BMS Postdoctoral Researchers and Fellows
This main University page aims to provide easy access to information you may need during your first weeks in the Faculty.
The next induction for Postdoctoral researchers/ research fellows starting in the Faculty of Science will take place on:
- Wednesday 16th March 2016, 9:15- 4pm.
This induction session is specific to the needs of early career researchers. It will bring a group of postdoctoral researchers as well as fellows from across departments in the Faculties of Science as well as Medicine, Dentistry and Health. Note. There will be a summer meeting on Monday 11th July.
This session will be useful:
- If you have recently started a Postdoc in Sheffield
- If you are a researcher who did a PhD in Sheffield and has transited to a postdoctoral position
This session will help you reflect on where you are now in your career, what you want to get out of your postdoctoral position, and it will also help you plan and structure your professional development for the time ahead. Don't wait the end of your contract to consider the planning of your career...Start Planning NOW!
Please get in touch to confirm your participation by booking your details into the Learning Management System:
See the workshop "Making the most of your Postdoc", click "more info" and Enroll
Making the most of your Postdoc/ research contract
This session covers three core areas:
- The status quo: What is a post-doc for? Where does it sit in my career? What are the expectations? What do I need to do?
- The potential future: What do academics need to have to develop their career? Which skills & competencies do I need to develop for academic and other careers?
- Planning the journey: Where am I now? Where am I going?
During the session, researchers will:
- Hear from researchers further ahead in their career (other Postdocs/ fellows/ lecturers/ university teachers
- Meet key professional staff and peers (researcher development manager, HR staff, Research and Innovation staff, Research Staff representatives)
- Consider the opportunities available, review professional development priorities, and start developing a career plan
Developing an academic career and/or gaining all the skills/competencies required for the wider job market is not easy. We aim to support you throughout this process during your time at The University. Our intention is to enable you to become proactive and engaged researchers seeking opportunities for your professional development.
Comments from previous participants:
- "I found the course more useful than I though since it's often easy to overlook things that are obvious and it was useful for me to really consider what I need to do NOW in order to achieve my future goals."
- "The speakers talking about their own experiences were inspirational.”
- "I met new people, learned about the university structure and departments, got to know all the services and organisations the uni offers to help us for current position and future career."
- "I understand much more the opportunities available to me at The University of Sheffield and I feel enthused to be involved in them!"
- "This session was thought provoking and has made me consider my future career more carefully. It has also stressed that I should make the most of being in the lab during my Postdoc and also to use the resources I have available here in Sheffield.”
- "I understand my situation as a postdoc better and I am more aware of the things I have to do to be able to progress / find another job as a postdoc”
- "I learned a great deal about career paths that I had not even known were available and have begun to rethink my direction going forward."
- "A better perspective of what I might need to do to move forward in my research career."