B.E., M.S., Ph.D., C.Chem.
I obtained a BEng. (2000) in Petrochemical Engineering, from University of Pune, India followed by M. S. and Ph.D. (2003) in Materials Science and Engineering, from University of Cincinnati, USA. Between 2003-2008, I gained post-doctoral experience from University of Delaware and Nottingham Trent University. After a brief lectureship in Chemistry at Nottingham Trent University, I became a Lecturer (2010) in Chemical and Process Engineering, University of Strathclyde. In 2016, I moved to the University of Sheffield to take the position of Senior Lecturer in Chemical and Biological Engineering, where I leads the Green Nanomaterials research group.
I'm Associate Editor of SILICON. He is an elected member of Royal Society of Chemistry’s Materials Chemistry Division Council and EPSRC’s Early Career Forum for Manufacturing Research. I've held various visiting positions including at RIKEN, Japan, IIT Bombay, and University of Akron, USA and I have also organised and served on scientific committee of national and international conferences.
Teaching Excellence award, 2013 and 2015.
Manufacturing Green Nanoparticles for Efficient Cell Manufacture, 2014-16, EPSRC (EP/L017059/1), PI.
Exploitation of Green Routes for Manufacturing Nanosilica for Molecular Filtration, Impact Acceleration
award, 2015, PI.
Co-Firing Tyre-Derived Fuel at Pulverised-Coal Combustion Power Stations, Funded by Encompass, 2014-15, PI.
Building Nanomaterials Manufacturing capabilities, Impact Acceleration award, 2015, PI.
Feasibility of a wetting layer absorption carbon capture process based on chemical solvents, 2012-15,
EPSRC (EP/J019704/1&2), Co-I.
Green Nanomaterials: Optimisation for Delivery Applications and Understanding Biological Safety,
2012-16, EPSRC-DTG, PI.
My group provides consultancy and R&D services to a wide variety of sectors and markets including energy, waste derived products, petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, natural products. Specific examples include:
- Design, discovery and characterisation of nanostructured and porous materials
- Exploring scalability and optimisation of production of particles and particulate formulations
- novel solutions for air and water decontamination
- techno-economic and market evaluation of a variety of processes and materials.
- Emami FS, Puddu V, Berry RJ, Varshney V, Patwardhan SV, Perry CC & Heinz H (2016) Erratum: Force Field and a Surface Model Database for Silica to Simulate Interfacial Properties in Atomic Resolution (Chemistry of Materials (2014) 26:8 (2647-2658) DOI: 10.1021/cm500365c). Chemistry of Materials, 28(1), 406-407.
- Patwardhan S, Gibson LT, Alotaibi KM, Shiels L, Lacaze L, Peshkur TA, Anderson P, Machala L & Critchley K (2016) Iron Supported On Bioinspired Green Silica for Water Remediation. Chemical Science. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Patwardhan S, Davidson S, Lamprou D, Urquhart A & Grant MH (2016) Bioinspired Silica Offers a Novel, Green, and Biocompatible Alternative to Traditional Drug Delivery Systems. ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng., 2(9), 1493-1503. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- McKinstry C, Cathcart RJ, Cussen EJ, Fletcher AJ, Patwardhan SV & Sefcik J (2016) Scalable continuous solvothermal synthesis of metal organic framework (MOF-5) crystals. Chemical Engineering Journal, 285, 718-725. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Emami FS, Puddu V, Berry RJ, Varshney V, Patwardhan SV, Perry CC & Heinz H (2014) Prediction of Specific Biomolecule Adsorption on Silica Surfaces as a Function of pH and Particle Size. Chemistry of Materials, 26(19), 5725-5734.
- Baker PJ, Patwardhan SV & Numata K (2014) Synthesis of Homopolypeptides by Aminolysis Mediated by Proteases Encapsulated in Silica Nanospheres. Macromolecular Bioscience, 14(11), 1619-1626.
- Steven CR, Busby GA, Mather C, Tariq B, Briuglia ML, Lamprou DA, Urquhart AJ, Grant MH & Patwardhan SV (2014) Bioinspired silica as drug delivery systems and their biocompatibility. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2(31), 5028-5028.
- Drummond C, McCann R & Patwardhan SV (2014) A feasibility study of the biologically inspired green manufacturing of precipitated silica. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, 244, 483-492.
- Emami FS, Puddu V, Berry RJ, Varshney V, Patwardhan SV, Perry CC & Heinz H (2014) Force Field and a Surface Model Database for Silica to Simulate Interfacial Properties in Atomic Resolution. Chemistry of Materials, 26(8), 2647-2658.
- Forsyth C, Yip TWS & Patwardhan SV (2013) CO 2 sequestration by enzyme immobilized onto bioinspired silica. Chem. Commun., 49(31), 3191-3193.
- Forsyth C & Patwardhan SV (2013) Controlling performance of lipase immobilised on bioinspired silica. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 1(8), 1164-1164.
- McKinstry C, Cussen EJ, Fletcher AJ, Patwardhan SV & Sefcik J (2013) Effect of Synthesis Conditions on Formation Pathways of Metal Organic Framework (MOF-5) Crystals. Crystal Growth & Design, 13(12), 5481-5486.
- Kubiak-Ossowska K, Burley G, Patwardhan SV & Mulheran PA (2013) Spontaneous Membrane-Translocating Peptide Adsorption at Silica Surfaces: A Molecular Dynamics Study. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117(47), 14666-14675.