Connecting to Eduroam
The wireless network at UK universities is called eduroam. To connect to eduroam you will need to provide your username and password. However, when typing in your username add the text @sheffield.ac.uk - this will allow you to connect at Sheffield but if you visit another University your device will automatically connect to eduroam there too!
To connect to eduroam follow the steps below.
- Tap the Applications button, then select Settings.
- Select Wireless and Networks from the list
- In the next menu, select Wi-Fi settings
- The device will scan for wireless services, and detect eduroam. Select it.
- Make sure that EAP method is set to PEAP
- Set Phase-2 authentication to either None or MSCHAPV2
- Enter your username followed by @sheffield.ac.uk in the Identity box, and your password in the Password box. Then select Connect.
- The status will change to Connected and the wireless icon will appear in the status bar at the top.
Most problems with connecting phones to the wireless network are related to passwords:
- If you have followed the instructions above and your phone does not connect, you may need to synchronise your passwords. Use the link below to log into the account management page and click the option to synchronise your passwords.
- Some people are still trying to use a second password (vpn, rats password) to connect to wireless. This will not work, use your normal University password.
If you still have trouble connecting, talk to any member of staff in the Information Commons or visit the Computing Centre. We will be happy to help.