MSc in Dental Technology
Start Date: September 2015
Duration and mode of study: One year full-time
When can I apply?: We are accepting applications for this programme now. The deadline to submit an application is 31 August 2015.
Fees: (Please note fee's for 2016/17 will include a small inflationary increase.)
- Home/EU £9,770
- Overseas £22,100
Why choose the MSc in Dental Technology at Sheffield?
Sheffield MSc in Dental Technology is suitable for UK, European and overseas applicants. The programme provides students with advanced knowledge in the fundamental principles and techniques of Dental Technology that focus on the provision of highly advanced, technically demanding dental appliances and treatments. Its flexible modular structure enables the course to meet a wide range of student needs.
The MSc is suited to both dental technicians and clinical professionals that have a suitable training in basic dental technology. You will be able to study alongside other students from the School of Clinical Dentistry. As a result students have the opportunity to share their learning with those studying for differing dental qualifications. The School of Clinical Dentistry has been confirmed as one of the top departments in the UK for dental research in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise.
Postgraduate Support Scheme Scholarships
The University of Sheffield is offering 220 scholarships, each worth £10,000, to UK/EU students starting in 2015. The scholarships are part of a government-funded scheme aimed at widening access to postgraduate study for students from underrepresented groups.
For more information please click HERE
The MSc in Dental Technology has been designed to provide a progression from the fundamentals to more advanced topics and finally on to dissertation. Modules are Dental Materials Science, Introduction to Digital Dentistry and Dental Manufacturing, Scientific Writing and Health Informatics, Dental Laboratory Governance, Dental Technology, Research Methods in Clinical Dentistry, and a Research Project. All modules carry 15 credits excluding the research project which carries 60 credits and the Dental Technology module which runs across 2 semesters and carries 45 credits. To obtain a Masters in Dental Technology requires successful completion of all modules and research project. The course provides a range of generic transferable skills including tuition of basic study skills such as essay writing, referencing, and searching literature. The School also provides personal academic and pastoral support to all students.
Aims and Learning Outcomes
The MSc in Dental Technology seeks to provide students with an in depth understanding of the advanced techniques used in dental technology, their principles and practice, and apply this to the specific challenges in delivery, planning and management of dental technology laboratory services in their national context. The learning outcomes are:
- Thorough Knowledge and understanding of dental biomaterials
- Thorough understanding of the chosen modules taken
- An ability to critically analyse and assess individual cases and develop practical solutions to provide dental appliances
- Thorough understanding and ability to undertake research and apply key findings to the practice of dental technology
- A degree in dental technology or a relevant subject such as biomedical science or bioengineering. You should have at least two years post-qualification experience and be able to demonstrate advanced technical expertise in the field.
- English language: IELTS 6.5 with at least 5.5 in each component. This certificate cannot be more than 2 years old from the start date of the programme.
Please submit the following with your application:
- Degree certificate (including translation)
- University transcript (including translation)
- 2 references
- Supporting statement, which should detail why you are applying for this programme
- English Language certificate (as detailed above)
How to apply
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It is a quick and easy process.
Dr David Patrick
School of Clinical Dentistry
Claremont Crescent Sheffield
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 7962