Dr Renate Günther
Telephone: (0114) 222 2861
Email : email@example.com
BA in French and Spanish (Bradford), PhD (Lancaster)
Originally from Germany, I have lived in the UK since 1974. After working as a translator for a number of years, I completed my first degree in French and Spanish at the University of Bradford in 1982. I was subsequently appointed lectrice d’anglais at the University of Toulouse-LeMirail where I taught for a year, before embarking on my PhD thesis on the work of Marguerite Duras. I was a temporary lecturer at Bradford in 1988 and joined the French Department at Sheffield in 1989.
My main research interests include:
- the novels and films of Marguerite Duras
- Contemporary French cinema
- French feminist theories, in particular Irigaray and Wittig
Current and Recent Research Projects
- Psychoanalytic studies of Duras, with particular emphasis on
Jung and Klein
- representations of ageing in contemporary French cinema
- the relationship between fiction and theory in the work of Monique Wittig
Key Recent Publications
- Marguerite Duras, French Film Directors, MUP, 2002
- Marguerite Duras: Le Ravissement de Lol V Stein and L’Amant, Grant & Cutler, 1993
Book Chapters and Journal Articles :
- ‘Etrangers à nous-mêmes: Identity as Alterity in the Work of Marguerite Duras’, in:
B. Lebrun & J. Lovecy (eds), Une et Divisible? Plural Identities in Modern France, Peter Lang,
2010, pp. 211-222.
- ‘Images archétypes et voix archaïques : les origines du cinéma de Marguerite Duras’,
in : M. El Maizi & G. Stimpson (eds), Marguerite Duras: l’écriture dans tous ses états,
Special Issue on M. Duras, Ed. Minard, Série Lettres Modernes, Paris, 2007.
- Une femme qui boit, c’est scandaleux : Duras and female alcoholism’, in : M. Allison &
Y. Rocheron (eds), The Resilient Female Body : Health and Malaise in Twentieth-Century
France, Peter Lang, 2007, pp. 87-100.
- ‘Archetypal figures in Marguerite Duras’s India Song: A Jungian Perspective, Studies in French Cinema, Vol. 3, no. 2, Winter 2003, pp. 83-92.
- ‘Fluid Boundaries: The Violence of non-Identity in Marguerite Duras’s Representations of Female Relationships’, South Central Review (Texas A & M. University, USA), Vol. 19, no. 4,
Spring 2003, pp. 85-102.
- External Examiner at the University of Leicester, 2009-
- 2006 Joanna Elfving-Huang: ‘An Irigarayan Reading of Korean Women’s Writing’
- 2002 Sophie Bélot: ‘Representations of Gender in French Advertising’
Projects for postgraduate research:
- Fiction and theory in the work of Monique Wittig
- Psychoanalytic readings of the novels and films of Marguerite Duras
- Representations of Ageing in Contemporary French Cinema
- MA in European Gender Studies: Simone de Beauvoir’s ‘Le Deuxième sexe’
- MA in French Studies, core module Gender Theories II : the work of Beauvoir, Irigaray, Wittig and Kristeva
- FRE109/110 French Language and Communication I & II
- MDL103 European Cinema
- FRE301/302 French Language and Communication V & VI
- FRE223/224 Twentieth Century French Literature and Thought
- FRE229/330 Actualités Françaises
- FRE329/330 Feminism in Contemporary French Culture
- FRE305/306 Film Studies