Our graduates aren’t just employable, they’re employed. Our students progress into an incredibly diverse range of careers and employment sectors often progressing into key management and leadership positions.
Real World Experience.
- Degree with Employment Experience – Undertake a one year work placement as part of your degree programme. A year in employment will also enable you to further develop your transferable skills, become more commercially aware and may even secure your entry onto the graduate career ladder.
- Careers and employability modules – Tailored employability modules that focus on growing and selling your skills as a geographer to employers whilst providing practical advice on application processes.
- Royal Geographical Society and Geographical Association internships – as a leading UK geography department, we enjoy partnerships with both of these national bodies and many of our students are successful in securing valuable work experience opportunities with them.
- Ernst and Young Scholars of the Future – Two scholarships are available annually to Year 1 students, specifically designed by the company for our students. The scholarship includes a place on Ernst and Young Leadership programme, a summer internship or year long placement and a £1000 bursary for each year.
Here are some examples of the first jobs our graduates have gone into:
Travel Leisure and Culture
Environment and Sustainability
The Business World
Development and Global Issues
Regeneration and Planning
- A Global Perspective. A study by the Association of Graduate Recruiters (AGR) found that an “ability to work collaboratively with teams of people from a range of backgrounds and countries” is the most desirable graduate skill cited by multinational employers. This is a core skill obtained by all our Geography graduates.
- Be part of a culturally rich, international department, with students and staff bringing new perspectives and knowledge from all over the world.
- International fieldclasses (free in Year 2) will help you to gain a greater understanding of the interactions of people and landscape on a global scale, as well as enhancing your teamwork and critical thinking skills. All of our students benefit from a free international fieldclass in Year 2.
- Learn a language – The ‘Languages for All’ programme offers you the opportunity to learn a new language or enhance existing language skills. The University of Sheffield offers one of the widest ranges of language choices in any UK university, with over 20 languages to choose from.
- Study Abroad Degree – Widen your geography knowledge and strengthen key transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. The department has strong links with geography departments across Europe and further afield in the United States, Canada, Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Geography Support. In addition to a full programme of activities organised by the Students Union and the Careers Service, the department and your personal tutor will encourage and support you to look for ways in which you can make a truly unique contribution