Vadose zone contamination, colloid transport, fluorescence imaging, microbial pathogens
Kroto Research Institute
North Campus, University of Sheffield
Telephone: +44 (0)114 22 25785
Fax: +44 (0)114 222 5701
email : email@example.com
- MSci (2001), Planetary Science, University College London
- MSc (2003), Environmental Science, Birkbeck College, University of London
- PhD (2008), University of Sheffield ("High-resolution measurement of colloid transport in variably saturated quartz sand using Time Lapse Fluorescence Imaging")
I completed my first degree in Planetary Science at University College London before studying part-time for my MSc Environmental Science at Birkbeck. My PhD at Sheffield involved the development of novel experimental and analytical methods for the measurement of colloid transport and deposition in porous media (quartz sand). The application of these techniques to colloid transport problems in variably-saturated and unsteady/transient flow fields resulted in the publication of two (to date) first-author papers in the journal Environmental Science and Technology.
During my time as a PhD student, I have done work on behalf of the Environment Agency and CL:AIRE, including a literature review into state-of-the-art high technologies for in situ monitoring of biogeochemical processes in the hyporheic zone. I was also the administrator for the GPRG web pages during a significant restructuring of the site in 2005.
Current research interests
- High spatial and temporal resolution measurement techniques for solute and colloid transport in porous media
- Colloid transport, deposition and remobilisation in unsaturated, non-uniform and non-steady state porous media flow fields
- Human health risks from pathogens in the soil-water environment
I am currently employed as Project Co-ordinator for a Working Group funded under the Environment and Human Health Programme (NERC, ESRC, Defra, MoD, and other funders). The Group aims are to locate, identify and prioritise gaps in the current knowledge regarding the risks to human health arising from pathogens associated with soil-water environmental systems. Outputs will include a comprehensive critical review and proposals for interdisciplinary research to address key knowledge gaps.
Bridge, J.W., Banwart, S.A., and Heathwaite, A.L. (2007). High-resolution measurement of pore saturation and colloid removal efficiency in quartz sand using fluorescence imaging. Environ. Sci. Technol., 41(24), 8288-8294.
Bridge, J.W., Banwart, S.A. and Heathwaite, A.L.(2006). Noninvasive quantitative measurement of colloid transport in mesoscale porous media using Time Lapse Fluorescence Imaging. Environ. Sci. Technol., 40(19), 5930-5936
Bridge, J.W., (2005), High resolution in-situ monitoring of hyporheic zone biogeochemistry, Science Report SC030155/SR3, Environment Agency, Bristol, UK, 51 pp, ISBN:1 84432 424 9.