Dr Jennifer Walsh MBChB PhD FRCP FHEA
Metabolic Bone Centre
Northern General Hospital
Tel: +44 (0) 114 271 4705
Fax: +44 (0) 114 261 8775
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I trained in Endocrinology in Sheffield, and completed my PhD on Determinants of Peak Bone Mass and Bone Size in 2008, funded by an Arthritis Research UK clinical fellowship.
I was appointed as a Senior Clinical Lecturer in 2014.
My clinical interests are in young adult bone disease and endocrinology, and the late effects of cancer.
My research interests are in bone microarchitecture in skeletal maturation and ageing, the interactions of fat and bone, and treatment of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases. I am currently leading clinical studies of vitamin D physiology and a clinical trial of selenium for osteoporosis, and I am a co-investigator in the TOPaZ trial in osteogenesis inperfecta.
I teach in the Sheffield undergraduate curriculum, giving lectures and seminars on calcium physiology and metabolic bone disease, and masterclasses in teenage and young adult medicine. I run the AUBM training programme. I lead the CIMA MRes in musculoskeletal ageing, and teach regularly on the ECTS PhD training course and Mellanby courses on bone biochemical markers and vertebral fracture.
I completed the RCP/UCL Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education in 2012 and have since joined the RCP teaching team, as a tutor on the Doctors as Educators programme.
I am Training Programme Director for Endocrinology and Diabetes in South Yorkshire.
• Sheffield Children’s Hospital Charity Scientific Advisory Committee 2014-
• Brittle Bone Society Medical Board member 2012-
• Member of Society for Endocrinology Special Interest groups:
Bone and Mineral, Late Effects of Cancer, Teenage and Young Adult 2010-
• Organising and scientific programme committee for national Late Effects meetings 2012, 2014
• Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation associate board member 2011-2013
• Physiology of high dose vitamin D dosing
• The effects of gender and age on bone microarchitecture
• The effects of obesity on bone structure and strength
• Testosterone replacement in young male cancer survivors
• Bone loss in prostate cancer treatment
• Selenium treatment for osteoporosis
• TOPaZ trial in osteogenesis imperfecta
• Walsh JS, Gossiel F, Scott JR, Paggiosi MA, Eastell R. Effect of age and gender on serum periostin: Relationship to cortical measures, bone turnover and hormones. Bone 2017; 99: 8-13
• Walsh JS, Evans AL, Bowles S, Naylor KE, Jones KS, Schoenmakers I, Jacques RM, Eastell R.
Free 25-hydroxyvitamin D is low in obesity, but there are no adverse associations with bone health. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2016; 103:1465-1471
• Naylor KE, Jacques RM, Paggiosi MA, Gossiel F, Peel NFA, McCloskey EV, Walsh JS, Eastell R. Response of bone turnover markers to three oral bisphosphonate therapies in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Osteoporosis International 2016; 27: 21-31
• Evans AL, Paggiosi MA, Eastell R, Walsh JS. Bone density, microstructure and strength in obese and normal weight men and women in younger and older adulthood. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2015; 30: 920-928
• Dimitri P, Jacques RM, Paggiosi MA, King D, Taylor ZA, Frangi AF, Walsh JS, Bishop N, Eastell R. Leptin is a mediator of bone microstructural change in obese children. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015; 100: 594-602
• Walsh JS, Newell-Price JD, Debono M, Adaway J, Keevil B, Eastell R. Circulating serotonin and bone density, structure and turnover in carcinoid syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013; 98: 2902-2907
• Walsh JS, Paggiosi MA, Eastell R. Cortical consolidation of the radius and tibia in young men and women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2012; 97: 3342-3348
• Walsh J, Gittoes N, Selby P and the Society for Endocrinology Clinical Committee. Emergency management of acute hypercalcaemia in adult patients. Endocrine Connection 2016: 5; G9-11
• Bishop NJ, Walsh JS. Osteogenesis imperfecta in adults (attending physician commentary). Journal of Clinical Investigation 2014; 124: 476-477
• Walsh JS, Eastell R. Osteoporosis in men. Nature Reviews Endocrinology 2013; 9: 637–645
• Walsh JS, Eastell R. Role of estrogen in the age-related decline in bone microstructure (commentary) Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013; 98: 519-521