Dr Jennifer Walsh MBChB PhD FRCP FHEA
Metabolic Bone Centre
Northern General Hospital
Tel: +44 (0) 114 271 4705
Fax: +44 (0) 114 261 8775
Email : email@example.com
I trained in Endocrinology in Sheffield, and completed my PhD on Determinants of Peak Bone Mass and Bone Size in 2008, funded by an Arthritis Research UK clinical fellowship.
I was appointed as a Senior Clinical Lecturer in 2014.
My clinical interests are in young adult bone disease and endocrinology, and the late effects of cancer.
My research interests are in bone microarchitecture in skeletal maturation and ageing, the interactions of fat and bone, and treatment of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases.
I teach in the Sheffield undergraduate curriculum, giving lectures and seminars on calcium physiology and metabolic bone disease, and masterclasses in teenage and young adult medicine. I run the AUBM training programme and the regional teaching programme for Endocrinology trainees. I teach on the CIMA MRes and the ECTS PhD training course.
I completed the RCP/UCL Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education in 2012 and have since joined the RCP teaching team, as a tutor on the Doctors as Educators programme.
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Charity Scientific Advisory Committee 2014-
- Brittle Bone Society Medical Board member 2012-
- Member of Society for Endocrinology Special Interest groups:
Bone and Mineral, Late Effects of Cancer, Teenage and Young Adult 2010-
- Organising and scientific programme committee for national Late Effects meetings 2012, 2014
- Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation associate board member 2011-2013
- The effects of obesity on vitamin D metabolism
- The effects of gender and age on bone microarchitecture
- The effects of obesity on bone structure and strength
- Testosterone replacement in young male cancer survivors
- Bone loss in prostate cancer treatment
- Evans AL, Paggiosi MA, Eastell R, Walsh JS. Bone density, microstructure and strength in obese and normal weight men and women in younger and older adulthood. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2014; online first doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2407
- Paggiosi MA, Eastell R, Walsh JS. Precision of high resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography measurement variables: influence of gender, examination site and age. Calcified Tissue International 2014; 94: 191-201
- Walsh JS, Newell-Price JD, Debono M, Adaway J, Keevil B, Eastell R. Circulating serotonin and bone density, structure and turnover in carcinoid syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013; 98: 2902-2907
- Walsh JS, Paggiosi MA, Eastell R. Cortical consolidation of the radius and tibia in young men and women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2012; 97: 3342-3348