Dr Claudia Mazzà
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 6073
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 7890
Claudia received her PhD in Bioengineering in 2004 from the University of Bologna. She carried out her PhD and post-doc related research activities at the Department of Human Movement Sciences at the University of Rome "Foro Italico", where she was appointed as Assistant Professor from Jan 2006 to Jan 2013. She joined the University of Sheffield as a lecturer in Feb 2013.
Claudia's research has always been focused on human movement analysis and on the definition of quantative methods for the clinical assessment of an individual locomotor and postural ability. Her most recent work concerns the use of wearable inertial sensors and the mechanisms that rule upper body movements during walking.
- Gait analysis
- Gait and postural control
- Technologies for human movement analysis
- Musculoskeletal modelling
- Prinold JIA, Mazza C, Di Marco R, Hannah I, Malattia C, Magni-Manzoni, S, Petrarca M, Ronchetti A, Tanturri De Horatio L, van Dijkhuizen EHP, Wesarg S, Viceconti M & MD-PAEDIGREE Consortium (2016) A patient-specific foot model for the estimate of ankle joint forces in patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Di Marco R, Rossi S, Castelli E, Patanè F, Mazza C & Cappa P (2016) Effects of the calibration procedure on the metrological performances of stereophotogrammetric systems for human movement analysis. Measurement. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Ascani D, Mazzà C, De Lollis A, Bernardoni M & Viceconti M (2015) A procedure to estimate the origins and the insertions of the knee ligaments from computed tomography images. Journal of Biomechanics, 48(2), 233-237. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Storm FA, Heller BW & Mazzà C (2015) Step Detection and Activity Recognition Accuracy of Seven Physical Activity Monitors. PLOS ONE, 10(3), e0118723-e0118723. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Chen Y, Pani M, Taddei F, Mazzà C, Li X & Viceconti M (2014) Large-Scale Finite Element Analysis of Human Cancellous Bone Tissue Micro Computer Tomography Data: A Convergence Study. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 136(10), 101013-101013. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Riva F, Grimpampi E, Mazza C & Stagni R (2014) Are gait variability and stability measures influenced by directional changes?. BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING ONLINE, 13. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Bonnet V, Ramdani S, Azevedo-Coste C, Fraisse P, Mazzà C & Cappozzo A (2013) Integration of human walking gyroscopic data using empirical mode decomposition.. Sensors (Basel), 14(1), 370-381. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Castiglione F, Tieri P, De Graaf A, Franceschi C, Liò P, Van Ommen B, Mazzà C, Tuchel A, Bernaschi M, Samson C, Colombo T, Castellani GC, Capri M, Garagnani P, Salvioli S, Nguyen VA, Bobeldijk-Pastorova I, Krishnan S, Cappozzo A, Sacchetti M, Morettini M & Ernst M (2013) The onset of type 2 diabetes: proposal for a multi-scale model.. JMIR Res Protoc, 2(2), e44.
- Grimpampi E, Bonnet V, Taviani A & Mazzà C (2013) Estimate of lower trunk angles in pathological gaits using gyroscope data. Gait and Posture, 38(3), 523-527.
- Castiglione F, Diaz V, Gaggioli A, Liò P, Mazzà C, Merelli E, Meskers CG, Pappalardo F & von Ammon R (2013) Physio-environmental sensing and live modeling.. Interact J Med Res, 2(1), e3.
- Bonnet V, Mazzà C, McCamley J & Cappozzo A (2013) Use of weighted Fourier linear combiner filters to estimate lower trunk 3D orientation from gyroscope sensors data. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 10(1). View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Bonnet V, Mazzà C, Fraisse P & Cappozzo A (2013) Real-time estimate of body kinematics during a planar squat task using a single inertial measurement unit.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 60(7), 1920-1926.
- Mazzà C, Donati M, McCamley J, Picerno P & Cappozzo A (2012) An optimized Kalman filter for the estimate of trunk orientation from inertial sensors data during treadmill walking.. Gait Posture, 35(1), 138-142.
- Bonnet V, McCamley J, Mazza C & Cappozzo A (2012) Trunk orientation estimate during walking using gyroscope sensors. Proceedings of the IEEE RAS and EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, 367-372.
- McCamley J, Donati M, Grimpampi E & Mazzà C (2012) An enhanced estimate of initial contact and final contact instants of time using lower trunk inertial sensor data.. Gait Posture, 36(2), 316-318.
- Bonnet V, Mazzà C, Fraisse P & Cappozzo A (2012) A least-squares identification algorithm for estimating squat exercise mechanics using a single inertial measurement unit.. J Biomech, 45(8), 1472-1477.
- Bonnet V, Mazzà C, Fraisse P & Cappozzo A (2011) An optimization algorithm for joint mechanics estimate using inertial measurement unit data during a squat task.. Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference, 2011, 3488-3491.
- Bonnet V, Mazzà C, Fraisse P & Cappozzo A (2011) An optimization algorithm for joint mechanics estimate using inertial measurement unit data during a squat task.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2011, 3488-3491.
- Carlucci F, Mazzà C & Cappozzo A (2010) Does whole-body vibration training have acute residual effects on postural control ability of elderly women?. J Strength Cond Res, 24(12), 3363-3368.
- Iosa M, Morelli D, Nanni MV, Veredice C, Marro T, Medici A, Paolucci S & Mazzà C (2010) Functional taping: a promising technique for children with cerebral palsy.. Dev Med Child Neurol, 52(6), 587-589.
- Mazzà C, Zok M & Cappozzo A (2010) Head stabilization in children of both genders during level walking.. Gait Posture, 31(4), 429-432.
- Iosa M, Mazzà C, Pecoraro F, Aprile I, Ricci E & Cappozzo A (2010) Control of the upper body movements during level walking in patients with facioscapulohumeral dystrophy.. Gait Posture, 31(1), 68-72.
- Cappozzo A, Camomilla V, Della Croce U, Mazzà C & Vannozzi G (2009) Quantitative motor function evaluation: The VAMA project experience. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, 196(1), 187-195.
- Mazzà C, Iosa M, Picerno P & Cappozzo A (2009) Gender differences in the control of the upper body accelerations during level walking.. Gait Posture, 29(2), 300-303.
- Mazzà C, Iosa M, Picerno P, Masala F & Cappozzo A (2008) Gender differences in the control of the upper body accelerations during level walking. IFMBE Proceedings, 22, 43-46.
- Zok M, Mazzà C & Cappozzo A (2008) Should the instructions issued to the subject in traditional static posturography be standardised?. Med Eng Phys, 30(7), 913-916.
- Mazzà C, Iosa M, Pecoraro F & Cappozzo A (2008) Control of the upper body accelerations in young and elderly women during level walking.. J Neuroeng Rehabil, 5, 30. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Iosa M, Mazzà C, Frusciante R, Zok M, Aprile I, Ricci E & Cappozzo A (2007) Mobility assessment of patients with facioscapulohumeral dystrophy.. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon), 22(10), 1074-1082.
- Vannozzi G, Cereatti A, Mazzà C, Benvenuti F & Della Croce U (2007) Extraction of information on elder motor ability from clinical and biomechanical data through data mining.. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 88(1), 85-94.
- Pecoraro F, Mazzà C, Cappozzo A, Thomas EE & Macaluso A (2007) Reliability of the intrinsic and extrinsic patterns of level walking in older women.. Gait Posture, 26(3), 386-392.
- Mazzà C, Stanhope SJ, Taviani A & Cappozzo A (2006) Biomechanic modeling of sit-to-stand to upright posture for mobility assessment of persons with chronic stroke.. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 87(5), 635-641.
- Pecoraro F, Mazzà C, Zok M & Cappozzo A (2006) Assessment of level-walking aperiodicity.. J Neuroeng Rehabil, 3, 28. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Mazzà C, Zok M & Della Croce U (2005) Sequencing sit-to-stand and upright posture for mobility limitation assessment: determination of the timing of the task phases from force platform data.. Gait Posture, 21(4), 425-431.
- Zok M, Mazzà C & Della Croce U (2004) Total body centre of mass displacement estimated using ground reactions during transitory motor tasks: application to step ascent.. Med Eng Phys, 26(9), 791-798.
- Mazzà C, Benvenuti F, Bimbi C & Stanhope SJ (2004) Association between subject functional status, seat height, and movement strategy in sit-to-stand performance.. J Am Geriatr Soc, 52(10), 1750-1754.
- Mazzà C & Cappozzo A (2004) An optimization algorithm for human joint angle time-history generation using external force data.. Ann Biomed Eng, 32(5), 764-772.
- Sbriccoli P, Felici F, Rosponi A, Aliotta A, Castellano V, Mazzà C, Bernardi M & Marchetti M (2001) Exercise induced muscle damage and recovery assessed by means of linear and non-linear sEMG analysis and ultrasonography.. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 11(2), 73-83.
- Pancani S, Rowson , Tindale , Heron , McCarthy , Quinn , Reed , Stanton , Shaw , McDermott & Mazza () Assessment of the Sheffield Support Snood, an innovative cervical orthosis designed for people affected by neck muscle weakness.. Clinical Biomechanics. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Grimpampi E, Oesen S, Halper B, Hofmann M, Wessner B & Mazza C () Reliability of gait variability assessment in older individuals during a six-minute walk test. Journal of Biomechanics. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Morettini M, Storm F, Sacchetti M, Cappozzo A & Mazza C () Effects of walking on low-grade inflammation and their implications for Type 2 Diabetes. Preventive medicine reports, 2, 538-547. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Mazza C, Buckley C, Galna B & Rochester L () Attenuation of Upper Body Accelerations during Gait: Piloting an Innovative Assessment Tool for Parkinson’s Disease. BioMed Research International. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Di Marco R, Rossi S, Racic V, Cappa P & Mazza C () Concurrent repeatability and reproducibility analyses of four marker placement protocols for the foot-ankle complex. Journal of Biomechanics.
- Del Din S, Godfrey A, Mazza C, Lord S & Rochester L () Free-living monitoring of Parkinson’s disease: lessons from the field. Movement Disorders. View this article in White Rose Research Online
Conference proceedings papers
- Morettini M, Sacchetti M, Cappozzo A & Mazzà C (2015) A mathematical model of interleukin-6 dynamics during exercise. IFMBE Proceedings, Vol. 45 (pp 431-434) View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Di Marco R, Rossi S, Bachetti B, Mazza C & Cappa P () Effect of the calibration procedure of an optoelectronic system on the joint kinematics. Effect of the calibration procedure of an optoelectronic system on the joint kinematics (pp 319-323). Turin, Italy, 7 May 2015 - 9 May 2015.
- Di Marco R, Rossi S, Racic V, Cappa P & Mazza C () A comparison between four foot model protocols: the effect of walking on a treadmill. XXV Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics. Glasgow, 12 July 2015 - 16 July 2015.