Firth Court - University building

Student welfare

Keeping track

The only way to keep track of your son's or daughter's academic progress is to ask them. UK universities are not permitted to release information about academic progress or attendance (or anything else) to any third party without that student´s express consent. This includes parents. After the age of 18 your son or daughter is an independent adult.

Examination results are issued regularly to every student on a taught course – usually after the end of each semester.

If they inform you that they are facing academic problems, try to find out why. University work is very challenging and even A+ students may receive their first poor grades at this level.

University of Sheffield regulations allow students to re-sit failed examinations and even the most hard-working students sometimes have to do this.

All students are allocated a personal tutor who will be available to discuss academic or personal concerns on a 1 to1 basis.

Rights and responsibilities

During their time here, your son or daughter will have both rights within and responsibilities towards the University.

Our Student Services Information Desk provides details of these (this link will open in a new window):

Student Rights and Responsibilities information