Our staff are highly active across a wide range of research areas. In the Research Excellence Framework 2014, we were ranked among the UK's top ten physics departments for our research output.
There are five main areas of research in the Department, each with an international reputation for quality.
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Biological physics – Imagine: Imaging Life
- Inorganic Semiconductors
- Soft Matter Physics Group
- Particle Physics and Particle Astrophysics
- Condensed Matter Theory Group
For more information please see the individual group's websites.
Candidates for PhD research in any of the areas are invited. Please see each group's website for more details on the PhD research on offer.
General information on how to apply for PhD research can be found on the postgraduate admissions page: