The city – an extraordinary place
Sheffield is a diverse city, with a rich cultural life – the perfect place to spend your time studying for a postgraduate degree. We came joint first for social life and community atmosphere in the 2015 Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey.
A national park
The geography speaks for itself: a third of the city is inside the boundary of the Peak District National Park – one of Britain’s most cherished areas of outstanding natural beauty. It’s the greenest big city in England and the most peaceful. And Sheffield is famously friendly. As everyone who came here for the Tour de France will tell you, our hospitality is a point of pride.
Sheffield: the outdoor city – explore top running, walking, climbing and city experiences
Sheffield was voted the best UK city for countryside lovers – BBC Countryfile Magazine 2014
Culture and creativity
This is a city of makers, where the future is being forged. Advanced manufacturing is a key strength and Sheffield is also a great cultural centre, home to the most important theatre scene outside London. We make music, films and contemporary art. The number of people employed in the creative industries here is higher than the national average.
Sheffield hosts several major festivals each year, including the international DocFest, the MADE festival for entrepreneurs and Tramlines. The University plays a huge role in the cultural life of the city through projects like Festival of the Mind, Simon Armitage’s Lyric festival and our year-round programme of classical and contemporary music.
Ambition and opportunity
Social and commercial entrepreneurship flourish here. The University is a driving force. Our volunteering programme is one of the biggest in the UK and a model of best practice. Our enterprise team helps students turn ideas into viable projects.
For postgraduates looking to enhance their learning experience, Sheffield offers lots of opportunities. And it welcomes people who make their own. This is the ideal climate for ambition to thrive. The perfect place to take your postgraduate degree.
A lower cost of living
One of the first things new students ask us about Sheffield is how much things cost here. The answer's pretty simple: less than they cost elsewhere.
So however much you get in grants and loans for your living costs, it'll go further and last longer in Sheffield. And by the end of your time here there'll be less debt to pay off.
- With more than 50,000 students in Sheffield, shops and services are queueing up to offer discounts. Stationery, cinema tickets, hairdressing, driving lessons, music, kebabs... you name it, you can save on it – just by flashing your student ID.
- Sheffield is ranked as the fourth most cost-effective place to study in England in the 2015 Natwest Student Living Index.
- Your transport costs will be a lot less than in other cities. In Sheffield it's an easy walk from our student accommodation to the University. And loads of buses offer a student fare of just 50p.
- Our Students' Union – voted the best in the country on several occasions – offers a fine selection of shops, services and places to eat and drink at minimal expense.
- In Sheffield the best things in life really are free. Well, some of them. A trip to our stunning galleries or museums, a walk or bike ride in the Peak District, loads of gigs every week across the city... they won't cost you a penny.