Dr Georgina Jones [BA (Hons), MA, D.Phil]
Visiting Researcher, Professor of Health Psychology at Leeds Beckett University
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0806
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I work between ScHARR and the Academic Unit of Reproductive & Developmental Medicine in a role that bridges academic research and clinical practice through the application of social science. My main interest is understanding quality of life across a range of reproductive and gynaecological health conditions. This includes developing and validating instruments that can improve the assessment of patient reported outcomes in research and clinical practice. I became a Reader in Social Science in January 2012, having joined the University of Sheffield as a lecturer in September 2001. I undertook my D.Phil at the University of Oxford (Green College) working in the Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and the Health Services Research Section and developed a new health-related quality of life questionnaire for women with endometriosis (EHP-30). Since June 2010 I have been Director of the Short Course Unit at ScHARR.
Quality of life and social science issues within reproductive medicine including instrument development and psychometrics, gynaecological cancer, oocyte freezing, recurrent miscarriage, antenatal and postnatal care.
• MBChB: Phase 1B: Stress and Illness
• MBChB: Intercalated BMedSci Students
• Module Leader: HAR 6090 (Quantitative Data Analysis) on the Msc in Health and Social Care Research
• MPH Dissertation Supervision
• Current MD Supervision: Iain Goodhart, Vidya Tamahanker
• Currrent PhD Supervision: Kay Bowen, Victoria Brennan, Rosalind Haddrill (First Supervisor)
I am an Associate Editor for the journal Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. I have been a trustee of Endometriosis UK (2008 – 2009). I am on the Board of Directors for PCOS UK. Regular peer reviews for papers submitted to the journals: Human Reproduction, Human Reproduction Update, Obstetrics and Gynecology, British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Family Practice, European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Health & Quality of Life Outcomes, Quality of Life Research and Social Science & Medicine. Referee for grant applications to the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology charity Wellbeing of Women and the ESRC.
- Assessing the Risk of Spontaneous Premature Birth by Electrical Impedance Spectroscopy of the Cervix. MRC Developmental Pathway Funding Scheme. PI (Mr Dilly Anumba), GJ, Professor Simon Dixon, Dr Johnathon Boote. Professor Brian Brown, Professor Stephen J Walters, Dr Graham Stafford £622, 047.73
- Preserving fertility in women with cancer: quality of life and decision making in women offered egg and embryo banking prior to cancer treatment. Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Charitable Trust. PI (GJ), Dr Allan Pacey, Dr Diana Greenfield, Professor Robert Coleman, Dr Josh Wright, Mr John Tidy, Professor Pauline Slade, Professor Michael Campbell. £73,000.
- The Assessment of Levels of Stress in Patients Using Ovulation Prediction in Order to Try and Conceive. Swiss Precision Diagnostics. PI (GJ), Professor William Ledger, GJ, Professor M Campbell. £55,069.
- A Prospective Study on the Long Term Use of Decapeptyl and Livial in Women with CPP. IPSEN. PI (Professor W Ledger) GJ. £212,000.
- Assessing the Impact of Using e-PAQ-PO on Quality and Cost of Patient Care in Anaesthesia: an RCT . Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Charitable Trust. PI (Dr John Androfsky), GJ, Mr S Radley, Dr M Berthoud, Dr I Goodhart, Dr D Turnbull, Dr I Wrench £46,748
- Treatment for gynaeological cancer: Measuring outcome from the patients perspective, Weston Park Cancer Hospital. PI (GJ) Mr John Tidy, Professor William Ledger, Mr Stephen Radley, Dr Simon Pledge, Professor Sean Keogh. £81,299.
- Assessing the Impact of Using e-PAQ-PF on Quality and Cost of Patient Care in Urogynaecology: an RCT. Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Charitable Trust. PI (Stephen Radley), GJ, Dr Simon Dixon, Dr Stephen Walters. £50,000
- A pilot study to develop a new chronic pelvic pain questionnaire. Pfizer. PI (Professor William Ledger) GJ. £10,000
- Understanding why women present late for antenatal booking: a qualitative analysis. Sheffield Health and Social Care Research Consortium PI (GJ), Mr Dilly Anumba, Dr Caroline Mitchell. £36,484.
- The development of two postnatal health questionnaires: one for mothers and one for their partners. Sheffield Health and Social Care Research Consortium. PI (GJ) Dr Jane Morrell, Ms Jo Cooke Professor Sarah Stewart-Brown. £79,000.
1. Jones GL, Hall J, Ledger W, Balen A, Lashen H. (2011) Understanding the HRQoL of adolescents with PCOS: a qualitative study. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing. 40(5):577-88
2. Jones GL, Morrell CJ, Cooke JM, Speier D, Anumba D, Stewart-Brown S. (2011) The development of two postnatal health instruments: one for mothers (M-PHI) and one for fathers (F-PHI) to measure health during the first year of parenting. Qual Life Res. 2011 20(7):1011-22
3. Jones GL, Palep-Singh M, Ledger WL, Balen AH, Jenkinson C, Campbell MJ, Lashen H. Do South Asian women with PCOS have poorer health-related quality of life than Caucasian women with PCOS? A comparative cross-sectional study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010 Dec 20;8:149.
4. Boyle SE, Jones GL, Walters SJ. Quality of life, physical activity, weight status and diet in adolescent school children. Health
5. Waylen A, Jones GL, Ledger WL. (2010) Effect of cigarette smoking upon reproductive hormones in women of reproductive age: a retrospective analysis. Reprod Biomed Online. 20(6):861-865.
6. Waylen A, Metwally M, Jones GL, Wilkinson A, Ledger WL. (2009) Effects of cigarette smoking on clinical outcomes of assisted reproduction: a meta-analysis. Human reproduction Update. 15(1): 31-44.
7. Al-Azemi M, Jones G, Sirkeci F, Walters S, Houdmont M, Ledger W. (2009) Immediate and delayed add-back hormonal replacement therapy during ultra long GnRH agonist treatment of chronic cyclical pelvic pain. BJOG. 116(12): 1646-56.
8. Jones GL, Radley SR, Lumb J, Farkas A. (2009) Responsiveness of the electronic Personal Assessment Questionnaire – Pelvic Floor (ePAQ-PF). Int J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. Feb 3 (Epub ahead of print).
9. Jones GL, Hall JM, Ledger WL, Balen A. (2008) Health-related quality of life in women with polycytic ovary syndrome: a systematic review. Human Reproduction Update. 14(1):15-25.
10.Jones GL & Sutton A. (2008) Quality of Life in Obese Postmenopausal Women: A Review: Menopause Int. 14(1): 26-32.
11. Jones GL, Balen AH, Ledger WL. (2008) Assessing quality of life in PCOS and infertility. Human Fertility. 11(3): 173-85.
12. Jones GL, Radley SC, Lumb J, Jha S. (2008) Electronic pelvic floor symptoms assessment: tests of data quality of ePAQ-PF. Int J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 19(10): 1337-47.
I am based in the Health Economics & Decision Science Section.
This person does not have any publications available.