Emeritus Professor Bob Deacon
Emeritus Professor of International Social Policy
Room: Elmfield, G14 | Telephone: 0114 222 6407 (external), 26407 (internal)
Retirement Lecture and Publisher Reception
Wednesday 10 July 2013, 14:30–16:00
MAKING GLOBAL SOCIAL POLICY: BIOGRAPHY, CAREER, COMMITMENT, CIRCUMSTANCE
High Tor 1, The Edge
The presentation, using the ILO’s new Social Protection Floor Recommendation (SPF), will make the case for the role of biography and personal agency in shaping global social policy. The presentation will critically review the content of the SPF Recommendation and ask how it came to be agreed by the ILO and accepted by the G20 and the World Bank. It will be argued that the SPF resulted from the intersection of the biographies and careers of individuals with the idea that the world needed a global social floor, an idea whose time had come with the new circumstances of the 2008 global economic crisis which provided the opportunity for the ILO to act and ensure the idea could find home inside the institution of the ILO, and the wider global governance framework. The presentation will then turn to the emergence of the concept of global social policy more generally and, in perhaps surprising ways, offer an explanation of the intellectual biography of certain player in the shaping of that idea. The presentation is made on the occasion of the launch of Global Social Policy in the Making: The Foundations of the Social Protection Floor, Policy Press. It will be followed by a reception to which all are welcome.
- Director of the Globalism and Social Policy Programme (GASPP) which is a joint research initiative of the department and STAKES, the National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health, Helsinki. (For further information please visit the Globalism and Social Policy Programme (GASPP) site at: GASPP)
- Founding Editor of the journal Global Social Policy: An international journal of social development and public policy.
- Elected Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2002.
My main contribution is as a scholar in the field of social policy. This contribution has included the founding of two new journals; Critical Social Policy in 1980 and Global Social Policy in 2000. I was also a founding editorial board member of the journal of European Social Policy. I have pioneered three areas of study namely the study of:
- communist (and subsequently post-communist) social policy from about 1983 to 1997,
- globalisation and social policy from about 1995 to date and most recently analytical work in the field of
- World Regional Social Policy in collaboration with the United Nations University Centre for Comparative Regional Integration Studies (UNUCRIS) in Bruges.
This academic entrepreneurial role extended in 1997 to the creation of the Finnish funded international Globalism and Social Policy programme (GASPP). I also made a major contribution to the setting up in Thessaloniki, Greece of the South East European Research Centre (SEERC). I was elected to the Academy of Social Sciences in 2003. I currently hold the UNESCO Chair in Regional Integration, Migration and Free Movement of Peoples at UNUCRIS in Bruges.
- I have consequently undertaken advisory or consultancy work for international organisations in the field of international social policy. This has included work for the ILO, ILO-ITC, WHO, UNDP Human Development Report, UNDPTCDC, UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, ISSA, UNESCO, UNICEF, Council of Europe, the EU, the African Union and the ICSW. This advisory work to international organisations has been complimented by occasional work for the UK, Swedish and Finnish governments as well as those of the Czech Republic, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina etc. I am presently a member of the Scientific Committee of the International Social Science Council’s Comparative Research Programme on Poverty (CROP: www.crop.org).
- I have developed undergraduates and postgraduates in comparative and international aspects of social policy. This includes developing a pioneering World University Network (WUN) Master level course on Global Social Policy as well as the University of Sheffield MA in Global Social Policy. I currently also teach on the Masters in Public Affairs at Science-Po, Paris. I have undertaken the usual roles as an external examiner and as a quality assessor. I am presently a commissioner for the UK Foreign Office’s Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission that is responsible for operating the UK-USA Marshall Scholarship scheme and Chair of its education committee and an advisor to the Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme.
Curriculum Vitae - details all books published but includes other publications only for the period 1992-2010 and activities such as conference papers only from 1996. Summary information is provided about other publications and conference activities prior to then.
|Funded Research Projects|
|2003-2006||SEERC and ESRC Funds||International Actions and Social Policy in South East Europe|
|1997-2005||STAKES, National Research Centre for Welfare and Health, Helsinki||Grant awarded of £453,985 for period 1997-2005 to core fund GASPP,Globalism and Social Policy Programme; an Anglo-Finnish research programme. This work continues with other funding.|
|2001-2002||Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs||Globalisation Briefing Advice|
|1999-2001||Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs||‘The Contribution of Consulting Companies to EU Social Policy Technical Assistance to Eastern Europe’|
|1999-2000||UK DFID||‘The Social Dimension of Regionalism in Asia, Africa and Latin America’|
|1999||Finnish Ministry of Social Affairs and Health||‘The External Dimension of EU Social Policy’|
|1995-1997||ODA||'Social reconstruction and social development in post-war Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia'|
|1992-1996||Nuffield/Ford/LMU||'Global actors and the making of post-communist social policy in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union'|
I am Course Director of the MA in Global and International Social Policy and teach two of its modules:
- Global Social Policy and Governance
- Social Policy Analysis
I supervise PhDs in globalisation and social policy, international agencies and social policy, comparative social policy and other areas.
Publications since 2005
Deacon, B and Cohen S (forthcoming 2011), 'From the Global Politics of Poverty Alleviation to the Global Politics of Welfare State (Re)Building' Global Social Policy, 11(2)
Deacon, B (forthcoming) ‘Global Social Policy Responses to the Economic Crisis’, in Farnsworth K and Irving Z. (eds) Social Policy in Challenging Times: Economic Crisis and Welfare Systems, Bristol, Policy Press.
Deacon, B (forthcoming) ‘Shifting Global Social Policy Discourse and Governance in times of crisis’. In UNRISD (eds) Social and Political Dimensions of the Global Crisis: Implications for Developing Countries, Geneva, UNRISD.
Deacon, B and Cohen S (2011), 'From the Global Politics of Poverty Alleviation to the Global Politics of Welfare State (Re)Building', Global Social Policy, 11(2)
Deacon, B (2010)'Globale Soziale Strukturen, Institutionen, Akteure und Diskurse Ein Theorieansatz zur Globalen Sozialpolitikforschung', Zeitschrift fur Sozialreform, 55 (2)
Deacon, B with Yeates, N (2010) Radicalising Social Policy in the 21st Century: A Global Approach, in Walker A. et al. Fighting Poverty, Inequality and Injustice: A Manifesto Inspired by Peter Townsend, Bristol, Policy Press.
Deacon, B (2010) 'Globale Soziale Strukturen, Institutionen, Akteure und Diskurse Ein Theorieansatz zur Globalen Sozialpolitikforschung' Zeitschrift fur Sozialreform, 55 (2)
Deacon, B et al. (eds) (2010). World-Regional Social Policy and Global Governance: new research and Policy Agendas in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America, London. Routledge.
Deacon, B (2009) "Regional Social Policy from Above: International Organisations and Regional Social Policy", in Deacon et al (eds) (2009) World Regional Social Policy and Global Governance, London, Routledge.
Deacon, B (2009) "Regional Social Policy in Africa: Declarations Abound", in Deacon et al. (eds) (2009) op cit.
Deacon, B et al. (2009) "Towards a Global Federation of Regions with a Strong Social Dimension?", in Deacon et al. (eds) (2009) op cit.
Deacon, B (2008) 'The Prospects for Global Social Policy', in Leibfried S and Mau S (eds) Welfare States Construction, Deconstruction and Reconstruction. Volume 2 Varieties of Transformations. Cheltenham. Edward Elgar.
Deacon B, Hoestenberghe K Van, Lombaerde P De, Macovei, C (2008) Regional Integration, Decent Work and Labour and Social Policies in West and Southern Africa, Project Report for ILO-ITC and UNUCRIS, Bruges. UNUCRIS.
Deacon, B (2008) 'Global and Regional Social Policy Governance', in Yeates, N ed. Understanding Global Social Policy, Bristol, Policy Press.
Deacon, B and Stubbs, P (eds). (2007) Social Policy and International Interventions in South East Europe, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar.
Deacon, B, Ortiz, I. Zelenev, S. (2007) Regional Social Policy, UNDESA Working Papers No. 37, New York, UN.
Deacon, B (2007) Global Social Policy and Governance, London, Sage.
Deacon, B (2007), 'Social Policy and Politics and the International Level', in Hodgson S. and Irving Z (2007) Policy Reconsidered, Bristol, Policy Press.
Deacon, B (2007), 'The Politics of Global Social Policy Change', in Utting P et al Reclaiming Development Agendas: Knowledge, Basingstoke. Palgrave.
Deacon, B (2006), 'Kuresellesme ve Sosyal Politka: Hakkaniyetli Bir Refaha Tehdit', in Bugra A and Keyder C (eds). Sosyal Politika Yazilaru. Istanbul, Iletisim Yeyinlari.
Deacon, B (2005), ‘Global Social Policy: From Neo-liberalism to social democracy?’, in Cantillon, B. and Marx, I. (Eds) International Cooperation in Social Security, Antwerp, Intersentia.
Deacon, B (2005), 'Allocating a Global Levy', in Fabian Globalisation Group. Just World. London, Fabian Society and Zed Press.
Deacon, B and Stubbs, P (2005), 'The Making of Social Policy in South Eastern Europe: Theories, Methods, Politics', in Kuhnle, S (ed) Social Policy Developments in South Eastern Europe, Bergen, Rokkanseteret.
Deacon, B (2005), 'The governance and politics of global social policy', Social Policy and Society. 4 (4)
Deacon, B (2005) 'From ‘safety nets’ back to ‘universal social provision’: Is the global tide turning?' Global Social Policy, 5 (1) pp19-28.
Deacon, B et al (2005) Copenhagen Social Summit ten years on: the need for effective social policies, nationally, regionally and globally. GASPP Policy Brief Number 6, STAKES, Helsinki.
A full list of publications can be downloaded by clicking the link on the right of this page.