Moving in

We know that you'll have lots of questions. Find out everything you need to know about moving into University accommodation, from what to bring, where to collect your keys and how to get here.

ACS and Residence Life Staff at intro weekend 2019


The pre-arrival accommodation E-induction is available for students who are moving in during September and February. The E-induction is accessed through MUSE, after you have accepted your accommodation contract.

Everything you need to know

The e-induction contains important information about your move to Sheffield, including where you'll need to go to collect your keys, the teams who are here to help you during your stay, health and safety advice and lots more.

How to access your e-induction

The option will be available through MUSE once you have accepted your contract.

What to bring with you when you move in

What you need to bring

Bed linen
Cutlery, crockery, glasses, pans (self-catering)

Residents of Allen Court, Windgather C&D blocks at Ranmoor/Endcliffe - please note that induction pans are required for your hobs. 

Cleaning products
Coat hangers
Bin bags

You may want to bring Posters/photos
Crockery & cutlery (self - catered)
Pins for notice board
Laptop / PC
Passport (if considering working)
TV and TV Licence
You should not bring

Fairy lights    
Extension Leads
Fridges (mini drinks coolers only)

Clothes airers 

Immigration and visa information

Students with families

If you are an international student with dependants and you are applying for visas at the same time to enter the UK for the first time, you will not need to show proof of accommodation. However, if you wish to bring a dependant over to the UK later on, you are advised to provide evidence of suitable accommodation, such as a tenancy agreement.

Single students

If you are coming to the UK as a single student, immigration regulations do not require you to provide details of accommodation prior to a Visa being issued. If you are told that this is a requirement, please contact the Student Services Department immediately on:

Telephone: +44 114 222 9679
Post: SSID, Firth Court, Sheffield, S10 2TN

Safety and security

Your security and safety is a key priority for us and we have a wide range of measures in place to help ensure that you stay safe during your time with us. These include 24/7 security services, CCTV and regular patrols.

Although Sheffield is one of the safest cities in the UK, it is important that you take responsibility for your own personal safety.

Key collection during term time - where do I go?

Key collection point For accommodation blocks:
The Edge customer service reception Birchen, Broad Lane Court, Burbage, Cratcliffe, Crescent Flats, Crewe, Curbar, Derwent, Endcliffe Avenue Houses, Endcliffe Crescent Houses, Endcliffe Vale Flats, Froggatt, Howden, Lawrencefield, Mappin, Millstone, Oakholme Road House, Rivelin, Shore Court, Stanage, St George's, Studio 300, Yarncliffe
The Ridge customer service reception

Kinder, Laddow, Ramshaw, Ravenstones, Wimberry, Windgather

Allen Court reception Allen Court
St Vincent's reception St Vincent's Place

Temporary accommodation

If you need a place to stay on a bed and breakfast basis, there are several options including Halifax Hall, the University's own hotel, and Jonas which are both located close to the Ranmoor/Endcliffe residences.

There is a wide variety of hotels, B&Bs and guest houses around the city. To see some of the places you can stay in Sheffield you can download our PDF list, which includes full details and prices*. Most people prefer to stay closer to the University, so we've listed them in location order, with the closest being listed first.

Download our Sheffield hotels and guest houses (PDF: 678KB)

*Room prices correct at the time of publication.

A world top-100 university

We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.