Covid-19 updates

Advice from Accommodation Services for students in University owned and managed accommodation.


Last updated 16 July 2021

We want to keep our students informed of Accommodation and Commercial Services (ACS) plans for all students following the change in government advice from 19 July onwards.

For full information, please click on the link and find out more:

ACS do want to make you aware of information that is relevant to all students currently living in University-owned and Managed accommodation and for those as they prepare to start their time at university for the academic year 2021-22.

2021-22 New Students

Arrival weekend for the start of your Residence Contract is 18 and 19 September 2021 and you will be notified when you complete your e-induction as part of accepting the offer of accommodation, which day you are expected to arrive. You will be able to choose a time slot on that day to assist with making the move-in day as smooth as possible.

2021-22 International Students

If you are arriving from any country other than the UK then you will need to ensure you follow Government Guidelines on travel restrictions, which may be in place when you arrive. Full details can be found on The University website:

Please take time to read and fully understand what is required. It is very important that you do so. The website also provides information on how the university will support you if you are required to quarantine or self-isolate on arrival. 

If you are arriving from an amber list country then when you complete the e-induction you will be able to advise ACS of your travel plans including your date of arrival and the country you are travelling from. You will then be contacted directly to advise on accommodation that is available if you have booked University own and managed accommodation. 

Accommodation is available from 4 September 2021 to enable you to have been able to self-isolate prior to moving into your permanent room on the weekend of 18 and 19 September 2021. You will need to self-isolate in temporary accommodation and once the period of self-isolation ends you will be able to move to your permanent room. The accommodation made available will be en-suite and self-catered with bedding and kitchen utensils and cooking equipment made available for your use. There will also be food parcels provided with essential food items to support you during this time. 

You can choose to self-isolate with friends, family or relatives and then arrive over the weekend of the 18 and 19 September 2021. If you take this option you will not be able to take up the option of early arrival. 

If you have any questions, regarding arrival to University-owned and managed accommodation then please contact the accommodation office via email If you are moving into private accommodation then you will need to contact your accommodation provider directly to make arrangements for your arrival.

Current Residents - Summer 2021

If you have any signs or symptoms of COVID please ensure that you take a test and report a positive test result to the University and to Residence Life, this allows us to provide wellbeing checks and make sure you're okay. We also have procedures in place to provide support to you while you're self-isolating, including ordering food 

To report a positive COVID test result to the University please use this link:

To let Residence Life know about a test result please fill out this form:

The government has confirmed the lifting of all Coronavirus restrictions in England on Monday 19 July 2021, until this point you should follow current regulations.

Below are some of the restrictions being lifted from Monday, but the government is urging people to exercise caution in certain situations and encourage people to meet outside rather than indoors where possible.

Full details about the lifting of restrictions can be found on the Government website:

Lifting restrictions:

  • The 1m-plus rule is removed
  • There are no limits on how many people you can meet
  • Face coverings are no longer required by law
  • Nightclubs can reopen

While wearing a face covering is no longer a legal requirement there are some situations where it makes sense, such as on crowded public transport, and we strongly encourage our students to practice sensibility.

People around you could be immunocompromised, or caring for elderly relatives or young children, you might even have the virus but not be showing symptoms. Face coverings are now a personal choice, one that many of us will still make, so please be kind to one another and let’s keep pushing forward together.

The success of the vaccination programme has allowed the country to lift restrictions, so it’s vital that you take up the offer of the vaccine if you are able to. Everyone over the age of 18 can get the vaccine, including international students regardless of immigration or visa status, and it doesn’t matter if you’re living at your term-time or home address.

The Octagon Vaccination Centre is offering vaccines by appointment and drop-in sessions, for more information please visit the University website:

Please visit the Government website for more detailed information on COVID regulations:

I wear my face-covering in public for three reasons:

1. HUMILITY: I don't know if I have COVID as it is clear that people can spread the disease before they have symptoms.

2. KINDNESS: I don't know if the person I am near has a child battling cancer, or cares for their elderly mother. While I might be fine, they might not.

3. COMMUNITY: I want my community to thrive, businesses to stay open, employees to stay healthy. Keeping a lid on COVID helps us all!

A world top-100 university

We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.