Personal Tutors

Within the first few weeks of arriving at the University, your department will allocate you a Personal Tutor. This is a member of academic staff in your department who is there to help you if you are having any difficulties: with your studies or personal difficulties that you are worried about or are impacting on your studies.

Your Personal Tutor is likely to be the same person throughout your degree, although this may change if your Personal Tutor goes on Research Leave. If this occurs, your Department will allocate you a replacement Personal Tutor.

Your Personal Tutor will organise to meet you periodically during your time at University to discuss how you are getting on and if you have any concerns. However, if you are experiencing difficulties, don't wait for your scheduled meeting but do contact your Personal Tutor as they will want to help you identify ways to help resolve the problem.

You can email or phone your Personal Tutor to ask for an appointment or visit your Personal Tutor during their office hours. It is important to meet with your personal tutor early in on in your programme so you know who to go to if you have a problem.

If a student is not happy with his/her personal tutor, he/she should discuss this with the ACSE Learning and Teaching Manager. You should email to discuss this.