Dr George Konstantopoulos
Dipl. Eng, PhD, MIEEE, FHEA
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Senior Lecturer, EPSRC UKRI Innovation Fellow
+44 114 222 5637
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
Dr George Konstantopoulos is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering (ACSE), University of Sheffield. He received his 5-year Diploma (equivalent to MEng) and PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Patras, Greece, in 2008 and 2012, respectively. From 2011 to 2012, he worked as an Electrical Engineer at the Greek Public Power Corporation (PCC) in the area of renewable systems integration to the medium voltage grid.
Since 2013, he has been with the Department of ACSE, University of Sheffield, holding the positions of Research Associate, Research Fellow, Lecturer and Senior Lecturer working in the area of control design and analysis of power converters in smart grid applications. Dr Konstantopoulos is currently an EPSRC UKRI Innovation Fellow in the priority area of cheap and clean energy technologies. He is a member of the IEEE, a certified engineer and member of the National Technical Chamber of Greece, and a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Research interests
My research interests lie in the intersection of the ‘control systems’ and ‘power systems’ research areas, in particular:
- Advanced control design of power electronic converters;
- Nonlinear modelling and control of renewable energy systems (PV, wind power, etc.);
- Nonlinear stability of microgrids and smart grids;
- Control design of electrical drives and vehicles;
- Fault ride-through control of grid-tied converters (inverters, rectifiers);
- Conditions for stability of power networks;
- Fundamental nonlinear control theory.
- Grid-supporting three-phase inverters with inherent RMS current limitation under balanced grid voltage sags. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. View this article in WRRO
- Towards the integration of modern power systems into a cyber–physical framework. Energies, 13(9). View this article in WRRO
- Online optimal and adaptive integral tracking control for varying discrete‐time systems using reinforcement learning. International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing. View this article in WRRO
- Current-limiting droop control design and stability analysis for paralleled boost converters in DC micro-grids. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Stability analysis and nonlinear current-limiting control design for DC micro-grids with CPLs. IET Smart Grid, 3(3), 355-366. View this article in WRRO
- Enhanced current-limiting droop controller for grid-connected inverters to guarantee stability and maximize power injection under grid faults. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. View this article in WRRO
- State-limiting PID controller for a class of nonlinear systems with constant uncertainties. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control. View this article in WRRO
- Voltage Support under Grid Faults with Inherent Current Limitation for Three-Phase Droop-Controlled Inverters. Energies, 12(6). View this article in WRRO
- Stability Analysis and Control of a Microgrid against Circulating Power between Parallel Inverters. Energy Procedia, 157, 1061-1070. View this article in WRRO
- Current-Limiting DC/DC Power Converters. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 27(2), 855-863. View this article in WRRO
- Current-limiting Three-phase Rectifiers. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 65(2), 957-967. View this article in WRRO
- Current-Limiting Droop Control of Grid-Connected Inverters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64(7), 5963-5973. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear Control of Single-Phase PWM Rectifiers with Inherent Current-Limiting Capability. IEEE Access, 4, 3578-3590. View this article in WRRO
- Improved Synchronverters with Bounded Frequency and Voltage for Smart Grid Integration. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 9(2), 786-796. View this article in WRRO
- PLL-less Nonlinear Current-limiting Controller for Single-phase Grid-tied Inverters: Design, Stability Analysis and Operation Under Grid Faults. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63(9), 5582-5591. View this article in WRRO
- Bounded Integral Control of Input-to-State Practically Stable Nonlinear Systems to Guarantee Closed-Loop Stability. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 61(12), 4196-4202. View this article in WRRO
- Stability analysis and fail-safe operation of inverters operated in parallel. International Journal of Control, 88(7), 1410-1421. View this article in WRRO
- Bounded droop controller for parallel operation of inverters. Automatica, 53, 320-328. View this article in WRRO
- Advanced Integrated Modeling and Analysis for Adjustable Speed Drives of Induction Motors Operating With Minimum Losses. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 30(3), 1237-1246.
- Enhanced Control Design of Simple DC-DC Boost Converter-driven DC Motors: Analysis and Implementation. Electric Power Components and Systems, 43(17), 1946-1957.
- Grid-friendly wind power systems based on the synchronverter technology. Energy Conversion and Management, 89, 719-726.
- Full-Scale Modeling, Control, and Analysis of Grid-Connected Wind Turbine Induction Generators With Back-to-Back AC/DC/AC Converters. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 2(4), 739-748.
- Modified PI speed controllers for series-excited dc motors fed by dc/dc boost converters. Control Engineering Practice, 23(1), 14-21.
- Bounded nonlinear stabilizing speed regulators for VSI-fed induction motors in field-oriented operation. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 22(3), 1112-1121.
- Non-linear voltage regulator design for DC/DC boost converters used in photovoltaic applications: Analysis and experimental results. IET Renewable Power Generation, 7(3), 296-308.
- Generalized Nonlinear Stabilizing Controllers for Hamiltonian-Passive Systems With Switching Devices}. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology.
- Control Design and Small-Signal Stability Analysis of Inverter-Based Microgrids with Inherent Current Limitation under Extreme Load Conditions. Electric Power Systems Research.
Conference proceedings papers
- PLL-less three-phase droop-controlled inverter with inherent current-limiting property. IECON 2019 - 45th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (pp 4013-4018). Lisbon, Portugal, 14 October 2019 - 17 October 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Current-limiting droop controller for single-phase inverters operating in island mode. 45th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2019) Proceedings (pp 1659-1664), 14 October 2019 - 17 October 2019. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Power management optimisation for hybrid electric systems using reinforcement learning and adaptive dynamic programming. 2019 American Control Conference (ACC) (pp 2608-2613). Philadelphia, PA, USA, 10 July 2019 - 12 July 2019.
- Three-Phase Current-Limiting Droop Controlled Inverters Operating in Parallel. Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Milan PowerTech, 23 June 2019 - 27 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Online Pricing via Stackelberg and Incentive Games in a Micro-Grid. 2019 18th European Control Conference (ECC), 25 June 2019 - 28 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear PI controller for systems with state constraint requirements. Proceedings of the European Control Conference 2019. Naples, Italy, 25 June 2019 - 28 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Control of DC power distribution system of a hybrid electric aircraft with inherent overcurrent protection. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Electrical Systems for Aircraft, Railway, Ship Propulsion and Road Vehicles & International Transportation Electrification Conference (ESARS-ITEC), 7 November 2018 - 9 November 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Current-limiting droop control design of paralleled AC/DC and DC/DC converters in DC micro-grids. IECON 2018 - 44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (pp 132-137), 21 October 2018 - 23 October 2018. View this article in WRRO
- SRF-based current-limiting droop controller for three-phase grid-tied inverters. 44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2018) Proceedings (pp 282-287), 21 October 2018 - 23 October 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Three-Phase Grid-Connected Inverters Equipped with Nonlinear Current-Limiting Control. Proceedings of 2018 UKACC 12th International Conference on Control (CONTROL) (pp 38-43), 5 September 2018 - 7 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Bidirectional dc/dc power converters with current limitation based on nonlinear control design. 2018 26th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), 19 June 2018 - 22 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Current-Limiting Droop Controller with Fault-Ride-Through Capability for Grid-Tied Inverters. 2017 IEEE PES ISGT Europe Conference Proceedings View this article in WRRO
- Design of a UDE Frequency Selective Filter to Reject Periodical Disturbances. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 50(1) (pp 7824-7829) View this article in WRRO
- Influence of Fault-Ride-Through Requirements for Distributed Generators on the Protection Coordination of an Actual Distribution System with Reclosers. 2017 IEEE Manchester PowerTech Proceedings View this article in WRRO
- Current-limiting droop control with virtual inertia and self-synchronization properties. IECON 2017 - 43rd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 29 October 2017 - 1 November 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Power sharing of parallel operated DC-DC converters using current-limiting droop control. 2017 25th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), 3 July 2017 - 6 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Enhanced Bounded Integral Control of Input-to-State Stable Nonlinear Systems. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 50(1) (pp 8151-8156) View this article in WRRO
- Dynamic grid voltage support from distributed energy resources during short-circuits. 2017 52nd International Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), 28 August 2017 - 31 August 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear control of dc/dc power converters with inherent current and power limitation. 2016 24th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), 21 June 2016 - 24 June 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear current-limiting control for grid-tied inverters. 2016 American Control Conference (ACC), 6 July 2016 - 8 July 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Boundedness of Synchronverters. 2015 European Control Conference (ECC), 15 July 2015 - 17 July 2015.
- Bounded integral control for regulating input-to-state stable non-linear systems. 2015 American Control Conference (ACC), 1 July 2015 - 3 July 2015.
- Current-limiting non-linear controller for single-phase AC/DC PWM power converters. 2015 American Control Conference (ACC), 1 July 2015 - 3 July 2015.
- Bounded droop controller for accurate load sharing among paralleled inverters. 2014 American Control Conference, 4 June 2014 - 6 June 2014.
- Design and analysis of a novel bounded nonlinear controller for three-phase ac/dc converters. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (pp 3659-3664)
- Stable parameter-free nonlinear controller for AC/DC voltage source converters. 2013 21st Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, MED 2013 - Conference Proceedings (pp 131-136)
- Studying complexity for a modified dissipative hamiltonian system: From Lyapunov stability at the origin to a limit cycle and chaos. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 46(2) (pp 617-622)
- Distributed generation power system modeling in nonlinear Hamiltonian form. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, ICIT 2012, Proceedings (pp 217-223)
- Novel dynamic nonlinear control scheme for three-phase AC/DC voltage source converters. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, ICIT 2012, Proceedings (pp 638-643)
- Modeling and twin nonlinear controller design for ac/dc voltage source converters driven dc series motors. 2012 20th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, MED 2012 - Conference Proceedings (pp 398-403)
- Simplified nonlinear control design and stability analysis for controlled voltage fed induction motors. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Control and Applications, CA 2012 (pp 85-92)
- An innovated nonlinear voltage regulator for DC/DC converters: Theoretical and experimental results on PV appplications. IET Conference Publications, Vol. 2011(579 CP) (pp 83)
- Dynamic performance analysis and experimental verification of a boost converter driven by a new nonlinear controller. 2011 19th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, MED 2011 (pp 295-300)
- Stability and convergence analysis for a class of nonlinear passive systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (pp 1753-1758)
- A new nonlinear dynamic output voltage controller for power dc/dc boost converters. IET Conference Publications, Vol. 2010(572 CP)
- Enhancing open-loop performance of overhead cranes by a simple energy-based hidden control loop. 2009 17th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, 24 June 2009 - 26 June 2009.
- Experimental verification of an adaptive input shaping scheme for hoisting cranes. 2009 17th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, 24 June 2009 - 26 June 2009.
- Simple energy based controllers with nonlinear coupled-dissipation terms for overhead crane systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (pp 3149-3154)
- View this article in WRRO Novel droop control design for overvoltage protection of DC microgrids with a constant power load. MED2020
- View this article in WRRO Admittance matrix computation and stability analysis of droop controlled DC micro-grids with CPL. IFAC 2020
- Constrained control for microgrids with constant power loads. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control
- Research group
I am currently offering projects in the areas of ‘nonlinear control in microgrids and smart grids’. For details please see here.
- EPSRC, EPSRC-UKRI Innovation Fellowship, G. Konstantopoulos, 'Affordable and clean energy via resilient and autonomous micro-grids', June 2018 - June 2021
- Innovate UK, G. Konstantopoulos, I. Esnaola, D. Bauso, ‘ADvanced multi-Energy management and oPTimisation time shifting platform (ADEPT)’, August 2017 August 2018, £604,175 (Sheffield £151,800).
- Grantham Centre for Sustainable Futures, G. Konstantopoulos, M Walker, M. Mayfield, ‘Developing smart and resilient micro-grids in rural Africa’, January 2017 - December 2017, £5,930.
- Grantham Centre for Sustainable Futures, M. Pourkashanian, G. Konstantopoulos, C. Jones, M. Walker, S. Chaudhury, ‘Sustainable rural electrification in the developing world using microgrid integration of biogas and other renewable energy sources: A study of the engineering and behavioural challenges, and human/technology interaction’, September 2017 - September 2021, PhD studentship.
- EPSRC, Summer vacation bursary programme, G. Konstantopoulos, ‘Control design technologies for the power electronic system of electric vehicles’, June 2016 - August 2016, £2,700.
- Professional activities
Q.-C. Zhong, and G. C. Konstantopoulos, Current-Limiting Droop Controller, UK Patent GB1521725.0, Appl. 10 December 2015.