Dr John Oyekan
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Lecturer in Digital Manufacturing
+44 114 222 5232
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
John Oyekan is a Lecturer in Digital Manufacturing in the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering at the University of Sheffield. He received a Ph.D degree in Computer Science and Electronic Engineering from the University of Essex as well as a MSc Robotics and Embedded Systems from same. Prior to the University of Sheffield, he was an Engineer at the Manufacturing Technology Centre in Coventry were he developed software architectures and algorithms for Autonomous Systems and a Research Fellow at Cranfield University carrying out research in Manufacturing Informatics.
He has over 3 years experience working in industry and his work is characterised by both fundamental and applied research in collaboration with partners in the automotive, aerospace and manufacturing sectors. He has over 30 publications in the areas of swarm robotics, manufacturing informatics, bio-inspired algorithms and sensing.
- Research interests
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ALGORITHMS FOR MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS:
This theme investigates various AI algorithms to improve the efficiency of manufacturing systems. One such example we are looking at is the development of algorithms to enable human and robots to work together in close proximity with each other. This means that in the future safety cages that are currently used to protect humans from industrial robots could be removed enabling humans and robots to share the same workspace like work buddies. They will be able to understand each other as when humans are working alongside each other on various tasks. Another example is the use AI to augment humans during repetitive tasks. We have conducted some work that enables a system to non-intrusively check the manual work a human is performing and feedback to the human if a mistake is made. This eliminates the need of a testing station in manual assembly lines thereby saving costs.
DIGITAL TWINS FOR ZERO PROTOTYPING OF FACTORY LAYOUTS:
The increasing complexity of manufacturing due to varying and bespoke customer demands calls for a factory that is able to be quickly reconfigured and build. But how do we ensure that the factory layout is right the first time and hence provide savings in cost? We investigate the use of virtual reality tools and simulation to develop virtual models of factories, simulate them and understand material as well as human flows before actual construction. The virtual models enable various hypotheses to be safely and cheaply tested.
REMOTE COLLABORATIVE TASK PLATFORM ENABLED BY GAMING TECHNOLOGIES:
The increasing global spread of manufacturing enterprises calls for a real-time platform that enables geographically dispersed engineering teams to engage in collaborative problem solving and knowledge sharing. We investigate the use of new ICT gaming devices to develop a collaborative platform that: (a) enables remote sharing of physical engineering contexts, (b) allows synchronous exchange of human activity within the shared contexts, (c) provides intuitive augmentation of task environments with knowledge generated from the collaborating sites and (d) provides just in time context based information to users. the platform is built using low-cost ICT gaming interface devices such as the Microsoft Kinect, unity3d environment as well as oculus rift, and has been demonstrated using a real use case from the automotive industry.
NATURE-INSPIRED ALGORITHMS FOR ROBOTS IN UNKNOWN ENVIRONMENTS:
Animals are able to minimise the cost associated with food search in relation to food intake. They are able to efficiently search and locate sparsely distributed food in large environments outside their perception range and still have enough energy to survive and reproduce. They are masters of energy optimisation. Their environment span from a couple of square miles up to hundreds of square miles. By studying the process by which they solve this task, we are able to write algorithms for unmanned aerial robots capable of navigation and exploration in the natural environment. Possible uses of our robots include autonomous visual structural inspection tasks as well as autonomous search and rescue.
- Circular production and maintenance of automotive parts: an Internet of Things (IoT) data framework and practice review. Computers in Industry, 136.
- Applying a fusion of wearable sensors and a cognitive inspired architecture to real-time ergonomics analysis of manual assembly tasks. Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 61, 391-405.
- Decentralised aerial swarm for adaptive and energy efficient transport of unknown loads. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, 67.
- Human in the loop: industry 4.0 technologies and scenarios for worker mediation of automated manufacturing. IEEE Access, 9, 103950-103966. View this article in WRRO
- A knowledge-based cognitive architecture supported by machine learning algorithms for interpretable monitoring of large-scale satellite networks. Sensors, 21(13). View this article in WRRO
- Distributed manufacturing: A new digital framework for sustainable modular construction. Sustainability, 13(3).
- Applying a 6 DoF robotic arm and digital twin to automate fan-blade reconditioning for aerospace maintenance, repair, and overhaul. Sensors, 20(16).
- Utilizing industry 4.0 on the construction site : challenges and opportunities. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. View this article in WRRO
- Utilising low cost RGB-D cameras to track the real time progress of a manual assembly sequence. Assembly Automation. View this article in WRRO
- Using Therbligs to embed intelligence in workpieces for digital assistive assembly. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 1-15. View this article in WRRO
- The effectiveness of virtual environments in developing collaborative strategies between industrial robots and humans. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 55, 41-54. View this article in WRRO
- Adapting Petri Nets to DES: Stochastic Modelling of Manufacturing Systems. International Journal of Simulation Modelling, 17(1), 5-17. View this article in WRRO
- Design and implementation of ergonomic risk assessment feedback system for improved work posture assessment. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science. View this article in WRRO
- Remote real-time collaboration through synchronous exchange of digitised human–workpiece interactions. Future Generation Computer Systems, 67, 83-93.
- Tracking and sensor coverage of spatio-temporal quantities using a swarm of artificial foraging agents. Journal of Bionic Engineering, 13(4), 679-689.
- Discrete Event Simulation and Virtual Reality Use in Industry: New Opportunities and Future Trends. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 46(6), 882-894.
- K-Order Surrounding Roadmaps Path Planner for Robot Path Planning. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 75(3-4), 493-516.
- A model for using self-organized agents to visually map environmental profiles. Ecological Complexity, 19, 68-79.
- Biologically-inspired behaviour based robotics for making invisible pollution visible: a survey. Advanced Robotics, 28(5), 271-288.
- Integrated Sensing Techniques for Assistive Chairs. International Journal of Intelligent Mechatronics and Robotics, 3(4), 58-70.
- Visual Imaging of Invisible Hazardous Substances Using Bacterial Inspiration. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 43(5), 1105-1115.
- A bio-inspired controller for unmanned aerial vehicles in chemical cloud coverage. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 225(6), 770-778.
- Mobile sensor networks for modelling environmental pollutant distribution. International Journal of Systems Science, 42(9), 1491-1505.
- A novel bio-controller for localizing pollution sources in a medium peclet environment. Journal of Bionic Engineering, 7(4), 345-353.
- Bio-Inspired Vision-Based Leader-Follower Formation Flying in the Presence of Delays. Robotics, 5(3), 18-18.
- Applying Deep Reinforcement Learning to Cable Driven Parallel Robots for balancing unstable loads: A ball case study. Frontiers in Robotics and AI.
- Attention Augmented Convolutional Neural Network for acoustics based machine state estimation. Applied Soft Computing.
- Introduction, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 1-10). Springer International Publishing
- Behaviour Based Coverage Controller, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 129-161). Springer International Publishing
- Literature Review, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 11-66). Springer International Publishing
- Investigative Process, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 67-76). Springer International Publishing
- Improvements and Towards Real World Applications, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 163-185). Springer International Publishing
- Developing and Implementing a Source Finding Controller, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 77-109). Springer International Publishing
- Relationship Between the Berg–Brown Model and the Keller–Segel Model, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 111-128). Springer International Publishing
- Conclusion, Tracking and Mapping of Spatiotemporal Quantities Using Unicellular Swarm Intelligence (pp. 187-194). Springer International Publishing
- A Behavior Based Control System for Surveillance UAVs, Advanced Information and Knowledge Processing (pp. 209-228). Springer London
Conference proceedings papers
- Guiding Deep Reinforcement Learning by Modelling Expert’s Planning Behavior. 2021 7th International Conference on Control, Automation and Robotics (ICCAR), 23 April 2021 - 26 April 2021.
- A digital maintenance practice framework for circular production of automotive parts. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 53(3) (pp 19-24). Cambridge, UK, 10 September 2020 - 11 September 2020. View this article in WRRO
- AN EXPLORATORY STUDY OF DIGITALLY-ENHANCED ADVANCED SERVICES FOR DOMESTIC APPLIANCES IN THE UK. Advanced Services for Sustainability and Growth
- A review of manufacturing systems for introducing collaborative robots. UK-RAS Conference for PhD and Early Career Researchers Proceedings
- A Knowledge Capture Framework for Remote Collaborative Virtual Environments. Advances in Manufacturing Technology XXXIII
- Towards data-driven cyber attack damage and vulnerability estimation for manufacturing enterprises. Smart Industry & Smart Education : Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Remote Engineering and Virtual Instrumentation (pp 333-343). Duesseldorf, Germany, 21 March 2018 - 23 March 2018.
- Ergonomic assessment tool for real-time risk assessment of seated work postures. Advances in Safety Management and Human Factors, Vol. 604 (pp 423-434), 17 July 2017 - 21 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Combining virtual reality enabled simulation with 3D scanning technologies towards smart manufacturing. 2016 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC) (pp 2774-2785). Washington, DC, USA, 11 December 2016 - 14 December 2016.
- Impact of model fidelity in factory layout assessment using immersive discrete event simulation. Proceedings of the Operational Research Society Simulation Workshop 2016, SW 2016 (pp 124-134)
- Gesture Detection Towards Real-Time Ergonomic Analysis for Intelligent Automation Assistance (pp 217-228)
- A 3D Immersive Discrete Event Simulator for Enabling Prototyping of Factory Layouts. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 38 (pp 63-67)
- A survey on assistive chair and related integrated sensing techniques. 2013 International Conference on Manipulation, Manufacturing and Measurement on the Nanoscale, 26 August 2013 - 30 August 2013.
- Stochastic ant agent for priority-based coverage. 2013 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 9 July 2013 - 12 July 2013.
- A novel bio-inspired distributed coverage controller for pollution monitoring. 2011 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, 7 August 2011 - 10 August 2011.
- Towards a Multi-peclet Number Pollution Monitoring Algorithm (pp 287-296)
- A novel bacterial foraging algorithm for automated tuning of PID controllers of UAVs. The 2010 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation, 20 June 2010 - 23 June 2010.
- Exploiting bacterial swarms for optimal coverage of dynamic pollutant profiles. 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, 14 December 2010 - 18 December 2010.
- Bacteria controller implementation on a physical platform for pollution monitoring. 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 3 May 2010 - 7 May 2010.
- Toward bacterial swarm for environmental monitoring. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics, 5 August 2009 - 7 August 2009.
- Exploiting bacteria swarms for pollution mapping. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), 19 December 2009 - 23 December 2009.
- Multi-Objective Optimisation of Robotic Active Particle Swarms for Continuous Repair of Large Scale High Value Structures. IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation
- Bio-inspired Multi-agent Model and Optimization Strategy for Collaborative Aerial Transport. China Intelligent Automation Conference
- DIGI-CORTEX: digital COgnitive architecture to achieve Rapid Task programming and flEXibility in manufacturing robots through human demonstrations, EPSRC, 08/2022 - 05/2025, £406,816, as PI
- NanoMan: Self-Optimising Nanoscale Manufacturing Platforms for Achieving Multiscale Precision, EPSRC, 01/2022 - 01/2025, £666,143, as PI
- Towards building an automated scoring model for assessing appropriate use of metadiscourse markers in Aptis Writing across CEFR levels: A multidisciplinary study, British Council, 09/2021 - 08/2022, £15,000, as PI
- Teaching activities
- Machine Learning