Dr Bryn Jones
Dr Bryn Jones MEng, PhD, CEng, MIET
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5613
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5683
Room: C11a, Amy Johnson Building
In 2004 I graduated from the University of Cambridge with an MEng in Electrical and Information Sciences, having spent a year of my degree at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
After graduating from Cambridge, I worked as an electronics engineer for the British Antarctic Survey at the Halley V research station, based in Antarctica. In 2006 I returned to the UK to undertake a PhD at Imperial College London, where my research focussed upon the control of fluid flows, with applications including the drag reduction of aircraft.
Between leaving Imperial and joining the ACSE Department, I worked as a senior systems engineer for the Scottish Association for Marine Science, designing low-power instrumentation for climate change scientists and researching novel energy harvesting technologies for use in polar environments.
- ACS317 State-Space Control Design. This course introduces state-space methods for the analysis and design of controllers for multivariable systems.
Previous students of this course have commented:
- “This has been the most interesting lecture course of my degree so far.”
- “Well taught, great module.”
- “Possibly the most informative, enjoyable, well structured course in my entire time in ACSE.”
- ACS336 Rapid Control Prototyping. This is the course where theory is put into practice and sees each student configuring data-acquisition devices to design real-time controllers on their own model helicopters.
Previous students of this course have commented:
- “The most interesting lab during my studies. Something completely new and different.”
- “This module was the best I've done at university so far! To be able to see the practical application of what we have learnt was the best bit. I now feel more confident using those skills in industry after I leave university. I wish more modules in my degree were like this one.”
- ACS6110 / ACS6336 Rapid control Prototyping (the MSc versions of ACS336).
LiDAR-based wind-turbine gust prediction.
- Wind-turbine individual blade-pitch control.
- Control of spatially distributed systems.
- Low-order modelling for control of high/infinite dimensional systems.
- Unmanned surface vehicle autonomy.
- Energy harvesting
- Novel technologies for marine and polar science
- Innovate UK, USV Environment Efficiency (UoS PI), £78,566
- EPSRC, Wind Turbine Gust Prediction (EP/K007386/1) (PI), March 2013 – May 2014, £98,611
- Vestas Wind Systems, Wind Turbine Generator Individual Blade-Pitch Controls (Co-I), £24,000
I am currently supervising the following project:
- Peter Heins, Modelling and Control of Turbulent Flows
- Oliver Dellar, Low order modelling of flows around complex geometries.
- Aldo Villanueva Marcocchio, Smart Wireless Sensing for Aero-engines.
If you are interested in undertaking a PhD with me please visit our PhD Programme website to find information about PhD projects, our research training and how to apply.
Professional Activities and Awards
Chartered Engineer and member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching 2013/14.
Organiser: Wind Energy Research Symposium. University of Sheffield. August 6th-7th, 2012.
Co-chair: Enabling science from emerging technologies and sustained observation. (2010). 14th Biennial Challenger Conference for Marine Science. National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, UK.
Ireland Scholar Award. (2002-2003).
Nortel Networks Scholarship (2000-2003).
- Jones B, Rossiter JA, Lu Q & Lio WH (2017) Fundamental performance similarities between individual pitch control strategies for wind turbines.. International Journal of Control, 90(1), 37-52. View this article in WRRO
- Lio WH, Jones BL & Rossiter JA (2017) Preview predictive control layer design based upon known wind turbine blade-pitch controllers. Wind Energy. View this article in WRRO
- Dellar O & Jones B (2017) Dynamically Correct Formulations of the Linearised Navier-Stokes Equations. International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids. View this article in WRRO
- Heins PH, Jones B & Taunton DJ (2017) Design and validation of an unmanned surface vehicle simulation model. Applied Mathematical Modelling. View this article in WRRO
- Heins PH, Jones BL & Sharma AS (2016) Passivity-based output-feedback control of turbulent channel flow. Automatica, 69, 348-355. View this article in WRRO
- Towers P & Jones B (2016) Real-time wind-field reconstruction from LiDAR measurements using a dynamic wind model and state estimation.. Wind Energy, 19(1), 133-150. View this article in WRRO
- Lu Q, Bowyer R & Jones BL (2015) Analysis and design of Coleman transform-based individual pitch controllers for wind-turbine load reduction. Wind Energy, 18(8), 1451-1468. View this article in WRRO
- Jones B, Heins PH, Kerrigan EC, Morrison JF & Sharma AS (2015) Modelling for Robust Feedback Control of Fluid Flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 769, 687-722. View this article in WRRO
- Taylor BP, Eastwood P & Jones B (2014) Development of a low-cost, portable hardware platform to support hands-on learning in the teaching of control and systems theory.. Engineering Education, 9(1), 62-73.
- Jones B, Kerrigan EC, Morrison JF & Zaki TA (2011) Flow estimation of boundary layers using DNS-based wall shear information. International Journal of Control, 84(8), 1310-1325. View this article in WRRO
- Shahzad A, Jones BL, Kerrigan EC & Constantinides GA (2011) An efficient algorithm for the solution of a coupled Sylvester equation appearing in descriptor systems. Automatica, 47(1), 244-248.
- Jones BL, Jackson K, James A, Meldrum D & Rose MC (2011) Powering sea-ice instrumentation via the Seebeck Effect. COLD REG SCI TECHNOL, 68(1-2), 60-67.
- Jones BL & Kerrigan EC (2010) When is the discretization of a spatially distributed system good enough for control?. Automatica, 46(9), 1462-1468.
Conference proceedings papers
- Dellar OJ & Jones BL (2016) Discretising the linearised navier-stokes equations: A systems theory approach. 2016 UKACC International Conference on Control, UKACC Control 2016
- Jones BL, Heins PH & Esnaola I (2016) Sea-surface reconstruction for surface marine vehicles: A matrix completion approach. 2016 UKACC International Conference on Control, UKACC Control 2016
- Lio WH, Rossiter JA & Jones BL (2016) Predictive control design on an embedded robust output-feedback compensator for wind turbine blade-pitch preview control. European Control Conference 2016, 29 June 2016 - 1 July 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Jones B (2014) Gap Metric Bound Construction From Frequency Response Data. IFAC 2014. Cape Town, 24 August 2014 - 29 August 2014.
- Rossiter JA, Dormido S, Vlacic L, Jones B & Murray RM (2014) Opportunities and good practice in control education: a survey. IFAC 2014. Cape Town, 24 August 2014 - 29 August 2014.
- Heins PH, Jones B & Sharma AS (2014) Passivity-Based Feedback Control of a Channel Flow For Drag Reduction. UK Automatic Control Conference. Loughborough, 8 July 2014 - 11 July 2014.
- Towers PD & Jones B (2014) Wind Turbine Gust Estimation Using Remote Sensing Data. UK Automatic Control Conference. Loughborough, 8 July 2014 - 11 July 2014.
- Lio WH, Rossiter JA & Jones B (2014) A Review on Applications of Model Predictive Control to Wind Turbines. UK Automatic Control Conference. Loughborough, 8 July 2014 - 11 July 2014. View this article in WRRO
- Rodwell S, Jones B & Wilkinson J (2013) Sea-Ice Thickness Monitoring from Sensor Equipped Inuit Sleds. EGU General Assembly 2013. Vienna, 7 April 2013 - 13 June 2014.
- Taylor B, Eastwood P & Jones BL (2013) Development of a low-cost, portable hardware platform for teaching control and systems theory. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), Vol. 10(PART 1) (pp 208-213)
- Jones B, Kerrigan EC, Morrison JF & Zaki TA (2011) Flow Estimation of Boundary Layers Using Wall Shear Information. IFAC World Conference 2011. Milano, Italy, 28 August 2011 - 2 September 2011.
- Jones B, Kerrigan EC & Morrison JF (2009) A Modeling and Filtering Framework for the Semi-discretised Navier-Stokes Equations. Proceedings of the 10th European Control Conference (pp 1215-1220). Budapest, Hungary, 23 August 2009 - 26 August 2009.
- Jones B (2009) When is the discretization of a PDE good enough for control?. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Control & Automation (pp 133-138). Christchurch, New Zealand, 9 December 2009 - 11 December 2009.