Professor D. J. Allerton, BSc, PhD, CEng, FIEE, FRAeS
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5230
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5683
Real-time operating systems; embedded systems; distributed systems; real-time network protocols; real-time computer graphics and visualisation; modelling of dynamic systems, flight simulation methods; flight training analysis; avionics systems design; air-traffic management methods; terrain reference navigation systems; MEMS actuation; real-time feature extraction.
See the Engineering Flight Simulator website for more details:
- ‘Defining the Future of Space-based Communications and Air Travel’, Boeing United Kingdom Technical Forum, 31st January 2001, London.
- ‘Flight Simulation for the Private Pilot’, keynote address, Royal Aeronautical Society Conference, Aircrew Training – Time to Take Stock, May 16th 2001, London.
- ‘Flight Simulation’, Plextek Ltd, Cambridge, September 2005.
Royal Aeronautical Society John Britten Prize for a paper entitled `The Case for Flight Simulation in General Aviation´, March 2002.
- EU, D J Allerton, ‘Smart Hybrid Integrated Navigation Equipment (SHINE)’, EU Framework V, No. GRD1/1999/10370, May 2000 to April 2003, £215K.
- Air Accident and Investigation Branch (AAIB) Simulation Study, February 2001 to May 2001, £8000.
- EPSRC GR/R43020/01, D J Allerton and A F Clarke, ‘Feature Extraction in Enhanced Vision Systems for Civil Aircraft’, October 2001 to September 2004, £330328 (plus £75K support from BAE Systems).
- EPSRC GR/R84047/01, D J Allerton and N Qin, ‘Real-time Simulation of the Effects of Wake Vortices on Civil Transport Aircraft’, June 2003 – May 2006, £290921.
- Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators, D J Allerton, equipment grant for an Airbus side-stick, November 2005, £3500.
- EPSRC, D J Allerton et al (with the universities of Manchester, Cambridge and Southampton), 'Biologically Inspired Massively Parallel Architectures', 2008, £4.5M
- Boeing, D J Allerton, 'To develop software for future air traffic management systems, linking the ACSE flight simulator to Boeing facilities in Seattle, Denver and Brisbane via an Iridium satellite link', 2008, $80K
- Fellow of the Institution of Electrical Engineers since 1992
- Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society since 1993
- Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society Flight Simulation Committee, November 1989 to May 1999 (Chairman 1995-97), re-elected 2004.
- Managing Director of Aerosoft Limited, since August 1988.
- Member of the National Advisory Committee for Avionics and Flight Control Systems, since 1998.
- Member of the Royal Aeronautical Avionics Committee, 1999 to 2004.
- Member of the DERA Software Engineering Centre Advisory Board, 2000-2002.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Aeronautical Journal, 1996-2004.
- External Examiner BEng/MEng Avionics, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Bristol, 1999-2002.
- Visiting Professor Department of Aviation and Technology, Newcastle University, NSW, Australia, 1998-2002.
- External Examiner, MSc Navigation Technology, Institute of Engineering Surveying and Geodesy, University of Nottingham, 2000-2002.
- Schools Ambassador, National Science Week, 2004-2006.
- ‘The Case for Flight Simulation in General Aviation’, D J Allerton, The Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 106, No. 1065, pp 607-618, November 2002.
- ‘An Error Compensation Method for Skewed Redundant Inertial Configurations’, D J Allerton and H Jia, Institute of Navigation, 58th Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, New Mexico, June 2002.
- ‘Real-time modelling of a radar sensor for enhanced vision’, D J Allerton and A J Clare, Proc. SPIE, Volume 5081, Enhanced and Synthetic Vision 2003, pp. 39-51, 2003.
- ‘Modelling of an Imaging Radar’, D J Allerton and A J Clare, RAeS Conf. Simulation of the Environment, London, November 2003.
- ‘Sensor Fusion Methods for Synthetic Vision Systems’, D J Allerton and A J Clare, 23rd Digital Avionics Conference, September 2004.
- ‘Real-Time Model of Wake Vortices Based on Large Eddy Simulation Datasets’, G Spence, D J Allerton, A. Le Moigne and N. Qin, AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conf., San Francisco, California, AIAA Paper No. 2005-6205, August 2005.
- ‘A Review of Multisensor Fusion Methodologies for Aircraft Navigation Systems’, D J Allerton and H Jia, Journal of Navigation, Royal Institute of Navigation, Vol. 58, pp. 405-417, September 2005.
- ‘An Optimized Routing Method for Terrain Referenced Navigation’, I Madani and D J Allerton, AIAA Conf. Guidance, Control and Navigation, September 2006.
- ‘High Integrity Real-time Software’, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, D J Allerton, Proc. IMechE, Part G, Vol. 221, No. 1, pp. 145-161, 2007.
- ‘Application of a Multi-mode Filter to Redundant Inertial/Multifunction GPS Navigation Systems’, D J Allerton and H Jia, IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 371-391, January 2007.
- ‘Wake vortex model for real-time flight simulation based on Large Eddy Simulation’, G T Spence, A Le Moigne, D J Allerton and N Qin, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 467-475, March 2007.