Dr Jun Liu
Dr Jun Liu
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Mappin Street, Sheffield S1 3JD
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 5632
I received my B.Sc. degree from Shanghai Jiao-Tong University, Shanghai, China, in 2002, my M.Sc. degree in Mathematics from Peking University, Beijing, China, in 2005, and my Ph.D. degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, in 2010. Between 2012 and 2015, I was a Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering (ACSE) at the University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK. Prior to joining ACSE, I was a Postdoctoral Scholar in Control and Dynamical Systems (CDS) at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA, from 2011 to 2012. In 2015, I returned to the University of Waterloo as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics.
- Modelling, analysis, design and verification of nonlinear, hybrid and networked control systems.
- Formal methods (formal verification and synthesis) for the analysis and design of control systems.
- Dynamics and control of networked systems.
- Stochastic stability and control.
- Stability and control of time-delay systems.
- Applications in cyber-physical systems, robotics, automation and autonomy, power and energy systems, and biological systems.
- EPSRC: "Verifiable Autonomy" (CI), 2014-2018, £439,585.
- TSB Highly Innovative Technology Enablers in Aerospace II: "Intelligent EHM" (CI), 2014-2017, £214,641.
- EU FP7 Marie Curie Career Integration Grant (CIG): "Reactive Control Protocols for Cyber-Physical Systems", 2013-2017, €100,000.
- Royal Society International Exchanges Scheme, 2014-2015, £12,000.
- Santander Research Mobility Award, 2012-2013, £1,200.
I'm interested in supervising PhD projects broadly related to any of my research interests above. Please see PhD Research Projects here for a sample of currently available PhD projects. If you're interested in applying, please follow the instructions here to apply. There are a range of Scholarships and Studentships available for both UK and international student (see also here).
I currently teach (or coordinate) and recently taught the following modules:
- ACS 428: Hybrid Control Systems (Fall 2013, Spring 2015).
- ACS 6119: Robust and Hybrid Control (Spring 2014)
- ACS 322/420: Individual/Advanced Project (Spring 2012--).
- ACS 6200: Control Systems Project and Dissertation (Spring 2012--).
- ACS 416: Nonlinear Systems (Fall 2012).
In the past, I have taught courses on differential equations and nonlinear dynamics at the University of Waterloo and Caltech.
Selected Recent Journal Publications
- Synthesis of reactive switching protocols from temporal logic specifications. J. Liu, N. Ozay, U. Topcu, and R. M. Murray. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 58 (2013), 1771--1785. (doi) (pdf)
- Distributed stochastic consensus of multi-agent systems with noisy and delayed measurements. J. Liu, H. Zhang, X. Liu & W.-C. Xie. IET Control Theory & Applications, 7 (2013), 1359--1369. (doi)
- On asymptotic convergence and boundedness of stochastic systems with time-delay. J. Liu. Automatica, 48 (2012), 3166--3172. (doi)
- Class-KL estimates and input-to-state stability analysis of impulsive switched systems. J. Liu, X. Liu, and W.-C. Xie. Systems & Control Letters, 61 (2012), 738--746. (doi)
- Global convergence of neural networks with mixed time-varying delays and discontinuous neuron activations. J. Liu, X. Liu, and W.-C. Xie. Information Sciences, 183 (2012), 92--105. (doi)
- Stochastic consensus seeking with communication delays. J. Liu, X. Liu, W.-C. Xie, and H. Zhang. Automatica, 47 (2011), 2689--2696. (doi)
- Input-to-state stability of impulsive and switching hybrid systems with time-delay. J. Liu, X. Liu, and W.-C. Xie. Automatica, 47 (2011), 899--908. (doi)
Selected Recent Conference Publications
- Abstraction, discretization, and robustness in temporal logic control of dynamical systems. J. Liu & N. Ozay. 2014 International Conference on Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control (HSCC). (pdf)
- Hybrid systems with memory: modelling and stability analysis via generalized solutions. J. Liu and A. R. Teel. 2014 IFAC World Congress. (pdf)
- Computing augmented finite transition systems to synthesize switching protocols for polynomial switched systems. N. Ozay, J. Liu, P. Prabhakar & R. M. Murray. 2013 American Control Conference (ACC). (pdf)
- Reactive controllers for differentially flat systems with temporal logic constraints. J. Liu, U. Topcu, N. Ozay, R. M. Murray. 2012 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC). (pdf)
- Generalized solutions to hybrid systems with delays. J. Liu and A. R. Teel. 2012 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC). (pdf)
- On synthesizing robust discrete controllers under modeling uncertainty. U. Topcu, N. Ozay, J. Liu, and R. M. Murray. 2012 International Conference on Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control (HSCC). (pdf)
- Decentralised minimal-time dynamic consensus. Y. Yuan, J. Liu, R. M. Murray, and J. Gonçalves. 2012 American Control Conference (ACC). (pdf)
- Switching protocol synthesis for temporal logic specifications. J. Liu, N. Ozay, U. Topcu, and R. M. Murray. 2012 American Control Conference (ACC). (pdf)