Dr M Osman Tokhi
M. O. Tokhi, BSc, PhD, CEng, FIET, SMIEEE, MIIAV, MCA
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5617
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5683
Current research interests
Active noise and vibration control
- Robust design of active control systems, with due consideration of physical extent of cancellation and geometrical arrangement of system components.
- Modelling, simulation and control of flexible and hybrid flexible/rigid manoeuvring systems.
- Modelling, simulation and control of 1D and 2D flexible structures.
Adaptive/intelligent and soft computing, modelling and control
- Development of new bio-inspired and nature-inspired optimisation algorithms. These include based on evolutionary algorithms, swarm intelligence (particle swarm, ant colony, firefly, bat colony, bacterial foraging and artificial immune system), spiral dynamics.
- Adaptive/intelligent methods based on combined capabilities of neural networks, fuzzy logic and bio-inspired/nature-inspired optimisation approaches.
- Generic approaches for model-based and non-model-based control system design.
- Optimisation techniques for structural design of soft-computing paradigms.
- Assistive techniques for mobility of disabled and the elderly.
- Muscle and joint modelling techniques.
- Intelligent techniques for gait restoration in paraplegia.
- Robotic and functional electrical stimulation-assisted mechanisms for exercise, with benefits of rehabilitation, for paraplegia. These include rowing, cycling, treadmill walking, sit-to-stand manoeuvres, etc.
- Intelligent orthotic systems for mobility, manipulation & grasping for elderly and disabled in support of ambient assisted living
- Mobile service robotic systems for use in industrial and domestic applications.
High-performance architectures for real-time signal processing and control
- Code optimisation for efficient implementation of signal processing and control algorithms.
- Digital signal processing and parallel processing for real-time control applications.
- Heterogeneous architectures for parallel real-time control.
- Intelligent embedded Internet for dynamic monitoring and control.
- Performance evaluation and design tools for heterogeneous parallel architectures
- Best Paper Award, 2013 International Conference of Systems Biology and Bioengineering, World Congress on Engineering, London, UK, 03-05 July 2013.
- Nominated best paper in the category of Walking Robots, 13th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines, Nagoya, Japan, 31 August – 3 September 2010.
- Best Paper Award, 14th International Conference on Methods and Models in Automation and Robotics, Miedzyzdroje (Poland), 19 - 21 August 2009.
- Nominated best paper in the category of Supporting Technologies, Tenth International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines, Singapore, 16–18 July 2007.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE SMC UK-RI Chapter Conference 2004 on Intelligent Cybernetic Systems, Londonderry (UK), 07–08 September 2004.
- The IEE F C Williams Premium Award, 1996.
Recent Research Grants
EPSRC & John Cotton Group (KTP), Tokhi MO with Prof Kirill Horoshenkov (Mechanical Engineering)– “Reduction of snoring sound in the sleep environment”, 02 Dec 2013 – 01 Dec 2015, £120,340
Sultan Qaboos University (Oman), Tokhi MO with Goher K. M., Al-Yahmadi A., and Zaier R. of Sultan Qaboos University – “Development of an Environmentally-Adapted Wheelchair: Toward More Independence for Disabled and Elderly People”, 01 Jan 2012 – 30 Dec 2014, $25,972
INSF (Iranian National Science Foundation), Tokhi MO with Gharooni SC, Iran University of Medical Sciences & Health Services, USWR, CLAWAR Asociation Iran Chapter– “Designing and development of functional electrical stimulation-assisted rowing machine and its efficacy in patients with spinal cord injury”, Oct 2011 – Sept 2013, £12,000
BSI, Safety standard for "Robots in personal care", 2007 – 2013, £10,220
EPSRC (Bridging the Gaps), Tokhi MO with Zinober A (Applied Mathematics) and Triantafyllapoulos K (Probability and Statistics) - Uncertainty analysis for set-point tracking and vibration control of flexible manoeuvring systems, 2009, £21,368
UoSh (Knowledge Transfer Rapid Response Fund), Tokhi MO with Tsuchiya A (ScHARR and Economics), Maheswaran R (ScHARR), Piling R (Sheffield Renewables) –Effect of wind turbines on health & wellbeing, Oct 2009 –Jan 2010, £4,536
The British Council (DelPHE scheme), Tokhi MO with Kabul University (Afghanistan) - Use of ICT for education and training in higher education sector, Sept 2008 – Aug 2011, £60,000
EC GROWTH Thematic Network CLAWAR, Mobile robotic demonstrators and applications (Dissemination), 2002 – 2005, £25,140
EPSRC, Tokhi MO with University of Leeds, University of Southampton, Salisbury District Hospital, The Inspire Foundation, and Spinal Injuries Association – Bio-robotic walking orthoses - phase 1, April 2001–March 2004, £114,933
The British Council (Treaty of Windsor Scheme) – Effective modelling and control of flexible robot manipulators, Tokhi MO with IST - Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal April 2002 –March 2004, £3,000
Association of Commonwealth Universities – High-performance real-time computing, Oct 2000 – Sept 2001, £2,500
EPSRC (Case Award), Tokhi MO with Aculab plc – Echo and noise cancellation in telephone systems, Jan 1998 – Dec 2001, £37,110
EPSRC (Case Award), Tokhi MO with Aculab plc – Intelligent automatic speech recognition, Jan 1997 – Dec 2000, £37,110
Royal Academy of Engineering – International conference grant, 1996-2005, £5,800
The Royal Society – International conference grant, 1993-2001, £4,595
European Commission – ALFA Scheme: Development of real-time signal processing techniques for ultrasonic instrumentation, Tokhi MO with four international institutions (Portugal, Ireland, Cuba, Mexico), 1997-1998, ECU 5000
The British Council (Treaty of Windsor Scheme) – Comparative study of different implementations of a Doppler signal spectral estimator, Tokhi MO with University of Algarve, Portugal April 1996 –March 1998, £3,500
EPSRE – Heterogeneous architectures for parallel real-time control, Tokhi MO with Prof P J Fleming of ACSE, October 1883 – March 1996, £118,030
Recent Keynote Lectures
- 2nd AFSSEE Annual Conference on Science and Engineering, Kabul (Afghanistan), 2012 on “Robotic assistive techniques for mobility of the disabled with wheelchairs”
- CLAWAR2011 Workshop on Medical Robotics, Tehran (Iran), 2011 on “Indoor rowing exercise –Means for paraplegic rehabilitation and function restoration”
- ANCSE2011: Afghan Conference on Science and Engineering, Kabul (Afghanistan), 2011 on “Robotic-assistive mobility and exercise”
- ANCSE2011: Afghan Conference on Science and Engineering, Kabul (Afghanistan), 2011 on “Academic research – Experience UK”
- InECCE2011: International Conference on Electrical, Control and Computer Engineering, Kuantan (Malaysia), 2011 on “Control of noise and vibration”
- Fifth Asian-Pacific International Congress of Anatomists and 8th Iranian Congress of Anatomical Sciences, Tehran (Iran), 2008 on “FES-assisted paraplegic mobility and exercise”
- International Conference on Computer, Control and Communication, Karachi (Pakistan), 2007 on “Particle swarm optimisation algorithms and their application to controller design for flexible structure systems”
- National Conference on Prospected Technology, Bandung (Indonesia), 2007 on “Selection and design of command shaping with multi-objective genetic algorithms for vibration control in flexible manoeuvring systems”
- Second International Conference on Intelligent Knowledge Systems, Istanbul (Turkey), 2005 on “Control system design with genetic optimisation”
- Thirteenth International Conference on Noise Control, Gdynia (Poland), 2004 on “Intelligent methods for active noise and vibration control”
- Sixth Conference on Active Noise and Vibration Control, Cracow (Poland), 2003 on “Input shaping and feedback control of a single-link flexible manipulator”
- Fifth Conference on Active Methods for Reduction of Noise and Vibration, Krynica (Poland), 2001 on “Soft computing control of flexible manipulators"
- International Conference on Computers and Information Technology, Dhaka (Bangladesh), 1999 on “Control of flexible robot manipulators”
- ACS329 – Distributed Real-time Control
- ACS6116 – Advanced Industrial Control
- ACS6121 – Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- MSc Programme Leader.
- Examinations Officer.
- Member, Departmental Learning and Teaching Committee.
- Member, Departmental Student Affairs Committee.
Selected Professional Activities
- Vice-Chairman and Co-Founder, CLAWAR Association (http://www.clawar.org/)
- Member, IFAC Technical Committee TC 3.1 Computers for Control (http://tc.ifac-control.org/3/1)
- Member, IFAC Technical Committee TC 3.2 Computational Intelligence in Control (http://tc.ifac-control.org/3/2)
- Technical Advisor, IET Professional Network on "Concepts for Automation Control"
- Member, BSI AMT/00-/02 – Robots and Robotic Devices – Committee
- Leader, BSI AMT/00-/02 UK Robot Ethics Forum
- Member, ISO/TC184/SC2/WG8 Working Group on Standards for Mobile Service Robots
- Member, ISO/TC184/SC2/WG7 Working Group on Robots in Personal Care
- Member, ISO-IEC Joint working group JWG9 on Medical electrical equipment and systems using robotic technology
- Executive Director, CLAWAR Association (2005 –2010)
- Member, Board of Directors of International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration (July 2004–July 2008)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control
- Associate Editor, Journal of Computational Biomedical Engineering and Telemedicine
- Editor-in-Chief, CLAWAR eJournal
- Co-Editor, Book Series on Mobile Service Robotics, Woodhead Publishing Company, UK
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Industrial Robot Journal
- Editor-in-Chief, Advances in Acoustics and Vibration (2006 –2010)
- Associate Editor, Robotica (May 2008 – March 2011)
- Associate Scientific Editor, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration (1996-2009).
- Editor, CLAWAR Newsletter (2002–2007)
- Program Chair, International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines (CLAWAR) series, 2007 - present
- General Chair, CLAWAR-2005: International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines, London, September 2005
- Co-chair and co-founder, IEE Inter-Active on-line International Conference on Active Control of Noise and Vibration (1999; 2001).
- Member of International Program Committee of several international conferences
- Session chair at several international conferences
External Examiner of research and taught programmes at several national and international institutions.
Reviewer of research proposals for several funding bodies
Referee of several international journals
ABDULLA, S. C., SAYIDMARIE, O. and TOKHI, M. O. (2014). Functional electrical stimulation-based cycling assisted by flywheel and electrical clutch mechanism: A feasibility simulation study. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 62, (2), pp. 188-199.
AHMAD, S., SIDDIQUE, N. H. and TOKHI, M. O. (2011). A modular fuzzy control approach for two-wheeled wheelchair. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems. 64, (3-4), pp. 401 – 426
AHMAD, S., SIDDIQUE, N. H. and TOKHI, M. O. (2012). Evolutionary tuning of modular fuzzy controller for two-wheeled wheelchair. International Journal of Computational Intelligence, 11, (2), 23 pages, DOI: 10.1142/S1469026812500095
AHMAD, S. M., CHIPPERFIELD, A. J. and TOKHI, M. O. (2004). Dynamic modelling and open-loop control of a two degree of freedom twin rotor multi-input multi-output system. Proceedings of IMechE-I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 218, (I6), pp. 451–463.
ALAM, M. S. and TOKHI, M. O. (2009). Selecting and designing command shapers for vibration control of flexible manipulators: A multi-objective optimization approach. International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, 14, (4), pp. 179–187
ALAM, M. S. and TOKHI, M. O. (2008). Designing feedforward command shapers with multi-objective genetic optimisation for vibration control of a single-link flexible manipulator. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 21, (2), pp. 229–246.
ALAM, M. S. and TOKHI, M. O. (2008). Hybrid fuzzy logic control with genetic optimisation of a single-link flexible manipulator. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 21, (6), pp. 858–873.
ALMESHAL, A. M., GOHER, K. M. and TOKHI, M. O. (2013). Dynamic modelling and stabilization of a new configuration of two-wheeled machines. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 61, (5), pp. 443–472. DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2013.01.006
AZAD, A. K. M., TOKHI, M. O. and SHAHEED, M. H. (2007). A software environment for intelligent modelling and simulation of flexible manipulator systems, Computers in Education Journal, XVII, (4), pp. 86–103.
GHAROONI, S., HELLER, B. and TOKHI, M. O. (2001). A new hybrid spring brake orthosis for controlling hip and flexion in the swing phase. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 9, (1), pp. 106 – 107.
HOSSAIN, M. H., KABIR, U. and TOKHI, M. O. (2002). Impact of data dependencies in real-time high performance computing. Microprocessors and Microsystems, 26, (6), pp. 253 – 261.
HOSSAIN, M. A. and TOKHI, M. O. (2006). Real-time design constraints in implementing active vibration control algorithms. International Journal of Automation and Computing, 3, (3), pp. 252–262.
HUQ, M. S. and TOKHI, M. O. (2013). Development of a novel fully passive treadmill training paradigm for lower limb therapeutic intervention. Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, 10, (2-3), pp. 97–111. DOI: 10.3233/ABB-130078
HUQ, M. S. and TOKHI, M. O. (2012). Genetic algorithms based approach for designing spring brake orthosis – Part I: Spring parameters. Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, 9, (3), pp. 303 – 316. DOI 10.3233/ABB-2012-0057
HUQ, M. S. and TOKHI, M. O. (2012). Genetic algorithms based approach for designing spring brake orthosis – Part II: Control of FES induced movement. Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, 9, (3), pp. 317 – 331. DOI 10.3233/ABB-2012-0058
HUSSAIN, Z., TOKHI, M. O., GHAROONI, S., JAILANI, R., IBRAHIM, B. S. K. K. (2009). Inclined ergometer to enhance FES-assisted indoor rowing exercise performance. International Journal of Simulation Systems, Science & Technology, 10, (6), pp. 16 – 25
IBRAHIM, B.S. K. K., HUQ, M. S., TOKHI, M. O., GHAROONI, S. C., JAILANI, R. and HUSSAIN, Z. (2009). Identification of active properties of knee joint using GA optimization. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 31, pp. 437–442
IBRAHIM, B. S. K. K., TOKHI, M. O., HUQ, M. S., JAILANI, R. and GHAROONI, S. C. (2011). Fuzzy modelling of knee joint with genetic optimisation. Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, 8, (1), pp. 85–99
IKUTA. A., TOKHI, O. and OHTA, M. (2001). A cancellation method of background noise for a sound environment system with unknown structure. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Science, E84-A, (2), pp. 457-466.
JAILANI, R., TOKHI, M. O. and GHAROONI, S. (2010). Hybrid orthosis: The technology for spinal cord injury. Journal of Applied Sciences, 10, (22), pp. 2785 – 2792.
JAILANI, R., TOKHI, M. O., GHAROONI, S., HUSSAIN, Z. (2009). A novel approach in development of dynamic muscle model for paraplegic with functional electrical stimulation. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 4, (4), pp. 272-276
KARLIK, B., TOKHI, M. O. and ALCI, M. (2003). A fuzzy clustering neural network architecture for multi-function upper-limb prosthesis. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 50, (11), pp. 1255–1261.
MAT DARUS, I. Z. and TOKHI, M. O. (2005). Soft computing-based active vibration control of a flexible structure. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 18, (1), pp. 93–114.
MD ZAIN, M. Z., TOKHI, M. O. and MOHAMED, Z. (2006). Hybrid learning control schemes with input-shaping of a flexible manipulator system. Mechatronics, 16, pp. 209–219.
MOHAMED, Z., MARTINS, J., TOKHI, M. O., SA DA COSTA, J. and BOTTO, M. A. (2005). Vibration control of a very flexible manipulator system. Control Engineering Practice, 13, (3), pp. 267–277.
MOHAMED, Z. and TOKHI, M. O. (2003). Hybrid control schemes for input tracking and vibration suppression of a flexible manipulator. Proceedings of IMechE-I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 217, (I1), pp. 23–34.
MOHAMED, Z. and TOKHI, M. O. (2002). A symbolic manipulation approach for modelling and performance analysis of flexible manipulator systems. International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, 7, (1), pp. 27–37.
MOHD HASHIM, S. Z. and TOKHI, M. O. (2004). Genetic modelling and simulation of flexible structures. Studies in Informatics and Control, 13, (4), pp. 253–264.
OMAR, M. E., ALDEBREZ, F. M., ZAIDAN, M. A. and TOKHI, M. O. (2013). Hybrid intelligent control for set-point tracking of a flexible manoeuvring system using sigmoid activation function. Proceedings of IMechE Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 227, (6), pp. 944–965. DOI: 10.1177/0954410012445670
OMAR, M., ZAIDAN, M. A. and TOKHI, M. O. (2012). Dynamic modelling and control of a twin-rotor system using adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system techniques. Proceedings of IMechE Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 226, (7), pp. 787– 803
RAJA AHMAD, R. K. and TOKHI, M. O. (2010). Analysis of geometry related constraints of minimum effort active noise control system. Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control, 29, (2), pp. 111–128
RAJA AHMAD, R. K., TOKHI, M. O. (2009). Design of self-tuning minimum effort active noise control with feedback inclusion architecture. Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control, 28, (3), pp. 205-215
RAMOS-HERNANDEZ, D. N. and TOKHI, M. O. (2001). Performance evaluation of heterogeneous systems. Microprocessors and Microsystems, 25, (4), pp. 203–212.
SARKER, M. M. H., TOKHI, M. O. (2009). A multi-agent system model of a diesel engine using rule induction. Expert Systems with Applications, 36, (3), Part 2, pp. 6044–6049
SHAHEED, M. H. and TOKHI, M. O. (2013). Adaptive closed-loop control of a single-link flexible manipulator. Journal of Vibration and Control. 19, (13), pp. 2068–2080
SHARMA, S. K., IRWIN, G. W., TOKHI, M. O. and McLOONE, S. F. (2003). Learning soft computing control strategies in a modular neural network architecture. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 16, (5–6), pp. 395–405.
SIDDIQUE, M. N. H. and TOKHI, M. O. (2006). GA-based neural fuzzy control of flexible-link manipulators. Engineering Letters, 13, (2), pp. 148–157.
SUPRIYONO, H. and TOKHI, M. O. (2012). Parametric modelling approach using bacterial foraging algorithms for modelling of flexible manipulator systems. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 25, (5), pp. 898 – 916
SUPRIYONO, H. and TOKHI, M. O. (2011). Adaptation schemes of chemotactic step size of bacterial foraging algorithm for faster convergence. Journal of Artificial Intelligence, 4, (4), pp. 207-219
TOHA, S. F. and TOKHI, M. O. (2011). PID and inverse-model-based control of a twin rotor system. Robotica, 29, (6), pp. 929 – 938
TOHA, S. F. and TOKHI, M. O. (2010). ANFIS and neural network techniques for non-parametric modelling of a twin rotor system. Systems Science, 36, (4), pp. 13 – 31
TOKHI, M. O. (2004). Intelligent methods for active noise and vibration control. Archives of Acoustics, 29, (2), pp. 259–273.
TOKHI, M. O. (2003). Adaptive active control of noise and vibration. Archives of Control Sciences, 13, (2), pp. 117–139.
TOKHI, M. O., AL-MISKIRY, M. and BRISLAND, M. (2001). Real-time control of air motors using a pneumatic H-bridge. Control Engineering Practice, 9, (4), pp. 449–457.
TOKHI, M. O. and AZAD, A. K. M. (2008). Flexible robot manipulators – Modelling, simulation and control, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, Stevenage, UK.
TOKHI, M. O., HOSSAIN, M. A. and SHAHEED, M. H. (2003). Parallel computing for real-time signal processing and control, Springer-Verlag, London.
TOKHI, M. O., MD ZAIN, M. Z., ALAM, M. S., ALDEBREZ, F. M., MOHD HASHIM, S. Z. and MAT DARUS, I. Z. (2011). Genetic algorithm optimization and control system design of flexible structures. Journal of Intelligent Systems, 17, (Supplement), 133–168. DOI: 10.1515/JISYS.2008.17.S1.133
TOKHI, M. O., MOHAMED, Z. and SHAHEED, M. H. (2001). Dynamic characterisation of a flexible manipulator system. Robotica, 19, pp. 571 – 580.
TOKHI, M. O. and VERES, S. M. (2002). Active sound and vibration control – Theory and applications, Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, 2002.