Dr Payam Soulatiantork
University Teacher in Industrial Automation
Dept of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5654
Dr Soulatiantork is an Academic in the department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering. Payam is an industrial automation and instrumentation expert with more than 6 years of industrial experience from 2007 to 2013. He has successfully developed and completed several industrial automation projects.
He was recently working at Queen’s University Belfast as a Research Fellow and developed a real-time control system and numerical model for the Waste Heat Recovery (WHR) system using Siemens PLC and TIA Portal software in order to monitor the overall performance of the system on PC and HMI via WinCC.
Payam began his Ph.D. at Polytechnic of Milan, Italy, as a fully funded researcher from 2013 to 2016 developing a control hardware system to characterise and evaluate the maximum power point tracking algorithms using advanced data acquisition cards and Simulink/Matlab real-time environment.
Payam obtained an MSc in control and instrumentation at Shiraz University, Iran, which led to develop a new fuzzy control strategy to calculate the advanced PID controller parameters for renewable energy applications.
Payam has been invited by the School of Aerospace, Transport, and Manufactures at Cranfield University as a visiting researcher on 2015 and 2016. He worked closely with the Integrated Vehicle Health Management, Boeing Centre at Cranfield University for developing a real-time conditional base monitoring test rig for power conversion systems.
Payam's research interests include:
• Industrial Automation
• Renewable energy real-time control and monitoring
• Programming and developing PLCs
• Supervisory, control and data acquisition (SCADA)
• Industry 4.0 and Cyber Physical Lab
Payam currently teaches (2018-2019):
• GEE101 Interdisciplinary Design I
• ACS336/6336 Rapid Control Prototyping
• ACS330 Group Project
Payam has previously taught (2017-2018):
• Dynamic and Control systems (Queen’s University Belfast)
- Soulatiantork, P., Cristaldi, L., Faifer, M., Laurano, C., Ottoboni, R., & Toscani, S. (2018). A tool for performance evaluation of MPPT algorithms for photovoltaic systems. Measurement, 128, 537-544. doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2018.07.005
- Soulatiantork, P. (2018). Performance comparison of a two PV module experimental setup using a modified MPPT algorithm under real outdoor conditions. Solar Energy, 169, 401-410. doi:10.1016/j.solener.2018.04.065
- Chowdhury, J., Nguyen, B., Thornhill, D., Hu, Y., Soulatiantork, P., Balta-Ozkan, N., & Varga, L. (2018). Fuzzy Nonlinear Dynamic Evaporator Model in Supercritical Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery Systems. Energies, 11(4), 901. doi:10.3390/en11040901
- Cristaldi, L., Khalil, M., & Soulatiantork, P. (2017). A root cause analysis and a risk evaluation of PV balance of systems failures. Acta IMEKO, 6(4), 113-120.
- Chowdhury, J. I., Soulatiantork, P., & Nguyen, B. K. (2018). Simulation of waste heat recovery system with fuzzy based evaporator model. In 2017 Asian Control Conference, ASCC 2017 Vol. 2018-January (pp. 2143-2147). doi:10.1109/ASCC.2017.8287506
- Soulatiantork, P., Alghassi, A., Faifer, M., & Perinpanayagam, S. (2017). IGBT Thermal Stress Reduction Using Advance Control Strategy. Procedia CIRP, 59, 274-279. doi:10.1016/j.procir.2016.09.040
- Alghassi, A., Soulatiantork, P., Samie, M., Pozo, A. U. D., Perinpanayagam, S., & Faifer, M. (2017). Fault Tolerance Enhance DC-DC Converter Lifetime Extension. Procedia CIRP, 59, 268-273. doi:10.1016/j.procir.2017.02.014
- Soulatiantork, P., B.K., N., Stephen, G., Y, M., & R, D. (2017). Control Of Waste Heat Recovery (WHR) Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) System. 4th Engine Organic Rankine Cycle Consortium Workshop, Detroit, United States.
- Khalil, M., & Soulatiantork, P. (2016). Reliability assessment of PV inverters. In 14th IMEKO TC10 Workshop on Technical Diagnostics 2016: New Perspectives in Measurements, Tools and Techniques for Systems Reliability, Maintainability and Safety (pp. 389-393).
- Cristaldi, L., Khalil, M., & Soulatiantork, P. (2016). Reliability assessment of photovoltaic balance of system. In 14th IMEKO TC10 Workshop on Technical Diagnostics 2016: New Perspectives in Measurements, Tools and Techniques for Systems Reliability, Maintainability and Safety (pp. 242-247).
- Faifer, M., Khalil, M., Piegari, L., Soulatiantork, P., & Toscani, S. (2016). Improvement in the efficiency of DC/DC power converters by controlling the switching frequency. In 14th IMEKO TC10 Workshop on Technical Diagnostics 2016: New Perspectives in Measurements, Tools and Techniques for Systems Reliability, Maintainability and Safety (pp. 394-399).
- Alghassi, A., Soulatiantork, P., Samie, M., Perinpanayagam, S., & Faifer, M. (2015). Relibility enhance powertrain using ANFIS base prognostics model. In 2015 IEEE Conference on Prognostics and Health Management: Enhancing Safety, Efficiency, Availability, and Effectiveness of Systems Through PHAf Technology and Application, PHM 2015. doi:10.1109/ICPHM.2015.7245014
- Alghassi, A., Soulatiantork, P., Samie, M., Perinpanayagam, S., & Faifer, M. (2015). Reliability enhance powertrain using fuzzy knowledge base prognostics model. In 2015 17th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, EPE-ECCE Europe 2015. doi:10.1109/EPE.2015.7311768
- Cristaldi, L., Khalil, M., Faifer, M., & Soulatiantork, P. (2015). Markov process reliability model for photovoltaic module encapsulation failures. In 2015 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, ICRERA 2015 (pp. 203-208). doi:10.1109/ICRERA.2015.7418696
- Faifer, M., Cristaldi, L., Toscani, S., Soulantiantork, P., & Rossi, M. (2015). Iterative model-based Maximum Power Point Tracker for photovoltaic panels. In Conference Record - IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference Vol. 2015-July (pp. 1273-1278). doi:10.1109/I2MTC.2015.7151456
- Faifer, M., Cristaldi, L., Piegari, L., & Soulatiantork, P. (2015). Design of a converter for photovoltaic panels testing. In 5th International Conference on Clean Electrical Power: Renewable Energy Resources Impact, ICCEP 2015 (pp. 674-681). doi:10.1109/ICCEP.2015.7177564
- Soulatiantork, P., Seyed Hamidreza, A., & Fereidoon, S. (2012). Simulation Study of Flow Control Based On PID ANFIS Controller for Non-Linear Process Plants. American Journal of Intelligent Systems, 2(5), 104-110. doi:10.5923/j.ajis.20120205.04
• Payam Soulatiantork. Experimental performance evaluation of MPPT algorithms for photovoltaic systems. PhD Thesis, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 2016.
• IEEE member since 2013
• Recognized reviewer of Solar Energy Elsevier Journal
• Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Reliability Journal