UK government Secure English Language Tests

From 6 April 2015, the UK government made changes to the list of qualifications it considers Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) for visa purposes. For qualifications completed on or after this date, only Trinity ISE taken inside the UK and IELTS taken at UK government-approved test centres are considered SELTs. You can find more information about the policy on the UK Visas and Immigration webpages:

Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests

The government allows universities to accept achievement in non-SELT qualifications as evidence of English language proficiency, and the University of Sheffield accepts all the qualifications listed on our English language requirements webpages, including all IELTS qualifications, for direct entry to its undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses.

Students applying for courses offered by the University's English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC) or the University of Sheffield International College (USIC) are advised to contact the ELTC and USIC for information about English language requirements.

Information for ELTC applicants is also available on the following webpage:

Entry levels for Summer School