11 January 2011
Alumni and Staff Honoured in 2011 Queen's New Year's Honours List
We’d like to congratulate the following alumni and staff who were honoured in the 2011 Queen’s New Year's Honours List:
CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire)
- Professor Michael Cooke, CBE (MB ChB in Medicine, 1980). Chief Executive, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust. For services to mental healthcare.
OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire)
- Mr Adrian Allen, OBE, Commercial Director at the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC). For services to industry in the Yorkshire and Humber region.
- Mr Adrian Coles, OBE (MA in Economics of Finance, 1977). Director General, Building Societies Association. For services to the financial services industry.
- Professor Christopher Franklin, OBE (PhD in Oral Pathology, 1977). Chairman, Committee of Postgraduate Dental Deans and Directors, and Professor and Honorary Consultant Oral Pathologist. For services to healthcare.
- Commander Stuart Furness, OBE (BSc in Mathematics, 1980). Military Division of the New Year’s Honours List.
- Mr James Gale, OBE (BA in Town & Regional Planning, 1968 and Diploma in Town & Regional Planning, 1970). For services to the horseracing industry.
- Emeritus Professor Geoff Tomlinson, OBE from the Department of Mechanical Engineering. For services to technology.
MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire)
- Dr Anthony Bethell, MBE (PhD in Medical Physics, 1970 and MB ChB in Medicine, 1975). For services to the community in Dronfield, Derbyshire.
- Dr Jill Bethell, MBE (MB ChB in Medicine, 1967). For services to the community in Dronfield, Derbyshire.
- Dr David Long, MBE (BSc in Botany, 1970 and PhD in Botany, 1974). Lately Director of Brewing, British Beer and Pub Association. For services to the hospitality industry.
- Mr Stephen Markey, MBE (BSc in Biochemistry & Microbiology, 2000). Third Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Diplomatic and Overseas List.