1951 and 1961 Reunion Luncheon
The annual event for alumni celebrating 50 and 60 years since graduating took place on Saturday 25 June. The event was hosted by Vice-Chancellor, Professor Keith Burnett and welcomed back to campus 180 alumni and their guests.
The graduating classes of 1951 and 1961 enjoyed welcome drinks in the Quad at Firth Court followed by luncheon which was served in Firth Hall. The Vice-Chancellor welcomed alumni back and highlighted the changes that had taken place at the University since they had graduated. He was followed by Professor Sir Harry Kroto (BSc Chemistry, 1961) who spoke about his time at University and Miles Stevenson, Director of Development, who narrated video footage of the University from the archives.
Tours of the campus and Information Commons followed lunch. Many graduates had not been back to the University campus for over 40 years so the expansion and transformation they saw proved a huge talking point. It also provided a wonderful opportunity to meet old classmates and reminisce about their time at University.
The afternoon concluded with drinks in the Interval Cafe within the Graves building, the original Students’ Union building and a final farewell from Miles Stevenson, Director of Development and Alumni Relations.
Photographs from the day taken by the official photographer can be found at http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/816306519
Next year the University will be hosting a reunion lunch for the Classes of 1952 and 1962 on Saturday 23 June 2012, to celebrate their 50 and 60 years since graduating. Please see the reunion webapge here for more information.