Professor Frank Benson - 21/11/1921 - 23/11/2014

PhD Electrical Engineering 1952, DEng Electrical Engineering, 1957Professor Frank Benson

The University is grateful to the family and friends of Professor Benson for their donations towards the setting up an endowed prize in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. If you would like to make a donation in Professor Benson’s memory, please send a cheque made payable to the University of Sheffield to the address below;

c/o Steve Clark
Development, Alumni Relations and Events
40 Victoria Street
Sheffield
S10 2TN

Professor Frank Benson moved to The University of Sheffield as a lecturer in 1949, obtaining PhD and DEng qualifications in 1952 and 1957 respectively.

Following several promotions he became Professor and Head of Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering in Sheffield in 1967, a post he retained until his retirement in 1987 when he became Emeritus Professor. Frank also held the posts of Pro-Vice Chancellor (1972-76) and Dean of Engineering (1978-81) at Sheffield.

Frank was an active supporter of his professional institutions at local, national and international levels. He also served the wider local community, for example as Church Warden at Sheffield Cathedral, as a Governor at a local school, on the programme committee for Radio Hallam, and as Deputy Lieutenant of South Yorkshire. He received an OBE in 1998.

Frank was a great inspiration who treated colleagues and students with tremendous respect and courtesy. He always had a happy demeanour and strong work ethic, and would always find the time to help people.

Following his death in 2014, his sons, Trevor and Peter, helped to set up a fund in his memory, to be awarded to a deserving student who has made an outstanding contribution to the wellbeing of the Electronic and Electrical Engineering community at the University.

The University is very grateful for the donations made in Frank’s memory.