Library Services for Alumni Members
We welcome alumni to the University Library. The Library card allows alumni to access all library sites, including Western Bank, the Information Commons and the Health Sciences Libraries. Hours when alumni can use the libraries varies between locations, please see below to check hours when alumni can access each library.
Note: You will not be granted access without a Library card - please see below for how to apply.
All our Alumni can apply for free alumni membership of the University Library: you receive a Library card which enables you to borrow books from all library sites. All you need to do is provide proof of study or graduation. Your Library account will entitle you to borrow up to five items and allow you to request books for loan.
You are welcome to use all the Library print collections and a limited number of licensed electronic journals via our Walk-in Access service. Please ask Library staff for details.
The Library web pages provide comprehensive information about Library resources and services including the Library catalogue, StarPlus, as well as many other links to freely available Internet resources that we think will be useful to Library users.
Our Virtual Enquiry service is available to answer your enquiries, or you can ask staff at any of the Library sites listed above. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0114 222 7200.
Applying for a Library card
Applications for library membership are done online and you will be required to upload a recent passport style photograph.
Applications may take up to three weeks to process and you will be notified when your card is ready for collection.
You can select the Library site from which to collect your card; please bring proof of identification and proof of your current address. You will also need to bring proof of study or the Alumni card issued by the Alumni Office unless this has already been verified.
If you wish to renew your card or you require a replacement because your card has been lost or damaged, please Apply Online
If you have any enquiries, please contact the Library HelpDesk (0114) 222 7200, or visit Western Bank Library or the Health Sciences Library, Royal Hallamshire Hospital during staffed service hours.
Library access times
Hours when alumni can access the libraries varies between locations.
- Western Bank Library - During opening hours
- Information Commons - Weekdays 9am - 7pm, Weekends 12pm - 6pm
- Health Sciences Library, Royal Hallamshire Hospital - During opening hours
- Health Sciences Library, Northern General Hospital - During opening hours
Borrowing from the library
- As an alumni, you can borrow up to five books, for a period of one week
- You can check your account on StarPlus, and place requests on items
- As long as no-one has requested your items we will keep renewing them automatically until the expiry date of your account
- The Library will send you a weekly borrowing statement email to remind you which books you have out on loan and highlight any that have been requested and cannot be renewed
- The Library no longer fine on overdue items but, if a requested item is not brought back on time then your borrower account will be blocked until the item is returned
ScHARR Library Access
All graduates of ScHARR are welcome to access ScHARR Library as University Alumni.
No card is required but to join, you will need to contact ScHARR in advance of your visit and provide your name, title of course and year of graduation. We can then verify your details and create an account for you. Either call us on 0114 2225420 or email via email@example.com
The ScHARR Library is open Monday to Friday, 10-3pm.
We have experienced library staff available between 10am and 3pm every day to answer your queries. You are also welcome to use all library print material (books and journals) and any freely available internet resources. You will also be able to connect to the University Guest Wireless Service.
You will be able to borrow up to 5 books for one month and these are renewable as long as nobody has reserved them.
Where can you find us?
1st Floor, Regent Court
30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Phone: 0114 2225420
Our website has all the information you need but if you do have any questions please do not hesitate to call or email us. We look forward to seeing you (again)!
Other Library benefits for Alumni
- Use of StarPlus (the Library catalogue) to place request and check your account
- Use of microform reader/printers, DVD and videos players (where available)
- Use of self-service photocopiers and scanning facility
- Use of the InterLibrary Request Service to place an inter-library loan request or to obtain a photocopy of a document; payment by credit or debit card
Special Collections and Archives
- Items from the Special Collections (reference use only) may be made available to registered external borrowers, subject to the approval of the Head of Special Collections, Jacky Hodgson (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Anyone wishing to consult any of the Library Archives must always approach the Head of Special Collections, Jacky Hodgson (email email@example.com) in the first instance
- Enquiries relating to the National Fairground and Circus Archive should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0114 222 7231
Access to Wi-Fi
Alumni members are welcome to log into the University's Guest Wi-Fi network.
Access to e-journals
Alumni members can access a large number of electronic journals from the University's portfolio using the University Library's 'Walk in Access' scheme. Access is provided via dedicated computers based in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the Northern General Hospital.
To register as an authorised walk-in user you must sign and agree to the code of practice, forms are available at all three sites. You are also required to provide proof of name and address and membership of the University of Sheffield Library. Please note access is limited to one hour per user during busy periods
If you need help using any part of the Library service please email email@example.com or telephone 0114 222 7200.