We are looking for alumni working in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths to help us inspire young people from local schools and colleges.
Date: July 2018 (all details TBC)
Location: The Ridge, University of Sheffield
Volunteers required: Engineering, Science and Mathematics alumni from any year now working in a role relevant to their degree. Graduated in the last 10 years.
Alumni have been very useful and I now understand more about course and career paths available to me, thank you!”
Discover Stem participant
We're running a Summer School to raise the aspirations of young people from local schools and colleges whose family or personal circumstances mean they may not have considered studying at university, or a career in Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths (STEM), as a possibility for them. We are anticipating around 60 Y12 students to attend the Summer School.
We believe alumni can offer the advice and support some students may not have access to, and are looking for STEM alumni to speak to these students about their university experience.
You can read more about our Discover STEM programme here.
- Deliver a short introduction (2 minutes) to the group about your degree and current role
- Join tables of students to informally answer questions about your experience or career in a "speed networking" format
- Judge student poster presentations
- Chat to students informally over lunch (optional)
Throughout the event you may like to discuss with the students:
- Why you decided to attend Sheffield and study STEM
- Your decision-making process at school and throughout University, especially any changes to your plans
- Your University experience (the course, societies, part-time work, internships, social life etc)
- How your degree has helped you in your career
- Your advice for prospective STEM students
Refreshments will be provided and a full briefing will be sent in advance of the event.
Registration for July 2018 will open in May 2018. Please check back then.
We would be happy to cover travel expenses and arrange parking at the University.
If you have any questions about this activity please email firstname.lastname@example.org.