Degrees with employment experience banner

Degrees with employment experience

Undergraduate degrees in Animal and Plant Sciences offer you the chance to spend a year gaining valuable work experience at places ranging from zoos and public gardens to government agencies and food manufacturers. If you go down this route you will graduate with, for example, a BSc Zoology with Employment Experience degree, rather than BSc Zoology. This means prospective employers can see, at a glance, that you spent time putting your scientific skills into practice before you even graduated. You will also pay reduced fees for the year you spend away from the university.

Unlike other universities, there are no separate UCAS codes for our degrees with employment experience. You simply apply for one of the courses listed on the Courses page, then sign up for a year of employment experience once you've started your studies in Sheffield. This gives you the flexibility to decide whether you would like to do a degree with employment experience long after you have filled in your UCAS form.

How does it work?

You'll normally spend a year working for one organisation relevant to your degree, though in some cases you can work at two different places for six months each. You will be employed by them, but you will remain registered at the University of Sheffield with access to university services and regular contact with tutors.

You may be paid by your employer, and you will pay reduced fees for the year you spend away from the university – UK students pay £1,125 for the year, and international students pay 21 per cent of their normal annual fee.

The assessment for the year is based on a journal you keep during year and a short critical piece of writing about one aspect of your work. This assessment doesn't affect your final degree mark, but you must pass it to graduate with a degree '...with Employment Experience')

Normally, the year of employment experience takes place after the second year of your course, so you will return to Sheffield to take the third year of your course with the year group below the one you started with.

Other work experience opportunities

Doing a degree with employment experience is not the only way of getting an insight into the world of work when you study with APS. The University of Sheffield has a dedicated Careers Service, with specialist staff who can help find voluntary and paid work while you study.

There are also holiday internship schemes, job shadowing opportunities and courses to help you develop careers skills. On top of that, you can get advice on CV writing and interviews, take part in programmes like the Skills For Work Certificate, the Sheffield Graduate Award, and the e-Mentoring Scheme.

The On CampUS Placements scheme is a chance for you to earn money as you work on a 100-hour project in a specific University department, and you have other opportunities to get involved in the University's research through SURE: Sheffield Undergraduate Research Experience.

More about developing careers skills while you study