Professor Michael Brockhurst
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 0124
Room B89 Alfred Denny Building
Professor of Microbial Evolution, Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield (2017–present)
Professor of Evolutionary Biology, 50th Anniversary Chair, Department of Biology, University of York, UK (2012–2016)
Senior Lecturer/Reader, Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Liverpool, UK (2009–2012)
Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool (2006–2008)
PDRA, Institute for Evolutionary Sciences (ISEM), University of Montpellier II, France (2005–2006)
• NERC peer-review college
• Section Editor for experimental evolution - BMC Evolutionary Biology
• Associate Editor – Proceedings of the Royal Society B
Key Research Interests
My lab uses experimental evolution to study the real-time evolutionary dynamics of microbial populations. We have three main research questions:
- What are the causes and consequences of horizontal gene transfer in microbial communities?
- How and why do new symbioses evolve to become stable and obligate?
- What are the evolutionary drivers and clinical effects of pathogen adaptation and diversification in chronic infections of humans?
Dr Jamie Hall (European Research Council)
Dr Laura Carillero (European Research Council)
Mike Bottery (Wellcome Trust)
Anastasia Kottara (European Research Council)
Rosanna Wright (NERC ACCE DTP)
Rachael Evans (BBSRC White Rose DTP)
Cagla Stevenson (NERC ACCE DTP)
Megan Sørensen (BBSRC White Rose DTP)