Submitting an assignment in Blackboard
Watch the video below for guidance on how to submit an assignment to Blackboard, or follow the written steps below.
Please note: For assignments submitted to Turnitin, please visit:
- Complete your assignment and save it with any cover sheets required by your department, giving it a name that is easy for you to identify when you come to upload it, and following any naming conventions required by your department.
- Login to Blackboard through MUSE or by going to https://vle.shef.ac.uk
- Click Courses in the left menu, and enter the Blackboard course to which you want to submit your work.
- Locate the assignment within the relevant Blackboard course. You should talk with your department first if you are unsure which assessment you are supposed to be submitting.
- Click on the assignment title and you should see the following screen:
- Choose between:
a. Create Submission. Writing your submission in the content editor.
b. Attach Files (most common). You can upload from either:
i. Your computer. Browse for a file saved locally.
ii. The Content Collection. This is your own personal area within Blackboard that allows you to upload files to it.
iii. Cloud Storage. For example Google Drive or Dropbox.
Please note: media assignments submitted via Kaltura must be submitted via the Create Submission button. Please visit: Submitting a media assignment
- You may wish to add some comments in the text box at the bottom of the screen. If you know that your submissions are being marked anonymously then remember to not put your name in here (or on the submission itself).
- If you wish you can save a draft of the assignment by clicking Save Draft. You can then remove this draft at a later date and attach your final submission.
- Once you are ready to submit, click Submit.
- Review your submission. This allows you to check that this is the correct one. Your department may have allowed you multiple attempts. If this is the case and you have uploaded the wrong assignment, go back and follow the steps above to resubmit. However, If you have uploaded the wrong assignment and you cannot submit again, then please talk to your department first as they will be able to delete the submission and allow you to resubmit.
If you have a group submission and your tutor has set up a group assignment submission point, the process of submitting will be be pretty much the same, but only has to be completed by one member of your group.
Once this has been done, the assignment will be marked as submitted for all members of the group. Ensure in advance you know which team member will be submitting the work.
You will know if a group assignment has been set up, as under assignment submission when you click into the assignment link you will see a Group Name. You will also be prompted on submission that you are submitting for your entire group when you submit. If you are unsure of the assignment type, please contact your tutor.
When you submit your assignment you will receive an email to confirm that your submission has been received.
This will contain:
- A unique submission ID
- Title of course and course ID
- Title of your coursework and date of submission
If there has been an issue with submission. Your tutor or an administrator may ask you to provide this to cross reference the submission. Please keep this email safe.
You can also find this receipt from within the Blackboard course.
- In the Blackboard course, go to My Marks.
- On the grey header above your grades click Submitted.
- At the bottom of this page you will see Submission receipts, with a number value next to it.
- Click the number value and this will display all the submission receipts for assignments submitted on that course.