A Journal is a self-reflective tool for Students. Instructors can assign a Journal to each student in a group. An Individual journal type is one in which only the Student and the Instructor are able to view and add Comments to Journal Entries.
Journals can be made public by the Instructor, so that all enrolled student users can read all Entries made to the Journal topic. Group Journal Entries can be read by all Group members and the Instructor.
Creating a Journal
- On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click Journals
- On the Journals listing page, click Create Journal on the action bar
- On the Create Journal page, type a name and optional instructions. Make the journal available
- Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions do not affect the journal availability, only when it appears
- In the Journal Settings section, select Monthly or Weekly Index Entries.
- Optionally, select check boxes to allow users to edit and delete entries, or delete comments.
- In the Grade Settings section, select No grading or the Grade option and type the number of Points possible. Points possible will apply to one or more entries made by a user to the journal topic. After you enable grading, a column is created automatically in the Grade Center. It is permanently gradable, and you cannot change the setting to No grading
- Optionally, select the check box for Show participants in needs grading status and select the number of entries required. Applying this setting will show the needs grading icon in the Grade Center and place the entries in the queue on the Needs Grading page after the specified number of entries are made
- Optionally, add a rubric
- Click Submit.
Creating a Journal Entry
On the Journals listing page, click a Journal title
On the journal's topic page, click Create Journal Entry on the action bar
On the Create Journal Entry page, type a title and entry
Optionally, browse for a file to attach
Click Post Entry to submit the journal entry or click Save Entry as Draft to add the entry later.
To view or add to saved drafts, click View Drafts on the action bar on the Journals listing page.
How to Comment on a Journal Entry
- On the Journals listing page, click a journal title
- On the Journal's topic page, select the journal entry to view by clicking the user’s name in the sidebar in the name drop-down list. The user's Journal entry opens in the content frame
- Click Comment following the user’s entry and type a comment
- Click Add. Click the numbered Comments link to view all comments.
Making the Journal visible to students
Once a Journal has been created you need to create a link to it to make it visible to students.
The link can either open the generic storage area which then lists all the available Journals or directly open an individual Journal.The link can be created from any existing content page, or you can create a new one specifically, or the link can be created in the left side course menu panel (to generic storage area only)
Making the Journal visible - Link from a specific content page
Open the content page you want the Journal to be linked from (or create a new one for this purpose)
Move the cursor over the 'Tool' button and select 'Journals' from the list provided
Choose to link between the generic Journals summary page or this one specific Journal
Click on 'Next'
Enter any date/time restrictions you wish to apply or leave blank
Click on 'Submit'
Making the Journal visible - Link from left side course menu
- Click on the 'Add Menu item' icon (blue square with white cross)
- Click on 'Create Tool Link' from list provided
- In the 'Name' field create a name for the Journal eg. "Course Journal" or whatever you wish
- In the 'Type' field select 'Journals' from list provided
- Click in the blank box at side of 'Make Available to users' if you want students to see the Journal straight away or leave blank if you wish to do this later
- Click on 'Submit'
A link to the Journal has now been created in the left hand course menu.
If you elected not to make the Journal available to students at stage 5 above it will not be visible to them now, but will appear on your course menu with a symbol of a box with a line through it to remind you it is not yet visible to students.
When you are ready to let students see the Journal simply click on the action links (chevrons) at the side of the link and click on 'Show link'