Attaching the Rubric to an assessment
Now that you have created your rubric, the next step is to attach it to a particular assessment. You can attach this Rubric to Blackboard assignments, and you can also attach it to:
- Essay, Short Answer, and File Response test questions
- Blogs and journals
- Discussion board forums and threads
- You can also associate a rubric in the Grade Center by selecting Edit Column Information from the column's contextual menu.
You can attach your Rubric to an assignment at either the point of assignment creation, or by editing an existing assignment. Furthermore you can attach a rubric after students have submitted. It is good practice to attach the rubric before student submissions have come in.
The process for attaching a Rubric is virtually the same for both scenarios, however there are a couple of differences detailed below:
- If you have an existing assignment on a content page in Blackboard, click on the downward chevron to the right of the assignment and click “edit”.
- If you are attaching the rubric at the point of assignment creation, on a content page in your Blackboard course click on “Assessments”, then click “Assignment”
- Both steps 1 and 2 will take you to the Create assignment page. If you have an existing assignment, most of the information should be filled in. If it is a new assignment you are creating then you will need to follow the steps to creating a new assignment.
- Scroll down until you see the “Grading” section and “Associated Rubrics”. Click “Add Rubric”
- You can choose to create a new Rubric, customise an existing Rubric or select an existing Rubric. Click “Select Rubric”
- Select your newly created Rubric from the list that appears and click submit.
- You will be asked to assign the maximum points possible to the Rubric. Clicking OK will enter the values into the Points possible box. In normal circumstances you would ensure that the values in the Rubric add up to 100.
- Setup your rubric according to the options below
- Your Rubric should now be attached.