Widening Particpation and Fair Access
The University has a long-standing commitment to widening participation (WP) and fair access, not only to its own programmes of study, but also to the HE experience in general.
The University's Access Agreement details our current priorities with respect to:
- increasing the opportunities for students from under represented groups to benefit from study at Sheffield or at other HE institutions;
- ensuring that students have access to resources and support that reflect their diversity of backgrounds and prior experience in order to enable them to fulfil their potential;
- providing our students with opportunities to enhance their preparedness for graduate employment and develop their capacity for further professional and academic study.
To view the current Access Agreement please visit the Access Agreement pages.
The Widening Participation Research and Evaluation Unit (WPREU)
Established in May 2012, WPREU is responsible for:
- delivering institution-specific research projects about the impact of the University's WP activities across the student journey, including those activities focused on supporting students 'getting into' HE and those concerning student experiences and 'getting through' HE;
- monitoring and evaluating the University's WP activities and developing and maintaining an evaluation strategy;
- coordinating the submission of external WP reporting requirements (e.g. HEFCE, OFFA) and liaising with relevant external agencies;
- fostering links between researchers and practitioners with an interest in Widening Participation and Fair Access.
The WPREU website provides resources and information covering the range of our research and evaluation projects.