The Fillingham Project overview - Geophysical Survey - the Orchard
A geophysical survey was carried out on 5th July 2000 in the orchard to the west of Lakeside Cottage, to determine whether a church building or burials were present in this area. Previous research had revealed that stone foundations had been found in the orchard prior to 1953. Two 20m squares were set up in the orchard. Measurements were taken using a RM15 machine, with the mobile probes set at 25 cm apart. This will give a representation of features between 0.4 and 0.6m deep (David, 1995; Merrony, pers. comm., 2000). The weather was fair, and the ground fairly dry, with damper areas under the trees. The results of the survey are as two 20m squares (Fillingham 2 and 3), below.
Both of the areas surveyed show uneven levels of resistivity with no clear features or anomalies. This indicates either that the orchard does not contain any features of archaeological interest at the depth surveyed, or that the ground in the orchard has been greatly disturbed, presumably by root action. The blank areas in the surveys indicate the locations of chicken houses.