Prospective International and European Union Undergraduate Students

Inter Students Image

Why Sheffield?

If you choose to join us as an international student at the University of Sheffield you will be joining a thriving community of over 5000 international students, in the heart of a vibrant and welcoming city. In 2017, the University of Sheffield was voted Number One Russell Group university for Student Experience (Times Higher Education Survey). You'll be living and studying in Sheffield, cradle of the industrial revolution set in the foothills of The Peak District -England's oldest national park - providing you with all the benefits of a major city with beautiful countryside in easy reach.

The Department of Archaeology contributes significantly to the diversity that makes Sheffield such a wonderful place to study. Many of the people that will be teaching you, our staff and researchers, are from the EU and further afield. This is reflected the global reach of our research - as well as a strong presence in European, especially Mediterranean, archaeological research, we also have forged strong links with institutions in the Americas, Africa and China.

Study Abroad in Sheffield

You can also study with us as a Study Abroad student for a semester or a whole year. You can combine modules in Archaeology with those from other departments in the University to create a suite of classes that match your interests.

For up to the minute information on the city of Sheffield, including all the latest activities and events, visit Welcome to Sheffield , Sheffield City Council's visitor website.

"The Archaeology Department at the University of Sheffield has given me an opportunity to grow; it has given me the ability to look at the different, unique nuances of the field of archaeology in another country; it has provided a challenging, yet easy to engage in, environment that not only nurtured what I learned in the U.S., but has prepared me for a future outside of that specific professional sphere."

Ashley Stuecklen Unger. Anthropology major, De Paul University, USA


The university is delighted to be able to offer a guaranteed place in University accommodation to all students in the first year of any degree. We understand that having access to good accommodation is important to all of our students, and especially to those of you coming from another country.

Our offer of guaranteed accommodation means that you can apply to Sheffield and know that you will have somewhere clean, safe and affordable to live when you arrive.

Find out more about our fantastic range of undergraduate accommodation.


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have the necessary qualifications?

Find out with our guide to international entry requirements for undergraduate study. If you do not meet the requirements for direct entry to our undergaraduate programmes, you can be considered for our Foundation Programme.

What fees will I pay?

Your fees will depend on whether you are an EU citizen or are from outside the EU - for full details, see the fees and funding information and use the Undergraduate Fees Look Up tool. Self-funded international students who are nationals of or permanently domiciled in certain countries are eligible for fee discounts and scholarship schemes. You are strongly recommended to consult the scholarships information on your country's page for full details.

Are there any scholarships or awards available?

See what scholarships you might be eligible to apply for on our international fees and scholarships page and consult your country's page for country-specific scholarships.

What level of English language will I need?

To study at Sheffield you must be able to show you meet the necessary English language requirements - find out about these here. If you don't yet hold an appropriate English language qualification, find out about our English Language Preparation Programmes here.

What visa will I need and what support can the University offer in obtaining it?

You must have the appropriate visa to study in the United Kingdom. Visit the University's pages for your country for help and guidance on visa requirements.

How do I apply for an undergraduate course as an international student?

The University provides detailed information about how to apply for a place on one of our Undergraduate courses as an international student.

Students from The USA or Canada

If you are currently studying in the USA or Canada we can accept an application from you through the Common Application. However, if you are able to apply through UCAS we would encourage you to choose this route. You can only apply through either Common Application or UCAS, not both.

Please note that we are not able to consider Common Applications from students studying outside the USA or Canada.

The Common Application

Further information...

Prospective EU students

As a European Top 50 University, the University of Sheffield welcomes hundreds of EU students to our fantastic city. Find out why they love Sheffield, and how to join our vibrant community at the prospective EU students website.

Prospective students from outside the EU

For a wealth of essential information about being an international undergraduate at Sheffield, visit the University’s prospective international students webpages and your country's pages.