Dr Claudia Lucia Rojas Bernal
PhD, MSc, BA
School of Architecture
Lecturer in Urban Design
I am an architect and a researcher in the field or Urbanism. I hold a master’s degree in Human Settlements and a PhD degree in Architecture from the University of Leuven.
I have experience working in urban design projects in different contexts, such as Vietnam and Colombia. I worked in the Revision of the Mekong Delta Region Plan 2030-2050 (Vietnam), with RUA.
In Colombia I worked on projects for the execution of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia Master Plan, the Bogota Sports and recreation equipment Master Plan (2015-2019) and the Master Plan for the Universidad El Rosario, among others.
- Research interests
My PhD dissertation is titled “Settling with Waters. A Landscape Urbanism Investigation in the Sabana de Bogotá”.
I have a strong interest in continuing my research in topics that address the intersection between water management and settlements from different perspectives such as climate change adaptation, urban upgrading and water sensitive urban design.
I am also interested in deepening the use of cartography as design methodology.
- Settling with waters. Design investigations for flood adaptation in the Sabana de Bogotá. Labor e Engenho, Campinas, 12(1), 71-89.
- Water urbanism in Bogotá. Exploring the potentials of an interplay between settlement patterns and water management. Habitat International, 48, 177-187. View this article in WRRO
- A Vietnamese Mekong Delta Regional Plan 2030 Vision to 2050: Accentuating Six Agro-Ecological Regions. Nanfang Jianzhu / South Architecture, 41-47.
- View this article in WRRO Designing water infrastructure and context-responsive housing: A case study in the Sabana de Bogotá.. Landscape Research.
- Section Across the Horizontal Field: A Case Study of the Asymmetrical Condition of Bogotá’s Periphery, The Horizontal Metropolis Between Urbanism and Urbanization (pp. 215-222). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Rojas Bernal, C. (2017). DWELLING IN AN ECOLOGICAL SUBSTRATE. Landscape based strategies for flood adaptation in the Sabana de Bogotá (pp 1-19)
- Dwelling in an ecological substrate. Landscape based strategies for flood adaptation in the Sabana de Bogotá (pp 17-27)
- Water infrastructure and social housing in Bogotá. An intersection between modern water management and social housing production (pp 1-20)
- Section across the horizontal field: a case study of the asymmetrical condition of Bogotás periphery (pp 73-85)
- The backside of the city. Marginality and waste landscapes in the Tunjuelo watershed.. Proceedings of IFoU 2018: Reframing Urban Resilience Implementation: Aligning Sustainability and Resilience
Theses / Dissertations
- 2013 - IRO– KU Leuven Doctoral Scholarship (IRO Interfaculty Council for Development Co-operation).
- 2011 - VLIR-UOS-ICP Scholarship (VLIR Flemish Interuniversity Council UOS – University Cooperation for Development - ICP International Master Program) to attend the Master of Science in Human Settlements in Belgium.
- Teaching activities
MA in Urban Design Thesis Supervision