Dr Junjie Huang
BArch, MArch, PhD
School of Architecture
China Cooperation Project Manager
I am an architect and a researcher in human-environment relations. I joined the Sheffield School of Architecture as Research Associate for the ODESSA (Optimising Care Delivery Models to Support Ageing-in-place) project in 2017.
I hold a PhD in architecture (spatial affordances) from The University of Sheffield, as well as BArch and MArch in architecture archetypology study from Tsinghua University.
Prior to coming to the UK, I worked in practice in China for several years on a number of award-winning built environment design projects.
My practice, research and teaching combine interests in inclusive design, environmental impact on behaviour and emotion, architectural psychology, social and place network analysis, AI-assisted design, sustainable building and smart home technology.
- Research interests
- Inclusive design (age-friendly, child-friendly environment)
- Social and place network analysis
- Social interaction analysis
- Behavioural environmental ethnography
- Behavioural mapping
- Environmental impact on people’s behaviour and emotion
- Architectural psychology
- AI-assisted design
- Smart building technique
- Sustainable environment design
Conference proceedings papers
- Factors of environmental sounds that influence people's affective responses in terms of the major emotional dimensions. 25th International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2018, ICSV 2018: Hiroshima Calling, Vol. 6 (pp 3769-3776)
- Promoting Ageing-in-Place: Design of residential buildings for older people in China. Environment-Behaviour Proceedings Journal, Vol. 2(6) (pp 113-113)
- GCFR Pump Priming Award (£7K). Funded by the University of Sheffield. (February 2019 – July 2019). Primary Investigator.
- ODESSA project impact creation (£15k). Funded by Social Sciences Partnerships, Impact and Knowledge Exchange (SSPIKE) scheme, Faculty of Social Science, the University of Sheffield. (May 2018 – March 2019). Research Associate.
- ODESSA project (€1m). Optimising care delivery models to support ageing-in-place: towards autonomy, affordability and financial sustainability. Euro-China UPC. ESRC Grant (ES/L016095/1&2). Funded by ESRC, ANR, DFG, NOW & NSFC. In collaboration with Tsinghua University, Beijing China, Université Paris-Dauphine and Institut de Géographie, Université Sorbonne, Paris, France. (March 2015 – Februry 2018). Research Associate.
- Full PhD Studentship Award. Funded by the University of Sheffield. (September 2009 – September 2012).
- Emerging scholar award. Aging & Society: The Eighth Interdisciplinary Conference. 18-19 September 2018. Tokyo. Japan
- Best paper competition. 1st runner-up prize. AQoL 2017: The 3rd ABRA International Conference on Quality of Life. 14–16 October 2017. Kuching. Malaysia
- Chengdu Media Building design competition. Bid winner. 2006. Chengdu. Sichuang. China
- Zhongguancun Innovation Park international design competition. Shortlisted prize. 2006. Beijing. China
- Nanjing Museum international design competition. 2nd prize. 2005. Nanjing. China
- Professional activities
- Member of Aging and Society Research Network
- Affiliate Member of Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- Member of International Association of People-Environment Studies (IAPS)
- Member of Asia-Pacific Regional Network for Early Childhood (ARNEC)