Dr Claudia Lucia Rojas Bernal
Lecturer in Urban Design
PhD in Architecture, Msc in Human Settlements, BA Architecture
T: 0114 222 0327
I am an architect and a researcher in the field or Urbanism. I hold a master’s degree in Human Settlements and a PhD degree in Architecture from the University of Leuven. I have experience working in urban design projects in different contexts, such as Vietnam and Colombia. I worked in the Revision of the Mekong Delta Region Plan 2030-2050 (Vietnam), with RUA. In Colombia I worked on projects for the execution of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia Master Plan, the Bogota Sports and recreation equipment Master Plan (2015-2019) and the Master Plan for the Universidad El Rosario, among others.
MA in Urban Design Thesis Supervision
My PhD dissertation is titled “Settling with Waters. A Landscape Urbanism Investigation in the Sabana de Bogotá”. I have a strong interest in continuing my research in topics that address the intersection between water management and settlements from different perspectives such as climate change adaptation, urban upgrading and water sensitive urban design. I am also interested in deepening the use of cartography as design methodology.
|Grants, Awards and Consultancy||
2013 - IRO– KU Leuven Doctoral Scholarship (IRO Interfaculty Council for Development Co-operation).
2011 - VLIR-UOS-ICP Scholarship (VLIR Flemish Interuniversity Council UOS – University Cooperation for Development - ICP International Master Program) to attend the Master of Science in Human Settlements in Belgium.
Mapping exploration of flows of water in the Sabana de Bogotá. The river has been turned into a part of a complex infrastructural network in which water is harvested, redistributed, recycled and transformed into energy, commodities and food.
Design investigation of a decentralized water management unit combining social housing and agriculture.
Mapping exploration of the relationship between culture and water in Bogotá during the colonial period.
- Rojas Bernal CL (2018) Settling with waters. Design investigations for flood adaptation in the Sabana de Bogotá. Labor e Engenho, Campinas, 12(1), 71-89.
- Rojas C, Meulder BD & Shannon K (2015) Water urbanism in Bogotá. Exploring the potentials of an interplay between settlement patterns and water management. Habitat International, 48, 177-187. View this article in WRRO
- De Meulder B, Shannon K & Rojas Bernal CL (2015) A Vietnamese Mekong Delta Regional Plan 2030 Vision to 2050: Accentuating Six Agro-Ecological Regions. Nanfang Jianzhu / South Architecture, 41-47.
- Rojas Bernal CL (2018) Section Across the Horizontal Field: A Case Study of the Asymmetrical Condition of Bogotá’s Periphery, The Horizontal Metropolis Between Urbanism and Urbanization (pp. 215-222). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Rojas Bernal CL (2017) Rojas Bernal, C. (2017). DWELLING IN AN ECOLOGICAL SUBSTRATE. Landscape based strategies for flood adaptation in the Sabana de Bogotá (pp 1-19)
- Rojas Bernal CL (2016) Dwelling in an ecological substrate. Landscape based strategies for flood adaptation in the Sabana de Bogotá (pp 17-27)
- Rojas Bernal CL (2016) Water infrastructure and social housing in Bogotá. An intersection between modern water management and social housing production (pp 1-20)
- Rojas Bernal CL (2015) Section across the horizontal field: a case study of the asymmetrical condition of Bogotás periphery (pp 73-85)
- rojas bernal CL () The backside of the city. Marginality and waste landscapes in the Tunjuelo watershed.. Proceedings of IFoU 2018: Reframing Urban Resilience Implementation: Aligning Sustainability and Resilience