Dr Sofie Pelsmakers
DipArch MSc MRes PhD ARB RIBA FHEA CoRE Fellow
T: +44 (0)7905 696 333
I am an architect and environmental designer with more than a decade of hands-on experience designing, building and teaching sustainable architecture, including at the University of East London where I lead a masters programme in sustainable design. I finished my doctoral research at the Bartlett, UCL’s faculty of the Built Environment, where I also lead a low energy housing retrofit module. I now co-lead the MSc Sustainable Architecture Studies with Aidan Hoggard.
My PhD was titled "Pre-1919 suspended timber ground floors in the UK: estimating in-situ U-values and heat loss reduction potential of interventions" and I currently undertake research and consultancy in this area.
I am co-founder of Architecture for Change, a not-for-profit environmental building organisation and author of The Environmental Design Pocketbook. Alongside my research interests, I am interested in environmental context as a generator of architectural design.
Co-leader of MSc Sustainable Architecture Studies
I am particularly passionate about bridging the information gap between environmental research and knowledge and its application in design and building practice/industry.
My expertise is in new build low energy housing and in the upgrade of existing housing. At present I am particularly interested in robust and evidence-based solutions for the retrofit of pre-1919 suspended timber ground floors and I finished doctoral research at UCL to that effect (2012-2016)
My other inter-disciplinary research areas of interest are broad and are generally related (and shift) in accordance with gaps in research in academia and industry/society and are as follows:
PGR Supervision Interests
|Grants, Awards and Consultancy||
I am regularly invited to deliver guest lectures and workshops at universities, architects' practices & conferences. A selection of recent events:
Most recent consultancy
Main completed design projects
Main completed sustainable consultancy projects
|Professional Standing and Distinctions||
|Social Media Influence||
Listed as 1 of 100 top Twitter influencers in sustainable construction, design & the built environment by EcoBuild (2012-2015)
BD's top 10 most nominated #BDtwitter100
Top 10 Sustainability tweeters by BD (2013)
Top 30 of SustMeme Sustainability & the Built Environment (2014-15).
Sofie is Social Media Editor for Building Research and Information (BRI) and tweets from @SP_BRI. BRI focuses on buildings, building stocks and their supporting systems. Unique to BRI is a holistic and transdisciplinary approach to buildings, which acknowledges the complexity of the built environment and other systems over their life.
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of recent publications please click here.
- Pelsmakers S (2015) The Environmental Design Pocketbook. Riba Publications Limited. View this article in WRRO
- Pelsmakers S & Elwell C (2017) Suspended timber ground floors: heat loss reduction potential of insulation interventions. Energy and Buildings, 153, 549-563. View this article in WRRO
- Pelsmakers S, Croxford B & Elwell CA (2017) Suspended timber ground floors: measured heat loss compared to models. Building Research & Information. View this article in WRRO
- Pelsmakers S, Fitton R, Biddulph P, Swan W, Croxford B, Stamp S, Calboli FCF, Shipworth D, Lowe R & Elwell CA (2017) Heat-flow variability of suspended timber ground floors: implications for in-situ heat-flux measuring. Energy and Buildings, 138, 396-405. View this article in WRRO
- Pelsmakers S & Kroll D (2017) Recent approaches to sustainable retrofit of Victorian houses In Guilllery P & Kroll D (Ed.), Mobilising Housing Histories (pp. 177-191). London: Riba Publishing.
- Pelsmakers S & Kroll D (2015) The Sustainable Retrofit Challenge: What does it mean for architecture? In Lloyd Thomas K, Amhoff T & Beech N (Ed.), Industries of Architecture (pp. 316-323). Routledge
- Pelsmakers S (2013) Future-proofing London In Bell S & Paskins J (Ed.), Imagining the Future City London 2062 (pp. 73-83). London: Ubiquity Press. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Pelsmakers S, PENG C, IBRAHIM A & CHEN X (2017) Evaluating Overheating Risk and Mitigation Strategies in Low Energy Houses in the UK: Two Sheffield Case Studies. CIBSE/ASHRAE 2017 CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, 12 April 2017 - 13 April 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Vogiatzi E, Pelsmakers S & Altamirano H (2015) The PassivHaus Standard: minimising overheating risk in a changing climate. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.504063!/file/Proceedings_27mb.pdf (pp 151-160). Sheffield, 10 September 2015 - 11 September 2015. View this article in WRRO