Professor Deborah Murdoch-Eaton MBBS, MD, MRCP, FRCPCH, DipMedEd, FHEA, FAcadMEd, NTF
Dean of Medical Education
The Medical School
The University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
- Qualified from University of London Hospital Medical College in 1983
- Trained as Paediatrician MRCP and FRCPCH ., with CCT in 1995
- Consultant Neuropaediatrician Leeds General Infirmary 1995 – 2013 , Sheffield Childrens’ Hospital from 2013
- National Teaching Fellowship awarded 2004
- Professor of Medical Education Leeds School of Medicine until 2013, Director of Student Education School of Medicine
- 2013 – appointed Dean of Medical Education, University of Sheffield
- Social Accountability
- Generic Skills underpinning learning
- Global health and international Medical education
- Medical Education, Curricular Development, Feedback, Appraisal
- Dean of Medical Education
- AMEE Executive
- GMC Educational Associate
- Editor 1. Sub-editor - Education and Practice, Archives of Disease in Childhood 2. African Journal of Health Professionals Education 3. CriSTaL – Critical Studies in Teaching and Learning
- External Examinerships - held since 1997
- International medical education development and Consultancy
- Feedback components within an effective “educational alliance”
- Recognition and utilisation of feedback – understanding perceptions, theorizing models recognition, interventions to enhance engaging and developing learners
- Cultural perceptions of feedback relevance and impact
- Embedding Social Accountability within a research intensive university. Faculty MDH project, co-led with Professor Liddy Goyder, ScHARR.
- Developing and evaluating measures of Social Accountability. Collaborative work with University of Cape Town, and Bar Ilan ,Israel
- Socially accountable activities; impact upon a) learners b) University c) community partners
At Risk Students
- Impact of generic skills identification and training. Collaborative work with University of Cape Town
- Health Professional Educational Governance in Sudan
- Feedback – enhancing recognition , hearing and acting on the feedback message
- Embedding self – regulation teaching methods; simulation and preparedness for practice
- Gunston G, Burch V, Sikakana CT, Whittle S & Murdoch-Eaton D (2018) Pre-university education curriculum reform and the generic learning skills of medical school entrants: Lessons learned from South Africa. Education for Health, 31(1), 25-25. View this article in WRRO
- Bowen L, Marshall M & Murdoch-Eaton D (2017) Medical Student Perceptions of Feedback and Feedback Behaviors Within the Context of the “Educational Alliance”. Academic Medicine, 92(9), 1303-1312. View this article in WRRO
- Graham AC, Church HR & Murdoch-Eaton D (2017) Classifying simulation-based studies using the description, justification and clarification framework: a review of simulation conference abstracts. BMJ Simulation & Technology Enhanced Learning.. View this article in WRRO
- Murdoch-Eaton D & Bowen L (2017) Feedback mapping – The curricular cornerstone of an “educational alliance”. Medical Teacher, 39(5), 540-547. View this article in WRRO
- Church HR, Murdoch-Eaton D, Patel R & Sandars J (2017) What can medical educators learn from the Rio 2016 Olympic Games?. Medical Teacher. View this article in WRRO
- Sandars J & Murdoch-Eaton D (2016) Appreciative inquiry in medical education *. Medical Teacher. View this article in WRRO
- van Schalkwyk SC, Murdoch-Eaton D, Tekian A, van der Vleuten C & Cilliers F (2016) The supervisor’s toolkit: A framework for doctoral supervision in health professions education: AMEE Guide No. 104. Medical Teacher, 38(5), 429-442. View this article in WRRO
- Thwaites Bee D & Murdoch-Eaton D (2016) Questionnaire design: the good, the bad and the pitfalls. Archives of disease in childhood - Education & practice edition, 101, 210-212.
- Leigh-Hunt N, Stroud L, Murdoch Eaton D & Rudolf M (2015) A qualitative study of enablers and barriers influencing the incorporation of social accountability values into organisational culture: a perspective from two medical schools. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research, 4(1). View this article in WRRO
- Vivekananda-Schmidt P, Crossley J & Murdoch-Eaton D (2015) A model of professional self-identity formation in student doctors and dentists: a mixed method study. BMC Medical Education, 15(1). View this article in WRRO
- Essa-Hadad J, Murdoch-Eaton D & Rudolf MCJ (2015) What impact does community service learning have on medical students' appreciation of population health?. Public Health, 129(11), 1444-1451. View this article in WRRO
- Mellon A & Murdoch-Eaton D (2015) Supervisor or mentor: is there a difference? Implications for paediatric practice. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 100(9), 873-878. View this article in WRRO
- Keegan L-J, Reed-Berendt R, Neilly E, Morrall MCHJ & Murdoch-Eaton D (2014) Effectiveness of melatonin for sleep impairment post paediatric acquired brain injury: Evidence from a systematic review. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 17(5), 355-362.
- McCrea ML & Murdoch-Eaton D (2014) How do undergraduate medical students perceive social accountability?. Medical Teacher, 36(10), 867-875. View this article in WRRO
- Lumb A & Murdoch-Eaton D (2014) Electives in undergraduate medical education: AMEE Guide No. 88. Medical Teacher, 36(7), 557-572. View this article in WRRO
- Murdoch-Eaton D & Sandars J (2014) Reflection: moving from a mandatory ritual to meaningful professional development. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 99(3), 279-283.
- Rudolf MCJ, Reis S, Gibbs TJ, Murdoch Eaton D, Stone D, Grady M, Berlin A, Blair M, Essa-Hadad J, Spitzer-Shohat S & Weingarten M (2014) How can medical schools contribute to bringing about health equity?. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research, 3(1). View this article in WRRO
- Burch VC, Sikakana CNT, Gunston GD, Shamley DR & Murdoch-Eaton D (2013) Generic learning skills in academically-at-risk medical students: A development programme bridges the gap. Medical Teacher, 35(8), 671-677.
- Murdoch-Eaton DG (2013) Managing difficult issues: does training have any impact?. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 98(1), 1-2.
- McLean M, Murdoch-Eaton D & Shaban S (2013) Poor English language proficiency hinders generic skills development: a qualitative study of the perspectives of first-year medical students. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 37(4), 462-481.
- Harvey DW, Morrall M, Neilly E & Murdoch-Eaton D (2012) Question 3 Should stimulants be administered to manage diffi culties with attention, hyperactivity and impulsivity following paediatric acquired brain injury?: Table 3. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 97(8), 755-758.
- Murdoch-Eaton D & Sargeant J (2012) Maturational differences in undergraduate medical students’ perceptions about feedback. Medical Education, 46(7), 711-721.
- Murdoch-Eaton D (2012) Feedback: the complexity of self-perception and the transition from ‘transmit’ to ‘received and understood’. Medical Education, 46(6), 538-540.
- Murdoch-Eaton D & Whittle S (2012) Generic skills in medical education: developing the tools for successful lifelong learning. Medical Education, 46(1), 120-128.
- Murdoch-Eaton D, Manning D, Kwizera E, Burch V, Pell G & Whittle S (2012) Profiling undergraduates’ generic learning skills on entry to medical school; an international study. Medical Teacher, 34(12), 1033-1046.
- Murdoch-Eaton D (2011) Student Selected Components (SSCs): Guide supplement 46.1 – Viewpoint. Medical Teacher, 33(9), 762-764.
- Murdoch-Eaton D & Green A (2011) The contribution and challenges of electives in the development of social accountability in medical students. Medical Teacher, 33(8), 643-648.
- Eaton DM, Redmond A & Bax N (2011) Training healthcare professionals for the future: Internationalism and effective inclusion of global health training. Medical Teacher, 33(7), 562-569.
- McLean M, Shaban S & Murdoch-Eaton D (2011) Transferable skills of incoming medical students and their development over the first academic year: The United Arab Emirates experience. Medical Teacher, 33(6), e297-e305.
- Waters E, Morrall MCHJ & Murdoch-Eaton D (2010) Question 3 Should carbamazepine be administered to manage agitation and aggressive behaviour following paediatric acquired brain injury?. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 95(11), 950-952.
- Whittle SR, Pell G & Murdoch‐Eaton DG (2010) Recent changes to students' perceptions of their key skills on entry to higher education. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 34(4), 557-570.
- Murdoch-Eaton D, Drewery S, Elton S, Emmerson C, Marshall M, Smith JA, Stark P & Whittle S (2010) What Do Medical Students Understand By Research And Research Skills? Identifying Research Opportunities Within Undergraduate Projects. Medical Teacher, 32(3), e152-e160.
- Mellon AF & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2009) Back to the future: education or training for paediatricians?. Archives of Disease in Childhood - Education and Practice, 94(6), 186-190.
- Whittle SR & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2008) Learning about plagiarism using Turnitin detection software. Medical Education, 42(5), 528-528.
- Robinson L, Drewery S, Ellershaw J, Smith J, Whittle S & Murdoch-Eaton D (2007) Research governance: impeding both research and teaching? A survey of impact on undergraduate research opportunities. Medical Education, 41(8), 729-736.
- Robinson L, Murdoch-Eaton D & Carter Y (2007) NHS research ethics committees. BMJ, 335(7609), 6-6.
- Whittle SR, Whelan B & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2007) DREEM and beyond; studies of the educational environment as a means for its enhancement.. Education for health (Abingdon, England), 20(1), 7.
- Whittle S, Whelan B & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2007) DREEM and beyond; studies of the educational environment as a means for its enhancement. Education for Health: Change in Learning and Practice, 20(1).
- Murdoch-Eaton D, Pell G & Roberts T (2007) Changing approach to undergraduate studies documented during annual appraisal of medical students. Medical Teacher, 29(2-3), 111-118.
- Kilminster S, Downes J, Gough B, Murdoch-Eaton D & Roberts T (2007) Women in medicine�?�is there a problem? A literature review of the changing gender composition, structures and occupational cultures in medicine. Medical Education, 41(1), 39-49.
- Murdoch-Eaton D (2006) Student appraisal: a model for the future. The Clinical Teacher, 3(3), 138-142.
- Stark P, Ellershaw J, Newble D, Perry M, Robinsons L, Smith J, Whittle S & Murdoch-Eaton D (2005) Student-selected components in the undergraduate medical curriculum: a multi-institutional consensus on assessable key tasks. MEDICAL TEACHER, 27(8), 720-725.
- Stark P, Ellershaw J, Newble D, Perry M, Robinson L, Smith J, Whittle S & Murdoch-Eaton D (2005) Student-selected components in the undergraduate medical curriculum: a multi-institutional consensus on assessable key tasks. Medical Teacher, 27(8), 720-725.
- Robley W, Whittle S & Murdoch‐Eaton D (2005) Mapping generic skills curricula: a recommended methodology. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 29(3), 221-231.
- Whittle SR & Murdoch‐Eaton D (2005) Curriculum 2000: have changes in sixth form curricula affected students' key skills?. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 29(1), 61-71.
- Whittle SR & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2004) Lifelong learning skills: how experienced are students when they enter medical school?. Medical Teacher, 26(6), 576-578.
- Whittle SR & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2004) Study habits audit. Medical Education, 38(5), 566-567.
- Murdoch-Eaton DG & Levene MI (2004) Formal appraisal of undergraduate medical students: is it worth the effort?. Medical Teacher, 26(1), 28-32.
- Murdoch-Eaton D, Ellershaw J, Garden A, Newble D, Perry M, Robinson L, Smith J, Stark P & Whittle S (2004) Student-selected components in the undergraduate medical curriculum: a multi-institutional consensus on purpose. Medical Teacher, 26(1), 33-38.
- Wright I, Waterman M, Prescott H & Murdoch-Eaton D (2003) A new Stroop-like measure of inhibitory function development: typical developmental trends. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 44(4), 561-575.
- Yates MS, Drewery S & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2002) Alternative learning environments: what do they contribute to professional development of medical students?. Medical Teacher, 24(6), 609-615.
- Jha V, Duffy S & Murdoch-Eaton D (2002) Development of transferable skills during short special study modules: students' self-appraisal. Medical Teacher, 24(2), 202-204.
- Howe A (2002) Twelve tips for community-based medical education. Medical Teacher, 24(1), 9-12.
- Murdoch-Eaton D (2002) Reflective Practice Skills in Undergraduates. Academic Medicine, 77(7), 734-734.
- Whittle SR & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2002) Student-selected projects: can they enhance lifelong learning skills?. Medical Teacher, 24(1), 41-44.
- Whittle SR & Murdoch-Eaton DG (2001) Development of lifelong learning and self-evaluation skills through special study modules. Medical Education, 35(11), 1073-1074.
- Murdoch-Eaton D & Jolly B (2000) Undergraduate projects - do they have to be within the conventional medical environment?. Medical Education, 34(2), 95-100.
- Yeung S, Ferrie CD, Murdoch-Eaton DG & Livingston JH (2000) Topiramate for drug-resistant epilepsies. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology, 4(1), 31-33.
- Eaton DM & Cottrell D (1999) Structured teaching methods enhance skill acquisition but not problem-solving abilities: an evaluation of the ?silent run through?. Medical Education, 33(1), 19-23.
- Murdoch Eaton D & Cottrell D (1998) Maximising the effectiveness of undergraduate teaching in the clinical setting. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 79(4), 365-367.
- Eaton DGM & Levene MI (1997) Student feedback: influencing the quality of teaching in a paediatric module. Medical Education, 31(3), 190-193.
- Kerrin D, Murdoch Eaton D, Livingston J, Henderson M & Smith M (1996) Homocystinuria Presenting With Sagittal Sinus Thrombosis in Infancy. Journal of Child Neurology, 11(1), 70-71.
- Childs A-M, Murdoch Eaton DG, Standring P & Puntis JWL (1995) A prospective comparison of central and peripheral vein access for parenteral nutrition in the newborn. Clinical Nutrition, 14(5), 303-305.
- Baxter PS, Gardner-Medwin D, Barwick DD, Ince P, Livingston J & Murdoch-Eaton D (1995) Vigabatrin monotherapy in resistant neonatal seizures. Seizure, 4(1), 57-59.
- Eaton DGM, Wertheim D, Oozeer R, Dubowitz LMS & Dubowitz V (1994) Reversible changes in cerebral activity associated with acidosis in preterm neonates. Acta Paediatrica, 83(5), 486-492.
- Rutherford MA, Pennock JM, Murdoch-Eaton DM, Cowan FM & Dubowitz LM (1992) Athetoid cerebral palsy with cysts in the putamen after hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy.. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 67(7 Spec No), 846-850.
- Murdoch-Eaton D, Darowski M & Livingston J () Cerebral function monitoring in paediatric intensive care: useful features for predicting outcome. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 43(02), 91-91.