BMedSci Medical Education

The Academic Unit of Medical Education offers a 1 year BMedSci in Medical Education, which is an option of the intercalated BMedSci degree programme. About 10% of medical students at Sheffield undertake a BMedSci, working in fields such as cancer research, cardiology, genetics, pharmacology and rheumatology.

The BMedSci programme offers medical undergraduates an opportunity to develop research, communication and IT skills. Students undertake a dissertation which makes up 70% of the year and the remaining 30% is a taught component. Further details can be found here

Why Do A BMedSci In Medical Education?

Medical Education is a growing area. Almost all doctors are expected to teach and the BMedSci programme offers an opportunity to learn about teaching and learning. Medical Education touches every area of medicine and medical students will be part of the process for years to come as they move into postgraduate education and life long learning. Exposure to this field at an early stage in a student's careers will prove invaluable.

How Is The Programme Structured?

70% Dissertation project
The main aim of a BMedSci is for students to learn how to do research. Research projects can be tailor-made to the requirements of the student and supervisors, but the department has particular expertise in:
* Clinical Skills Teaching
* The Use of Information Technology in Health Care Education
* Assessment
* Professionalism

30% Taught Component
All BMedSci students do a course in statistics and ethics which are assessed by assignments.

Possible Supervisors Include:

Dr Jim Crossley
Dr Pirashanthie Vivekananda-Schmidt
Dr Michelle Marshall

Professor Deborah Murdoch Eaton
Professor John Sandars
Dr Denise Bee
Dr Julian Burton

Dr Joanne Thompson
Dr Amir Burney