Take a tour
You get to use industry-grade equipment
Supported by expert lab technicians and helpful support staff, Sheffield prides itself on delivering a high-quality learning experience. Individual study spaces, group work and open-plan computer rooms are just some of the useful study facilities available outside of lectures.
An 81-million pound building at the heart of campus, The Diamond has modern lecture theatres, a variety of small-to-large study spaces, bookable IT equipment, computer rooms and project spaces. This visually striking and technologically impressive venue boasts 19 state-of-the-art laboratories to bring your studies to life - it's all about hands-on learning!
The Bioengineering labs in The Diamond feature state-of-the art, industry-standard equipment which you'll get to use from the moment you join us in the first year and throughout your studies.
- A suite of ten Class II Biological Safety Cabinets for learning aseptic cell culture techniques, which are fundamental for cell and tissue engineering.
- Ten inverted phase contrast microscopes with digital cameras for routine cell monitoring.
- A live cell imaging system to study living cells using time-lapse microscopy.
- Three fluorescent microscopes and two scanning electron microscopes to study cell interations on the surface of biomaterials.
- Ten electronically-controlled testing machines to measure the tensile strength of a biomaterial or biological tissue.
- Four remotely controllable small-scale bioreactors systems to mimic industrial biomanufacture applications.
- Ten data acquisition hardware and software for measuring a range of physiological signals using sensors, such as pulse rate, blood pressure and electrocardiography.
- A project space containing ten 3D printers, cutting machines, art engraving and tools for the design and manufacture of a medical device or implant.
- A large suite of electronic and control systems hardware and software for the design, development and testing of devices and equipment, which are key skills for biomedical engineers.