Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
The Department of Biomedical Science prides itself as a rich and inclusive working environment. Our aim is to create a working environment free from intimidation, abuse, and discrimination. This inclusive culture enables our staff and students to thrive personally and professionally, and ultimately leads to better outcomes across the learning, teaching and research. We strongly believe that fairness of opportunity, whilst valuing and celebrating our differences, will uphold our shared values and allow us to capitalise on a broader range of knowledge and skills thus making valuable contributions to Departmental objectives.
With this committment, BMS has identified a Departmental Director for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (DDEDI) who is responsible for working with all staff and students within the department to deliver key priorities relating to staff equality, diversity and inclusion matters.
In support, our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I) Committee meets bimonthly to discuss all issues concerning diversity in the department.
Follow the links below to find more information about the many departmental, faculty and university-wide schemes to promote equality and diversity in our institution.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Implement strategies to enhance BMS’s engagement and promotion of a culture where ALL staff are supported and are able to flourish and reach their potential.
- Champion equality and diversity within their peer groups.
- Highlight, integrate and embed good practises with their peer groups.
- Identify areas of opportunity to promote equality and inclusion and to assist to address potential barriers.
- Support and maintain at the highest possible level, the BMS Athena Swan award including delivery of the associated action plan.
- Support the implementation of Faculty of Science (FoS) strategies and activities (including the FoS Excellence Through Inclusion Action Plan) to address core strategic areas of ED&I focus.
ED&I Committee Membership (as of November 2018)
|Zoe Hewitt||BMS Director of ED&I/ Chair|
|Mark Bass||Academic/ Academic Related Staff Representative|
|Anne-Gaelle Borycki||Academic/ Academic Related Staff Representative|
|Natalia Bulgakova||Academic/ Academic Related Staff Representative|
|Paul Gokhale||Academic/ Academic Related Staff Representative|
|Charlotte Leese||Postdoctoral Researcher Staff Representative|
|Angela Ibler||Postdoctoral Researcher Staff Representative|
|Bronte Elliott||Technical Staff Representative - Research|
|Andrew Metcalfe||Technical Staff Representative - Teaching|
|Angelique Mawdsley||Professional Staff Representative|
|Joel Sims||UG Representative|
|Salma Srour||PGT Representative|
|Mona Nazemi||PGR Representative|
|Holly Stainton||PGR Representative|
|Will Collier||Secretary/ Professional Staff Representative|
Faculty Equality and Diversity information
Further information can be found on the Faculty of Science Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Hub.
Equality in Biomedical Science
We are very pleased to announce that the Department has been awarded the Athena SWAN Bronze Award
Biomedical Science is a family-friendly department: many of our academic and professional staff have children, and so are sensitive to the demands of combining a career and family. As a department, we are supported by the University of Sheffield’s Athena SWAN Silver Award and take advantage of University initiatives such as the Women’s Network to encourage, develop and prompt women within the University.