Our campus today
How did we get here?
The University of Sheffield was founded in 1905 under a Royal Charter which brought together three existing institutions – the Sheffield School of Medicine, Firth College and the Sheffield Technical School.
Much of the early development of the University focused on two sites – Firth Hall and other developments on Western Bank, and St Georges and associated buildings around Mappin Street.
Many other buildings have since been added, linking the two original sites together, but they are still divided by Upper Hanover Street, part of the busy inner ring road, and Western Bank, a major radial route into the city, which meet at the frequently congested University/Brook Hill roundabout.
Our entire estate, which also includes student villages at Endcliffe and Ranmoor, sporting facilities on Western Bank and Warminster Road, and the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre with Boeing at Catcliffe supports our population of almost 26,000 students and 7,000 staff, accommodated in five million square feet of buildings.
That population makes a major contribution to the economy of the Sheffield City Region, both through their spending and their longer-term impact on the region's knowledge and skills.