Dr Jon (Xiubo) Zhao
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Foundation Year Tutor
+44 114 222 8256
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
I obtained a BEng in Biochemical Engineering from China in 2003 and a PhD from The University of Manchester in January 2007, working on biocompatible polymers for gene delivery.
Following my PhD I was a postdoctoral research fellow for 5 years at the University of Manchester working on peptide self-assembly, biointerfaces, and biosensors.
In 2012, I joined the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Sheffield as a Lecturer. I was the first year tutor from 2013-16 and took on the role of Engineering Foundation Year Admissions Tutor from September 2016.
- Research interests
- Nanomedicine: Using de novo designed self-assembling peptides as antimicrobial and anticancer agents and vectors for gene delivery; developing silk/magnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery.
- Bioprinting: Reactive inkjet printing of biomaterials (e.g. silk) as tissue culture scaffolds and swimming devices and biosensors for biomedical applications.
- Biointerfaces: Biomolecular assembly and interaction at interfaces for biosensor applications.
Our recent work of biocompatible silk micro-rockets has received media attentions:
- Photodegradation of textile pollutants by nanocomposite membranes of polyvinylidene fluoride integrated with polyaniline–titanium dioxide nanotubes. Chemical Engineering Journal, 419.
- Stiffness-tuneable nanocarriers for controlled delivery of ASC-J9 into colorectal cancer cells. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 594, 513-521.
- Silk fibroin as a functional biomaterial for tissue engineering. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 22(3).
- Recent advances in 3D bioprinting of vascularized tissues. Materials & Design, 199.
- Recent advances in microfluidics for the preparation of drug and gene delivery systems. Molecular Pharmaceutics.
- Interfacial assembly inspired by marine mussels and antifouling effects of polypeptoids : a neutron reflection study. Langmuir, 36(41), 12309-12318. View this article in WRRO
- Patterning the neuronal cells via inkjet printing of self-assembled peptides on silk scaffolds. Progress in Natural Science: Materials International.
- Electrospun Icariin-Loaded Core-Shell Collagen, Polycaprolactone, Hydroxyapatite Composite Scaffolds for the Repair of Rabbit Tibia Bone Defects. International Journal of Nanomedicine, Volume 15, 3039-3056. View this article in WRRO
- Collagen, polycaprolactone and attapulgite composite scaffolds for in vivo bone repair in rabbit models. Biomedical Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Silk fibroin as a functional biomaterial for drug and gene delivery. Pharmaceutics, 11(10), 494-494. View this article in WRRO
- Reactive inkjet printing and propulsion analysis of silk-based self-propelled micro-stirrers. Journal of Visualized Experiments(146). View this article in WRRO
- A review of Curcumin and its derivatives as anticancer agents. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 20(5). View this article in WRRO
- Reactive Inkjet Printing of Functional Silk Stirrers for Enhanced Mixing and Sensing. Small, 15(1), 1804213-1804213. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic-silk/polyethyleneimine core-shell nanoparticles for targeted gene delivery into human breast cancer cells. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 555, 322-336. View this article in WRRO
- Toxic effect of the novel chiral insecticide IPP and its biodegradation intermediate in nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 164, 604-610. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic alginate/chitosan nanoparticles for targeted delivery of curcumin into human breast cancer cells. Nanomaterials, 8(11). View this article in WRRO
- Film bulk acoustic resonators (FBARs) as biosensors: A review. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 116, 1-15. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic-Silk Core–Shell Nanoparticles as Potential Carriers for Targeted Delivery of Curcumin into Human Breast Cancer Cells. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 3(6), 1027-1038. View this article in WRRO
- Biocompatible silk fibroin scaffold prepared by reactive inkjet printing. Journal of Materials Science, 51(18), 8625-8630. View this article in WRRO
- Interfacial Adsorption of Silk Fibroin Peptides and Their Interaction with Surfactants at the Solid-Water Interface. Langmuir, 32, 8202-8211. View this article in WRRO
- Reactive Inkjet Printing of Biocompatible Enzyme Powered Silk Micro-Rockets. Small, 12(30), 4048-4055. View this article in WRRO
- Corrigendum to “ZnO based SAW and FBAR devices for bio-sensing applications” journal of non-Newtonian fluid mechanics 222C, 2015, 209–216. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 228, 96-96.
- Synergistic effect of bioactive lipid and condition medium on cardiac differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells from different tissues. Cell Biochemistry and Function, 34(3), 163-172. View this article in WRRO
- Engineering a thermostable iron superoxide dismutase based on manganese superoxide dismutase from Thermus thermophilus. Process Biochemistry, 51(1), 39-47.
- Co-adsorption of peptide amphiphile V6K and conventional surfactants SDS and C12TAB at the solid/water interface. Soft Matter, 11, 7986-7994. View this article in WRRO
- ZnO based SAW and FBAR devices for bio-sensing applications. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 222, 209-216.
- Interfacial structure of immobilized antibodies and perdeuterated HSA in model pregnancy tests measured with neutron reflectivity. Langmuir, 30(20), 5880-5887.
- Label-free detection of human prostate-specific antigen (hPSA) using film bulk acoustic resonators (FBARs). Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 190, 946-953.
- Interfacial assembly of lipopeptide surfactants on octyltrimethoxysilane- modified silica surface. Soft Matter, 9(40), 9684-9691.
- Stress fermentation strategies for the production of hyperthermostable superoxide dismutase from Thermus thermophilus HB27: effects of ions. Extremophiles, 1-8.
- Direct comparison of the gravimetric responsivities of ZnO-based FBARs and SMRs. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 183, 136-143.
- Interfacial recognition of human prostate-specific antigen by immobilized monoclonal antibody: effects of solution conditions and surface chemistry.. J R Soc Interface, 9(75), 2457-2467. View this article in WRRO
- Protein functionalized ZnO thin film bulk acoustic resonator as an odorant biosensor. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical.
- Controllable stabilization of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)-based microgel films through biomimetic mineralization of calcium carbonate. Biomacromolecules, 13(8), 2299-2308.
- Immobilization of Lipases on Alkyl Silane Modified Magnetic Nanoparticles: Effect of Alkyl Chain Length on Enzyme Activity. PLoS ONE, 7(8). View this article in WRRO
- Dual-mode thin film bulk acoustic wave resonators for parallel sensing of temperature and mass loading. Biosensors and Bioelectronics.
- Dual-mode thin film bulk acoustic wave resonators for parallel sensing of temperature and mass loading. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 38(1), 369-374.
- Protein functionalized ZnO thin film bulk acoustic resonator as an odorant biosensor. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 163, 242-246.
- Interfacial adsorption of cationic peptide amphiphiles: A combined study of in situ spectroscopic ellipsometry and liquid AFM. Soft Matter, 8(3), 645-652.
- Molecular mechanisms of antibacterial and antitumor actions of designed surfactant-like peptides. Biomaterials, 33(2), 592-603.
- ZnO based SAW and FBAR devices for lab-on-a chip applications. Proceedings of the International Display Workshops, 2, 1149-1152.
- Molecular mechanisms of antibacterial and antitumor actions of designed surfactant-like peptides. Biomaterials.
- Self-assembly of short Aβ(16-22) peptides: Effect of terminal capping and the role of electrostatic interaction. Langmuir, 27(6), 2723-2730.
- Dynamic adsorption and structure of interfacial bilayers adsorbed from lipopeptide surfactants at the hydrophilic silicon/water interface: Effect of the headgroup length. Langmuir, 27(14), 8798-8809.
- Interfacial immobilization of monoclonal antibody and detection of human prostate-specific antigen. Langmuir, 27(12), 7654-7662.
- Sphingosine-1-phosphate promotes the differentiation of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells into cardiomyocytes under the designated culturing conditions. Journal of Biomedical Science, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Effects of anions on nanostructuring of cationic amphiphilic peptides. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 115(41), 11862-11871.
- Deposition and characterisation of ultralow-stress ZnO thin films for application in FBAR-based gravimetric biosensors. International Journal of Nanomanufacturing, 7(3-4), 371-382.
- Self-assembly of short peptide amphiphiles: The cooperative effect of hydrophobic interaction and hydrogen bonding. Chemistry - A European Journal, 17(46), 13095-13102.
- Solidly mounted resonators with carbon nanotube electrodes for biosensing applications. Proceedings of the IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium and Exposition.
- ZnO-Based FBAR resonators with carbon nanotube electrodes. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 58(11), 2438-2445.
- AlN-based BAW resonators with CNT electrodes for gravimetric biosensing. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 160(1), 1386-1393.
- Designed antimicrobial and antitumor peptides with high selectivity. Biomacromolecules, 12(11), 3839-3843.
- Interfacial adsorption of lipopeptide surfactants at the silica/water interface studied by neutron reflection. Soft Matter, 7(5), 1777-1788.
- ChemInform Abstract: Molecular Self-Assembly and Applications of Designer Peptide Amphiphiles. ChemInform, 41(49), no-no.
- Thermoresponsive copolymer nanofilms for controlling cell adhesion, growth, and detachment.. Langmuir, 26(22), 17304-17314.
- Molecular self-assembly and applications of designer peptide amphiphiles.. Chem Soc Rev, 39(9), 3480-3498.
- Surface structural conformations of fibrinogen polypeptides for improved biocompatibility.. Biomaterials, 31(14), 3781-3792.
- Fabrication of high-Q film bulk acoustic resonator (FBAR) filters with carbon nanotube (CNT) electrodes. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 301-304.
- Fabrication of high-Q film bulk acoustic resonator (FBAR) filters withcarbon nanotube (CNT) electrodes. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 301-304.
- Twisted nanotubes formed from ultrashort amphiphilic peptide I
3K and their templating for the fabrication of silica nanotubes. Chemistry of Materials, 22(18), 5165-5173.
- Interfacial dynamic adsorption and structure of molecular layers of peptide surfactants. Langmuir, 26(8), 5690-5696.
- Antibacterial activities of short designer peptides: A link between propensity for nanostructuring and capacity for membrane destabilization. Biomacromolecules, 11(2), 402-411.
- Molecular biophysics underlying gene delivery. Annual Reports on the Progress of Chemistry - Section C, 106, 305-323.
- ChemInform Abstract: Recent Development of Peptide Self-Assembly. ChemInform, 40(31).
- Hydrophobic-region-induced transitions in self-assembled peptide nanostructures.. Langmuir, 25(7), 4115-4123.
- Dynamic self-assembly of surfactant-like peptides A(6)K and A(9)K. SOFT MATTER, 5(20), 3870-3878.
- Interfacial assembly of cationic peptide surfactants. Soft Matter, 5(8), 1630-1638.
- Hydrophobic-region-induced transitions in self-assembled peptide nanostructures. Langmuir, 25(7), 4115-4123.
- Controlled delivery of antisense oligonucleotides: A brief review of current strategies. Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, 6(7), 673-686.
- Latherin: A surfactant protein of horse sweat and saliva. PLoS ONE, 4(5). View this article in WRRO
- Interfacial assembly of proteins and peptides: Recent examples studied by neutron reflection. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 6(SUPPL. 5).
- Solution behavior and activity of a halophilic esterase under high salt concentration. PLoS ONE, 4(9). View this article in WRRO
- Ranaspumin-2: Structure and function of a surfactant protein from the foam nests of a tropical frog. Biophysical Journal, 96(12), 4984-4992.
- pH-responsive nanoaggregation of diblock phosphorylcholine copolymers. J PHYS CHEM B, 112(32), 9652-9659.
- Recent development of peptide self-assembly. Progress in Natural Science, 18(6), 653-660.
- Interfacial adsorption and denaturization of human milk and recombinant rice lactoferrin. Biointerphases, 3(2).
- Interfacial adsorption of antifreeze proteins: A neutron reflection study. Biophysical Journal, 94(11), 4405-4413.
- Cationic copolymer-mediated DNA immobilization: Interfacial structure and composition as determined by ellipsometry, dual polarization interferometry, and neutron reflection. Langmuir, 24(23), 13556-13564.
- Controlled delivery of anti-sense oligodeoxynucleotide from multilayered biocompatible phosphorylcholine polymer films. Journal of Controlled Release, 130(1), 69-76.
- Plasmid DNA complexation with phosphorylcholine diblock copolymers and its effect on cell transfection. Langmuir, 24(13), 6881-6888.
- Nanostructure of polyplexes formed between cationic diblock copolymer and antisense oligodeoxynucleotide and its influence on cell Transfection efficiency. BIOMACROMOLECULES, 8(11), 3493-3502.
- Biomimetic amphiphiles: Biosurfactants. CURR OPIN COLLOID IN, 12(2), 60-67.
- Protein adsorption studied by neutron reflection. CURR OPIN COLLOID IN, 12(1), 9-16.
- Coadsorption of human milk lactoferrin into the dipalmitoylglycerolphosphatidylcholine phospholipid monolayer spread at the air/water interface. Biophysical Journal, 92(4), 1254-1262.
- Relationship between the structural conformation of monoclonal antibody layers and antigen binding capacity. Biomacromolecules, 8(8), 2422-2428.
- Interfacial immobilisation of DNA molecules. Annual Reports on the Progress of Chemistry - Section C, 103, 261-286.
- Precise particle tracking against a complicated background: Polynomial fitting with Gaussian weight. Physical Biology, 4(3), 220-227.
- Separation of glucose oxidase and catalase using ultrafiltration with 300-kDa polyethersulfone membranes. Journal of Membrane Science, 299(1-2), 222-228.
- Orientation of a monoclonal antibody adsorbed at the solid/solution interface: A combined study using atomic force microscopy and neutron reflectivity. Langmuir, 22(14), 6313-6320.
- Controlled delivery of antisense oligodeoxynucleotide from cationically modified phosphorylcholine polymer films. Biomacromolecules, 7(3), 784-791.
- Surface-induced unfolding of human lactoferrin. Langmuir, 21(8), 3354-3361.
- Solution pH-regulated interfacial adsorption of diblock phosphorylcholine copolymers. Langmuir, 21(21), 9597-9603.
- Surface modification to improve biocompatibility, Comprehensive Biotechnology (pp. 471-487).
- CHAPTER 8. Reactive Inkjet Printing of Regenerated Silk Fibroin as a 3D Scaffold for Autonomous Swimming Devices (Micro-rockets), Reactive Inkjet Printing (pp. 169-201). Royal Society of Chemistry
- Surface Modification to Improve Biocompatibility, Comprehensive Biotechnology (pp. 65-81). Elsevier
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO Altering the Bubble Release of Reactive Inkjet Printed Silk Micro-rockets. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, Vol. 2016 (pp 452-456), 12 September 2016 - 12 September 2016.
- View this article in WRRO Regenerated silk fibroin as an inkjet printable biomaterial. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, Vol. 2016 (pp 406-409), 12 September 2016 - 16 September 2016.
- Structural Insight of Antibody Adsorption for Improved Bioactivity and Detection. PROTEINS AT INTERFACES III: STATE OF THE ART, Vol. 1120 (pp 543-+)
- DNA immobilization using biocompatible diblock phosphorylcholine copolymers. SURFACE AND INTERFACE ANALYSIS, Vol. 38(4) (pp 548-551)
- Adsorption of polyethyleneimine characterized by spectroscopic ellipsometry. PROGRESS IN NATURAL SCIENCE-MATERIALS INTERNATIONAL, Vol. 15 (pp 56-59)
- EPSRC, PI, Fabrication of antibody functionalized silk fibroin micro-well arrays using reactive inkjet printing for circulating tumour cell capture (2016-19)
- EPSRC, Co-I, Printable micro-rockets for rapid medical diagnosis and biomarker detection (2016-18)
- EPSRC, Co-I, Engineering novel antimicrobial peptide surfaces (2016-17)
- EPSRC, PI, Engineering smart 3D silk fibroin tissue culture scaffolds using reactive inkjet printing (2015-16)
- Royal Society, PI, Novel anticancer peptides for targeted delivery of siRNA into cancer cells (2015-17)
- Teaching activities
- BIE201 - Advanced Bioengineering Topics
- CPE1002 - Chemical Process Principles 1
- CPE3003 - Advanced Chemical Engineering (Chemical Reaction Engineering)
- CPE401 - MEng (Chemical Engineering) Research Projects
- CPE6010/6011 - MSc Research Projects