Professor Serena Corr
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Chair in Functional Nanomaterials
Director of Research
+44 114 222 7607
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Pam Liversidge Building
Serena obtained her BA (2002) and PhD (2007) in Chemistry from Trinity College Dublin. She completed her PhD work on New Magnetic Nanostructured Materials with Professor Yurii Gun’ko, where she developed new magnetic materials for biomedical applications.
In 2007, she began working as a postdoctoral researcher in the Materials Research Laboratory with Professor Ram Seshadri at the University of California, Santa Barbara where she studied metal-insulator transitions in vanadates.
After a lectureship at the University of Kent, Serena joined the School of Chemistry at the University of Glasgow as a lecturer in Physical Chemistry in 2013, was promoted to Reader in 2016 and made Professor and Chair of Energy Materials in 2018.
In October 2018, she joined the University of Sheffield as Professor and Chair in Functional Nanomaterials, as a joint appointment between the Departments of Chemical and Biological Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering. Her research focuses on the design, synthesis and characterization of functional nanomaterials in particular for applications in energy storage, with an emphasis on understanding their intimate structure-property interplay.
She is associate editor of the RSC journals Nanoscale and Nanoscale Advances, IOP journal Progress in Energy and sits on the editorial boards of Chemistry of Materials and Nanoscale Horizons. She was Theme Coordinator for Energy Conversion and Storage for the Scottish Energy Technology Partnership until 2018 and is a member of the Supergen Energy Storage Hub and Science board.
Serena also serves on the scientific and organising committees for a number of conferences (including the UK Energy Storage conference 2016; ISACS: Challenges in Inorganic Chemistry 2017; 16th European Solid State meeting 2017). Serena was appointed to the EPSRC Strategic Advisory Committee in 2017, a post she will hold for three years.
She has published over 50 refereed publications, including five invited book chapters. In 2017, she was awarded the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Journal of Materials Chemistry Lectureship. She is committed to ECR mentoring, promotion of women in science and public outreach activities (>60 invited/plenary talks with upcoming Royal Institution public lecture on batteries).
- Li1.5La1.5MO6 (M = W6+, Te6+) as a new series of lithium-rich double perovskites for all-solid-state lithium-ion batteries. Nature Communications, 11(1).
- Benzo-dipteridine derivatives as organic cathodes for Li- and Na-ion batteries. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 3(9), 8302-8308. View this article in WRRO
- Exploiting cation aggregation in new magnesium amidohaloaluminate electrolytes for magnesium batteries. Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers, 7(12), 2305-2312.
- A facile synthetic approach to nanostructured Li2S cathodes for rechargeable solid-state Li–S batteries. Nanoscale, 11(41), 19297-19300. View this article in WRRO
- Morphology-Directed Synthesis of LiFePO4 and LiCoPO4 from Nanostructured Li1+2xPO3+x. Inorganic Chemistry, 58(10), 6946-6949.
- A conversation with Serena Corr. ACS Central Science, 4(12), 1594-1595. View this article in WRRO
- Na 1.5 La 1.5 TeO 6 : Na + conduction in a novel Na-rich double perovskite. Chemical Communications, 54(72), 10040-10043. View this article in WRRO
- Selective and Facile Synthesis of Sodium Sulfide and Sodium Disulfide Polymorphs.. Inorganic Chemistry, 57(13), 7499-7502. View this article in WRRO
- NASICON LiM 2 (PO 4 ) 3 electrolyte (M = Zr) and electrode (M = Ti) materials for all solid-state Li-ion batteries with high total conductivity and low interfacial resistance. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6(13), 5296-5303. View this article in WRRO
- Mechanistic insights of Li+ diffusion within doped LiFePO4 from Muon Spectroscopy. Scientific Reports, 8(1). View this article in WRRO
- Enhancement of the lithium ion conductivity of Ta-doped Li7La3Zr2O12 by incorporation of calcium. Dalton Transactions, 46(29), 9415-9419. View this article in WRRO
- Insulating to metallic behaviour in the cation ordered perovskites Ba 2 Nd 1−x Fe x MoO 6. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 5(12), 3056-3064. View this article in WRRO
- Low-temperature densification of Al-doped Li7La3Zr2O12 : a reliable and controllable synthesis of fast-ion conducting garnets. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 5(1), 319-329. View this article in WRRO
- Microwave-assisted synthesis of highly crystalline, multifunctional iron oxide nanocomposites for imaging applications. RSC Advances, 6(87), 83520-83528. View this article in WRRO
- Fast microwave-assisted synthesis of Li-stuffed garnets and insights into Li diffusion from muon spin spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 4(5), 1729-1736.
- X-Ray Diffraction Computed Tomography for Structural Analysis of Electrode Materials in Batteries. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 162(7), a1310-a1314. View this article in WRRO
- Microwave-assisted synthesis and electrochemical evaluation of VO2 (B) nanostructures. Acta Crystallographica Section B Structural Science, Crystal Engineering and Materials, 71(6), 722-726.
- Muon studies of Li + diffusion in LiFePO 4 nanoparticles of different polymorphs. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2(17), 6238-6245. View this article in WRRO
- Chapter 7. Metal oxide nanoparticles, 204-224.
- Two applications of solid phantoms in performance assessment of optical coherence tomography systems. Applied Optics, 52(29), 7054-7054.
- Magnetic Nanoparticles for Targeted Cancer Diagnosis and Therapy, 29-63.
- Porphyrin-magnetite nanoconjugates for biological imaging. Journal of Nanobiotechnology, 9(1), 13-13.
- NMR Relaxation of Water in Nanostructures: Analysis of Ferromagnetic Cobalt-Ferrite Polyelectrolyte Nanocomposites. ChemPhysChem, 12(4), 772-776.
- A 3.90 V iron-based fluorosulphate material for lithium-ion batteries crystallizing in the triplite structure. Nature Materials, 10(10), 772-779.
- NMR studies into colloidal stability and magnetic order in fatty acid stabilised aqueous magnetic fluids. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 12(42), 14009-14009.
- Ordered Mesoporous Metallic MoO2Materials with Highly Reversible Lithium Storage Capacity. Nano Letters, 9(12), 4215-4220.
- VO2(B) nanorods: solvothermal preparation, electrical properties, and conversion to rutile VO2 and V2O3. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 19(25), 4362-4362.
- Controlled Reduction of Vanadium Oxide Nanoscrolls: Crystal Structure, Morphology, and Electrical Properties. Chemistry of Materials, 20(20), 6396-6404.
- Poly(sodium-4-styrene)sulfonate−Iron Oxide Nanocomposite Dispersions with Controlled Magnetic Resonance Properties. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 112(35), 13324-13327.
- Linear Assemblies of Magnetic Nanoparticles as MRI Contrast Agents. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130(13), 4214-4215.
- Multifunctional Magnetic-fluorescent Nanocomposites for Biomedical Applications. Nanoscale Research Letters, 3(3), 87-104.
- From Nanocrystals to Nanorods: New Iron Oxide−Silica Nanocomposites from Metallorganic Precursors. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 112(4), 1008-1018.
- Safe Labs for Science: an interactive approach to safety training. New Directions(3), 55-58.
- A Magnetic-Nanoparticle-Supported 4-N,N-Dialkylaminopyridine Catalyst: Excellent Reactivity Combined with Facile Catalyst Recovery and Recyclability. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 46(23), 4329-4332.
- “Jelly Dots”: Synthesis and Cytotoxicity Studies of CdTe Quantum Dot–Gelatin Nanocomposites. Small, 3(7), 1152-1156.
- Synthesis, Characterisation, and Biological Studies of CdTe Quantum Dot–Naproxen Conjugates. ChemMedChem, 2(2), 183-186.
- Magnetic-fluorescent nanocomposites for biomedical multitasking. Chemical Communications(43), 4474-4474.
- Emission properties of colloidal quantum dots on polyelectrolyte multilayers. Nanotechnology, 17(16), 4117-4122.
- Optimisation of the synthesis and modification of CdTe quantum dots for enhanced live cell imaging. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 16(28), 2896-2896.
- Magnetic nanoparticle assemblies on denatured DNA show unusual magnetic relaxivity and potential applications for MRI. Chemical Communications(22), 2560-2560.
- 2020 roadmap on solid-state batteries. Journal of Physics: Energy, 2(3), 032008-032008.
- Structure–property insights into nanostructured electrodes for Li-ion batteries from local structural and diffusional probes. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6(1), 127-137.
- Fast microwave treatments of single source alkoxides for nanostructured Li-ion battery electrodes. Chemical Communications, 52(58), 9028-9031.
- Metal oxide nanoparticles, 31-56.
- Pressure-induced cation-cation bonding inV2O3. Physical Review B, 92(13).
- Pressure-induced phase transitions and metallization inVO2. Physical Review B, 91(10).
- Ultra-rapid microwave synthesis of Li3−x−yMxN (M = Co, Ni and Cu) nitridometallates. Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers, 2(11), 1045-1050.
- Real-Space Investigation of Structural Changes at the Metal-Insulator Transition inVO2. Physical Review Letters, 105(5).
- Spontaneously formed porous and composite materials. J. Mater. Chem., 20(8), 1413-1422.
- Magnetite nanocrystals from a single source metallorganic precursor: metallorganic chemistry vs. biogeneric bacteria. J. Mater. Chem., 14(6), 944-946.
- In Situ Diffusion Measurements of a NASICON-Structured All-Solid-State Battery Using Muon Spin Relaxation. ACS Applied Energy Materials.
- Synthetic Methodologies, Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry II (pp. 1-15). Elsevier
- Chapter 7, Nanoscience (pp. 204-224).
- Chapter 2 Magnetic Nanoparticles for Targeted Cancer Diagnosis and Therapy, Nanomedicine (pp. 29-63).
- 4.01 Synthetic Methodologies, Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry II (pp. 1-15).
Conference proceedings papers
- Magnetic nanocomposite materials for the archeological waterlogged wood conservation. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- Nanostructuring at the interface for efficient and high capacity-performing free standing electrodes in all solid-state Li-S batteries. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 255
- Synthesis and Ionic Conductivity Studies of In- and Y-Doped Li 6 Hf 2 O 7 as Solid-State Electrolyte for All-Solid State Li-Ion Batteries. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 164(1) (pp a6395-a6400). Chicago, Illinois, US, 19 June 2016 - 24 June 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Probing structure and dynamics of nanomaterials for energy applications. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 250
- Phantoms for performance assessment of optical coherence tomography systems. Optical Diagnostics and Sensing XII: Toward Point-of-Care Diagnostics; and Design and Performance Validation of Phantoms Used in Conjunction with Optical Measurement of Tissue IV
- Porosity through reduction in metal oxides. MRS Proceedings, Vol. 1148
- New two in one magnetic fluorescent nanocomposites. Opto-Ireland 2005: Nanotechnology and Nanophotonics
- Preparation and biological investigation of luminescent water soluble CdTe nanoparticles. Opto-Ireland 2005: Nanotechnology and Nanophotonics