Emeritus Professor Cameron McLeod
BSc, PhD, DIC, CChem, FRSC (Professor of Analytical Science)
Department of Chemistry
Director, Centre for Analytical Sciences
Full contact details
Department of Chemistry
13 Brook Hill
- 1973 B.Sc. Edinburgh
- 1977 Ph.D. Imperial College, London
- 1977-1980 Research Fellow, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan.
- 1981-1995 Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader, Sheffield Hallam University.
- 1995-1999 Professor Department of Earth Sciences, University of Sheffield (1996-99 Head of Department).
- 1999-2009 Professor Department of Chemistry, University of Sheffield.
- 2009- Emeritus Professor Department of Chemistry, University of Sheffield.
- Research interests
Research concerns the development and initiation of novel and highly sensitive techniques for trace determination/element speciation in key areas of chemical analysis. Sample introduction/presentation and on-line reaction chemistry are key themes. Microcolumn flow injection systems provide a new route for enhancing performance in ICP emission and mass spectrometry, a particular success being the capability to speciate and determine toxic trace elements in environmental systems. Laser ablation is becoming an increasingly important analytical tool for spatially resolved and depth profiling studies in addition to providing bulk analysis data.
Research in progress includes new measurement techniques for strategic materials, (thin films, polymers, clean steels) and for interrogating tree bark pockets to assess past historical data (chemical pollution). In the life sciences and in the context of metallodrug therapy laser ablation has been developed as an interface between gel electrophoresis and ICP mass spectrometry to characterize metal protein systems. Most recent research relates to elemental imaging of MRI contrast agents and the imaging of labeled antibodies in cancer studies.
- Selected publications
- 1. Pb/Ca in Thailand coral determined by LA-ICP-MS: anthropogenic Pb input of river run-off into a coral reef from urbanized areas. K. Tanaka, S. Ohde, A. Sakaguchi, C.W. McLeod & A.G. Cox. Water, Air and Soil Pollution Dec. 2009 (on-line).
- 2. Imaging of gadolinium spatial distribution in tumor tissue by laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. N. Kamaly, J.A. Pugh, T.L. Kalber, J. Bunch, A.D. Miller, C.W. McLeod & J.D. Bell. Molecular Imaging & Biology Nov. 2009 (on-line).
- 3. A novel method for exploring elemental composition of microbial communities: laser ablation-inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry of intact bacterial colonies. J. Latimer, S.L. Stokes, A.I. Graham, J. Bunch, R.J. Jackson, C.W. McLeod & R.K. Poole. J. of Microbiological Methods 79, 329-335, 2009.
- 4. Combination of immunohistochemistry and laser ablation ICP mass spectrometry for imagining of cancer biomarkers. J. Seuma, J. Bunch, A. Cox, C.W. McLeod, J. Bell & C. Murray. Proteomics 8, 3775 - 3784, 2008.
- 5. Combination of gel electrophoresis and ICP-Mass Spectrometry – novel strategies for phosphoprotein measurement. V.L. Elliott, C.W. McLeod & P.S. Marshall. Anal & Bioanal. Chem., 383, 416 - 423, 2005.
- 6. Imaging and spatial distribution of beta-amyloid peptide and metal ions in Alzheimer’s plaques by Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry. R. Hutchinson, A.G. Cox, C.W. McLeod, P.S. Marshall, A. Harper, E.L. Dawson & D.R. Howlett. Anal. Biochem., 346, 225 - 233, 2005.